PDA

View Full Version : Alston, something different.

nowhereman
10-02-2010, 12:29
We have been working with the local business community to try and promote the tourism aspect of Alston Cumbria.
It may be possible that one of the local land owners may provide a site for wildcampers next to the North Tyne here in Alston. Cant post a definate on this but hope to find out in the near future.

If you fancy something a wee bit different to the usual touristy thing then how about getting up close and personal with an introduction to various wild birds of prey at Alstons local bird rescue sanctuary.
Although that may not be particularily different, the offer to have a one to one guided hunting experience with a Harris Hawk certainly is.:cool: A discount for wildcampers will be available.:)

We are also offering something a wee bit different. Apart from our usual evening classes teaching Goldsmithing/Silversmithing and Gemology, we also do one to one day courses. We have been teaching students of all levels for twenty years. Learning how to make a piece of jewellery and coming away with your own finished piece is very satisfying, and a little different to the usual touristy routine. We will offer forty pound discount to all wildies for a one to one day course:)

If anyone has an interest in this sort of thing, just make sure you book in advance. Drop me a pm if you wish further details.:)

bigboack
10-02-2010, 15:51
Alston looks good might have a wee gander some time, If this doesnt come about can you recommend somewhere to wild nearby.:):)

nowhereman
10-02-2010, 16:44
Alston looks good might have a wee gander some time, If this doesnt come about can you recommend somewhere to wild nearby.:):)

Yes no probs, anyone planning on Alston just get in touch and I will point in the right direction for a wildcamping spot.:)

syncrostan
10-02-2010, 16:58
Birds of prey sound good,will wait till warmer times!!

nowhereman
10-02-2010, 17:06
Birds of prey sound good,will wait till warmer times!!

Can reccomend it. Tis just a dedicated couple that run it 365 days of the year. They dont even charge to see the birds, they just ask for a wee donation to help look after the birds and horses.:) Not sure on the price of the Hawk hunting bit, but I do know it wont be much. :)

uglybaby
14-05-2010, 18:38

theres a nice spot at lambley viaduct,the carpark is quiet during the week,lots of lovely walks,,,and for those into that sort of ting, lambley viaduct is the largest lime repointing job ever!,:eek: ps the one with the totem pole lol

brockerfart
26-05-2010, 15:20
Yes no probs, anyone planning on Alston just get in touch and I will point in the right direction for a wildcamping spot.:)
Hi Nowhereman. I'm a newbie. I was looking for my first wild-camp in our new(ish) VW. I am in Hartlepool and I remember Alston from when I did the C2C some 9 years or so ago !
Can you point me in the right direction for where me and my 2 lads can stop over sometime soon (possibly this weekend) ?
Any help appreciated. Thank you.
Ian

nowhereman
26-05-2010, 15:40
Hi Nowhereman. I'm a newbie. I was looking for my first wild-camp in our new(ish) VW. I am in Hartlepool and I remember Alston from when I did the C2C some 9 years or so ago !
Can you point me in the right direction for where me and my 2 lads can stop over sometime soon (possibly this weekend) ?
Any help appreciated. Thank you.
Ian

At the moment there is no height barrier in the carpark on Nent road, tis ok for a night. A Few miles up the road it is fine to park overnight in the carpark at the Nenthead lead mine.
A wee bit more private is a pull in on the side of the road heading out of Alston towards Ashgill, the pull in is about two miles on the right, next to a section of trees.:)

Canalsman
26-05-2010, 16:19
A wee bit more private is a pull in on the side of the road heading out of Alston towards Ashgill, the pull in is about two miles on the right, next to a section of trees.:)

Would that be here? Nenthead, Alston - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/38d2oh5)

Mad Pierrre
18-01-2016, 16:01
POI listed as CR Lambley (A689) in Northumberland is currently being fully used as a compound for some utilities pipework job. Workmen say it will be restored to a car park after Easter. Local alternative spots are still fine.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS