PDA

View Full Version : west coast of Jutland Denmark

growlinson
06-03-2010, 16:20
Hello everyone - good to be a new member to this site! I hope to learn and be of help....

Has anyone got some tips for wilding on west coast of Jutland this summer? Plan is to drive up to Skagen from Esbjerg. All suggestions appreciated!

Geoff

Belgian
06-03-2010, 18:36
Hello everyone - good to be a new member to this site! I hope to learn and be of help....

Has anyone got some tips for wilding on west coast of Jutland this summer? Plan is to drive up to Skagen from Esbjerg. All suggestions appreciated!

Geoff

Hi Geoff,
Have a look at http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/denmark/3508-n-jutland-nordjyllands-amt.html and other threads about Jutland.
In general: the beaches of the west coast are a little bit infestet by German MH'rs (most Danish don't like Jerrys, only their money !). If you don't stick to the beaches you'll find enough spots/
- parkings of churches (most of them away from the village centre)
- parkings of nature reserves (a lot of them to the north of Jutland) ; get the leaflets in tourist offices.
- on several places in N-Jutland you can even park ON the beach between Blokhus and Hirsthals.
If you have a little patience: I'll have a meeting with other Scandinavia-lovers in a forthnight in the Netherlands. I think I'll have to post a lot afterwards.:eek:
Yours,
Leo

growlinson
06-03-2010, 19:38
Leo - many thanks and I very much appreciate your comments. Info on Denmark has to be 'dug out' it seems. I have the official stops from the Scandinavia/Benelux/Aires guide but it's comments like yours that are always priceless. I have this urge to tour Scandinavian countries and cut away from the familiarities (and delights of ) France etc. This will be our first step, and hopefully Sweden, Norway and Finland will follow when time allows!

Best wishes

Geoff

Belgian
06-03-2010, 20:47
Leo - many thanks and I very much appreciate your comments. Info on Denmark has to be 'dug out' it seems. I have the official stops from the Scandinavia/Benelux/Aires guide but it's comments like yours that are always priceless. I have this urge to tour Scandinavian countries and cut away from the familiarities (and delights of ) France etc. This will be our first step, and hopefully Sweden, Norway and Finland will follow when time allows!

Best wishes

Geoff
Hi Geoff,
If you have some more questions; please ask (you only risk a dump answer :D)
Glad to be at some service,
BTW: don't try to 'do' Scandinavia in one time: it is vast ! :cool:
Yours,
Leo

vanmandan
07-03-2010, 09:15
Here's a link to an article :

VW Camper Travels in Europe - DENMARK 2007 (http://www.langdale-associates.com/denmark_2007/denmark.htm)

taken from Barry & Margarets excellent website :

MagBaz Travels (http://www.magbaztravels.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/)

check it out for further articles on Scandinavia.

Pete Westy
07-03-2010, 14:43
Personally I found the west coast rather bleak but if you're going, then do it soon as all this coast is being eroded and deposited on the East. They keep having to build new lighthouses as they get so far from the sea! I loved Skagen and the extreme tip. (You can overnight in the car park and the loos are open all night.) Dont miss the Skagen Odde Nature Centre designed by Jørn Utzon, the Danish architect of the Sydney Opera House, this is a fascinating exhibition centre looking at how this area was formed and how it is eroding. (Not very well publicised in Skagen, we only found it by word of mouth)
You could get the ferry to Goteborg, good overnight spot with showers at the Saeby marina.

Don't miss Copenhagen and the bridge. The toll will seem cheap after you've been over! Don't drive into Copenhagen unless you don't mind being in bike traffic jams. (Train goes north close by the 162 road so you could overnight up there)
North of Copenhagen along the 162 is lovely, you could go to/from Helsingborg by ferry and make a round trip including the bridge.

My favourite area and also highly rated by the langdale associates site mentioned above was Mon. Visitor centre (you can overnight in their carpark) near the largest chalk cliff in Denmark about 2 hrs drive South from Copenhagen, and deals with the formation of chalk and flint. A wonderful visitor centre, very good multi language video displays and a stunning location. Much more beautiful than Beachy Head but somewhat smaller. Steps (1200!) lead to a wonderful beach. Worth travelling quite a way to see.
Further south on Mon, the beautiful medieval frescoes in the 12th century churches of Elmelunde, Keldby and Fanefjord. The walls and vaulted ceilings are covered with paintings created in the 15th century by an anonymous artist, known simply as the Elmelunde Master.
Easy way home via the Rodby ferry.
Have a good trip

Belgian
07-03-2010, 18:38
Completely agree with you Pete,
Another hint. You could go down from Skagen at the east coast.Take road 541 along the coast (cross the Limfjorden at Hala) make a little loop over Mariager and go for Djursland towards Grenaa. (a lot of wilding places at the coast); Visit the Jylland fregate (sailing vessel of the 1860 war) at Ebeltoft;
drive through Mols Bjerge towards Aarhus (the Gammle By is a beatufull open air museum-town). Keep as close as you can near the coast towards Horsens and Fredericia there the way to the island Funen is open (the garden of Danmark, and Odense). Hop over the bridge (free) to Langeland (see this island from top to bottom) Take the ferry Spodsbjerg > Taars and you are on Lolland (no LOL ;)) there you can get back to Germany via Rodby > Puttgarden ferry.
Have fun,

growlinson
13-03-2010, 18:08
Leo, Pete and Vanmandan - many thanks for your advice. Fantastic! I shall now consult my map and start planning an itinerary. I can see that I should travel further than Jutland (time is at a premium) so will head over to Copenhagen area etc. I have heard that chemical disposal in Denmark is not as easy as here, France and so on. Any comments ?

Geoff

Belgian
13-03-2010, 18:58
Leo, Pete and Vanmandan - many thanks for your advice. Fantastic! I shall now consult my map and start planning an itinerary. I can see that I should travel further than Jutland (time is at a premium) so will head over to Copenhagen area etc. I have heard that chemical disposal in Denmark is not as easy as here, France and so on. Any comments ?

Geoff
Hi Geoff,
Chemical disposal is easy
(BTW instead of the blue chemicals I use only detergents or shampoo - same result and free scent ;)
- look for Quick-Stop campings (late arrival, early leaving) + services
- loo's of churches will do, + tap
- idem marina's
- no problem with dry loos: they use chemicals themselves
To see something about Denmark:
Try to follow some parts of the 'Marguerit-route' (only 3500 km through the best of Danmark)
http://www.visit denmark.com/holland/nl-nl/menu/turist/oplevelser/attraktioner/sightseeing/themargueriteroute.htm (http://www.visitdenmark.com/holland/nl-nl/menu/turist/oplevelser/attraktioner/sightseeing/themargueriteroute.htm)
If you want to see something about Denmark:
Go via Tønder, have a little trip towards the island Rømø, visit the nice town of Ribe; make your way to the north – or by the coast- or via inland to Stuer > Mors > Thy, the coast of the Jammerbugten to Skagen. Get down at the other coast as described in east coast. Folow the Marguerit-route via Ebetoft and Århus towards Fyn (island Funen), Langeland ….Sjealand > Copenhagen.
Take your time: it's not done in one day :rolleyes:
Yours Leo
(BTW in a fortnight or so I'll review all adds about Denmark)

Pete Westy
13-03-2010, 23:12
Thats a really good tip about the Marguerit Route. The Google map click (http://map.netkvik.dk/0106) is new. Its really difficult to get hold of the paper maps. I would do some big copies of this map before you go as sometimes the signs are hard to spot if you don't have a clue where you are going. Have fun

growlinson
25-03-2010, 11:45
Thanks fellas for your suggested itineraries. I received a decent map from the D Tourist Board. Very good info on the chem toilet too!

I always think there's room for a book of Suggested Itineraries for various countries - rather than just directories of Aires, etc. I don't mean one that describes towns in historical detail - but simply a motorhomers view of a journey. Maybe I should get the laptop fired up and start !

Geoff

ShaDen
19-06-2010, 13:09
Hi Geoff,

Not sure if you have already gone off on your travels, but here are a few hints from me.
I am an ex pat, living in Denmark, been in over 20 years.

A lovely country, well worth visiting, even though there are no hills.

Lovely beaches, I live just outside Hals, on the east coast by the Limfjord. We have really lovely beaches and which are suitable for children. MHs often over night opposite ”storkøb” a shop, close to the harbour.

Danes on the whole are very friendly.

The older Danes often can't understand English, my sisters in laws husband is 64 and he didn't learn English as school.

When shopping look for the word ”tilbud” it means offer.

Look for the cheaper food shops i.e. Fakta, Rema 1000, Netto, Aldi, etc. – their food is just as good as the more expensive shops, but allot cheaper.

Fruit is often sold as say 10 pieces for 20 kr. (10 stk. for 20 kr.) you can take 10 different kinds of fruit. Tomatoes are also sold so many for so many kroner.

Cycles – yes there are many, and the riders are of all ages. Carefully when taking a right turn, and watch out for them, the cyclist has the right of way.

Germans – I have actually never heard any Dane say anything nasty about the Germans, even the older people, and I do live in a tourist town. There are many Germans with their MHs, that is true. The only thing I have heard people say is that the Germans come with everything, including toilet paper and don't often buy anything here.

Come well stocked with your normal food, English food is expensive here, well Danes don't really like baked beans, PG tips, etc. - instant coffee is expensive, most Danes have a perculator.

If you ask for coffee, you will get strong black coffee, if you ask for tea you will probably get earl grey and weak.

You are allowed to park your MH and go to sleep, a MH is classified as a car as regard to the law, and one can sleep in ones car.

You are not camping in the MH, so ignore these signs. you can ”picnic” with tables and chairs, but can't say starting putting up washing lines, then are camping.

A MH in Danish is called an ”autocamper”

Camping is the same word in Danish.

Hope these hints will be helpful and have a nice holiday.

Belgian
19-06-2010, 18:52
Hi Geoff,

Not sure if you have already gone off on your travels, but here are a few hints from me.
I am an ex pat, living in Denmark, been in over 20 years.

A lovely country, well worth visiting, even though there are no hills.

Lovely beaches, I live just outside Hals, on the east coast by the Limfjord. We have really lovely beaches and which are suitable for children. MHs often over night opposite ”storkøb” a shop, close to the harbour.

Danes on the whole are very friendly.

The older Danes often can't understand English, my sisters in laws husband is 64 and he didn't learn English as school.

When shopping look for the word ”tilbud” it means offer.

Look for the cheaper food shops i.e. Fakta, Rema 1000, Netto, Aldi, etc. – their food is just as good as the more expensive shops, but allot cheaper.

Fruit is often sold as say 10 pieces for 20 kr. (10 stk. for 20 kr.) you can take 10 different kinds of fruit. Tomatoes are also sold so many for so many kroner.

Cycles – yes there are many, and the riders are of all ages. Carefully when taking a right turn, and watch out for them, the cyclist has the right of way.

Germans – I have actually never heard any Dane say anything nasty about the Germans, even the older people, and I do live in a tourist town. There are many Germans with their MHs, that is true. The only thing I have heard people say is that the Germans come with everything, including toilet paper and don't often buy anything here.

Come well stocked with your normal food, English food is expensive here, well Danes don't really like baked beans, PG tips, etc. - instant coffee is expensive, most Danes have a perculator.

If you ask for coffee, you will get strong black coffee, if you ask for tea you will probably get earl grey and weak.

You are allowed to park your MH and go to sleep, a MH is classified as a car as regard to the law, and one can sleep in ones car.

You are not camping in the MH, so ignore these signs. you can ”picnic” with tables and chairs, but can't say starting putting up washing lines, then are camping.

A MH in Danish is called an ”autocamper”

Camping is the same word in Danish.

Hope these hints will be helpful and have a nice holiday.

Many thanks ShaDen,
It is allways very usefull to have info from an insider. Most welcome.:)
In a forthnight we’ll be heading north again. We usually take 2 days to get to Puttgarden and have the ferry to Rødby. On Falster we found a nice spot at Corselitze Hovedskoven (where the beech wood meets the sea ) some 10 years ago and aclimatize there for some days. Then further the Øresundbridge to Malmö and up north.
You’re so right if you say wilding is allowed (24h) ‘Camping forbudt’ is really for camping, not for overnight parking. I like the Danish definition about ‘camping’ and ‘parking over’:” … all activities (sic) should be inside the vehicle…;)otherwise it's camping) :D
Maybe you could have a look at the threads I posted before about Denmark. For I don’t know these are still up to date. Anyhow, in autumn I’ll post our adventures in Scandinavia.
Yours,
Leo (Belgian)

Roger
19-06-2010, 21:45
We followed the various "Margueritte (Sp?) Routes" around Denmark a few years ago. Nice quiet back lanes through really beautiful countryside. I think originally setup as a cycling route but was easy enough in a Campervan.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS