PDA

View Full Version : Mull of Galloway

Samson
10-03-2010, 18:22
On the approach to the Mull of Galloway lighthouse, at East Tarbet you will see a bay on the left down below, before the fields ahead of you that lead to the cafe and lighthouse. There is a twisting and steep road that decends to this bay, past a couple of old buildings. The farmer who owns and works the land allows overnight camping here for a few pounds ( he will call to your van and also have a chat, a friendly fellow.) He allows camp fires and only asks that no litter be left and that you leave no mess. Anglers use this site both for shore fishing and to launch their boats, and there will probably be half a dozen others camping here in vans or tents. It is a very nice spot to spend an evening with views over Luce Bay. The approach road is steep and narrow and will probably not be suitable for very large motorhomes.

Canalsman
10-03-2010, 22:56
I can't work out where this is on the OS map.

Can you provide a grid reference or latitude/longitude please?

Thanks ...

Canalsman
11-03-2010, 14:37
I've had another look at the map - is this the bay and quay at East Tarbet?

Samson
11-03-2010, 18:43
Canalsman,
Yes that's the right area, O.S. 82, 143310 .
This really is a nice spot. Let me know if you use it.
Regards.

Canalsman
11-03-2010, 22:11
Certainly will ...

Samson
03-05-2010, 16:06
Used this site again over the weekend. Noticed that the opposite bay, West Tarbet which is accessed by a closed gate can also be used. This may be useful, depending on which way the wind is blowing as both spots have a hill behind them. The farmer, (Bill) currently charges 2.00 per night for a tent or a van. Both areas can be accessed by a van as large as a long wheel based Sprinter or similar.

fromonthehill
14-04-2011, 18:02
No 'no overnight parking' signs at the carpark by the lighthouse. Could be a rather windy option though!

Canalsman
14-04-2011, 23:25
No 'no overnight parking' signs at the carpark by the lighthouse. Could be a rather windy option though!

Thanks - added to the database :)

Regards

Chris

groyne
29-08-2011, 16:26
Just an update, the farmer now charges 2 per head for adults (kids free). People where turning up with 3 cars and a big Continental frame tent sleeping 6 to 8 expecting to pay just 2 per night between them. :rolleyes:

Kath2112
08-07-2012, 12:45
:wave:
I have camped here two years ago (2010) does anyone know if the farmer still lets you camp there this year. I know he was getting fed up with the litter being left by some campers!

groyne
08-07-2012, 14:28
I camped at East Tarbot about a month ago, Bill's still charging 2 per adult per night.

Kath2112
12-07-2012, 08:14
Great thanks!

lotusanne
12-07-2012, 08:49
We went in April, took the right turn through the gate and down to beach, didnt see farmer and no-one else there, was beautiful spot, incrediblae views. There was a lot of litter though, evidence of campire parties and all thet entails.. bottles, cans, crips bags etc etc, I actually went round a collected a bagful, I dont blame farmer for being pissed off with rubbish..I felt outraged that people could be so thoughtless

keithhep
25-04-2013, 20:58

Stayed there July last year along with another van. Very quiet once the none motorhome grockles move off home. :-)

Incredible to watch the Gannets fishing off the cliffs

Smaug
25-04-2013, 21:04
This brings back memories. Back in the early 80's we stayed on an old WW2 concrete gun platform at the end of the Mull. You could hear the tide race roaring at half tide & the dog caught a couple of rabbits. Nobody asked for any fees back then, in fact there was no-one else in sight at all!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS