PDA

View Full Version : Dover

biggirafe
11-03-2010, 11:39
Hi
We plan to go to France from Dover in April and wondered where was a good place in or near Dover to overnight?

We will be travelling from Gloucester which will take all day and I recon parking up and getting an early Ferry will give us max driving time the next day to get where we want to go.

Or perhaps those more expereinced would say go over on a late ferry and park up on the otherside?

I know some of you are regular into France so what do you recon guys ???

Dezi
11-03-2010, 12:02
Hi
We plan to go to France from Dover in April and wondered where was a good place in or near Dover to overnight?

We will be travelling from Gloucester which will take all day and I recon parking up and getting an early Ferry will give us max driving time the next day to get where we want to go.

Or perhaps those more expereinced would say go over on a late ferry and park up on the otherside?

Hi, St margarets at cliffe at the end of Granville rd is OK for an overnight. Not knowing your direction on leaving Calais creates a problem, but cap Gris nez is good for south & the yacht basin at robert orientparade, nieuwpoort is good for north. Plus Calais itself at Digue Gaston Berthe near the beach always has a few motorhomes on it.

Hope this helps

Dezi

silverbike
11-03-2010, 12:16
Marine Drive is within 5 mins. of the port and regularly has vans using it for an early start.

barryd
11-03-2010, 13:16
Marine parade mark. Right next to port or cap griz nez wild spot south of Calais. Read first day and last day of my blog. Personally I like the idea of an early ferry then a good drive into france.

lebesset
11-03-2010, 13:31
personally I like an evening ferry , sleep the other side , start fresh in the morning when the fancy takes us

so , crossing to france stay in the port with all the other motorhomers

crossing to uk , marine parade , again with all the other motorhomers

biggirafe
11-03-2010, 14:49
Marine parade mark. Right next to port or cap griz nez wild spot south of Calais. Read first day and last day of my blog. Personally I like the idea of an early ferry then a good drive into france.

yep I'll take another look, Thanks

Are you back on the road yet?

biggirafe
11-03-2010, 15:15
I would get a late ferry over and park in Calais but having the kids its just not worth the agro trying to do too much in one day.

Thanks all have taken a look at marine parade, looks perfect, some bugger has already nicked the best spot but isn't that always the way :D
marine parade dover - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=marine+parade+dover&sll=52.604116,1.736569&sspn=0.012953,0.035405&gl=uk&g=marine+parade&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Marine+Parade,+Dover,+Kent+CT16+1,+United+Ki ngdom&ll=51.121358,1.31381&spn=0.026775,0.07081&t=h&z=14&layer=c&cbll=51.120884,1.313411&panoid=xLURNeSTCkcvpMogPMsMKA&cbp=12,51.38,,1,13.07)

Nolly
12-03-2010, 12:38
On our last trip we found a great wild spot at Oye Plage, just a few klicks east of Calias on the D 940. The kids will have a great time.

coolasluck
12-03-2010, 15:57
I would get a late ferry over and park in Calais but having the kids its just not worth the agro trying to do too much in one day.

Thanks all have taken a look at marine parade, looks perfect, some bugger has already nicked the best spot but isn't that always the way :D
marine parade dover - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=marine+parade+dover&sll=52.604116,1.736569&sspn=0.012953,0.035405&gl=uk&g=marine+parade&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Marine+Parade,+Dover,+Kent+CT16+1,+United+Ki ngdom&ll=51.121358,1.31381&spn=0.026775,0.07081&t=h&z=14&layer=c&cbll=51.120884,1.313411&panoid=xLURNeSTCkcvpMogPMsMKA&cbp=12,51.38,,1,13.07)

Christ i didnt realise google street was now live over here,spent all of last nightlooking around,and we were stunned to see our house,live,a tad bit worrying as well,what do you guys think?I can see the obvious pros but what if i was a burglar?

biggirafe
12-03-2010, 18:52
Christ i didnt realise google street was now live over here,spent all of last nightlooking around,and we were stunned to see our house,live,a tad bit worrying as well,what do you guys think?I can see the obvious pros but what if i was a burglar?

They can't see anymore than they could walking or driving down the road which is what they do now anyway, I don't think this is a problem

coolasluck
12-03-2010, 21:30
They can't see anymore than they could walking or driving down the road which is what they do now anyway, I don't think this is a problem

Ok i will break into your house when your motorhomes gone cheers longneck,leave the cash on the table,saves making a mess:D

barryd
12-03-2010, 23:15
yep I'll take another look, Thanks

Are you back on the road yet?

Not quite. The vans almost done and they fitted the new rear axle today. SHould get it back on Monday! Been down London yesterday and today working to pay for it!

Where you going in France then in April? May be over there meself with a little luck!

biggirafe
13-03-2010, 09:13
Not quite. The vans almost done and they fitted the new rear axle today. SHould get it back on Monday! Been down London yesterday and today working to pay for it!

Where you going in France then in April? May be over there meself with a little luck!

Were going to Keukenhof in Holland to see the bulbs fields, something Nic has always wanted to do :)
Anyone is welcome to join us :)

biggirafe
13-03-2010, 09:15
Ok i will break into your house when your motorhomes gone cheers longneck,leave the cash on the table,saves making a mess:D

You numb nuts :)
Its not live they are just pictures, ours was taken last year in spring, the front wall has been removed since then, the sattalite pictures are even older :D :D

Geoff.W
13-03-2010, 21:37
Hi

We always crossover in the evening and overnight in France as it's so much more convenient.

If your heading towards Holland try here:-

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/france/7384-dunkerque-stopover.html#post69856

Less than 30 mins from Calais and a nice spot.

defitzi
13-03-2010, 23:38
Hi

o GO GO lots of parking space t'other side. Drive into Calais town centre if you need stop that night big aire alongside marina by old canal dock.Avoid the one down by the beach-always very very crowded now it has been cut-back in size!and come v Calais,follow signs for aire and marina- both are along the old canal dock.then you can sleep late and wake up to La Belle France. after all, ferry is only a short hop these days.Enjoy but again, if you've not booked yet, please please look at Norfolk LINE to Dunkerk (Gravelines just 15 miles from Dover and be astounded by their prices: their MH deals are fab! ok I've just seen where U go so again, I repeat-check out Norfolk Line! My last crossing was 11.50m at 2 or 4 am so no need to go Calais. Dunkerk NEW PORT (PORT NOUVELLE) is actually just beside Gravelines WHICH IS 40UR VILLAGES (FIVE MAYBE) IN ONE COMMUNITYY. Graveline village ( ALSO gRAND fORTpHILLIPPE, pETIT pORT pHILLIPPE) ETC is well signposted- turn South directly you emerge on the roundabout at the exit from the Ferry area...follow signs to Gravelines (Port Vauban) And other campers also reccomend Gravelines. Elsewhere, I have posted a quite big screed with lots of infos somewhere on an other thread that someone paid me the compliment of saying i should be in their tourist office. There is a cracker there running it and she is very very helpfull.Maps an everything.Free too.Indeed, it is well worth a couple of days hols either at start or finish, on its own. Other thoughts-tyip: do shopping in one of (well signposted) Dunkerk Hypermarkets when heading North -I reccommend Auchan- east to access and stock up wines especially and/or spirits.... much cheaper than Netherlands and a bit less than Belge ( 22.5 vat I think)

defitzi
13-03-2010, 23:53

oops watch it- Marine Parade is efficently albeit courteously serviced by a pleasant traffic warden. here is very little camper/mh space available -only the very top end and it is heavily trafficked.
I was (politely and helpfully moved) so as to be able to sleep-in am. The only available disabled space had some local fishing sod parked on it most of the night and into th early hours it's just by the sailing school at and he parks there every evening at seven on the dot Which is why I cross asap- Dover is a bit of a nightmare compared to the other side. :)

defitzi
14-03-2010, 00:21
;)
Were going to Keukenhof in Holland to see the bulbs fields, something Nic has always wanted to do :)
Anyone is welcome to join us :)
Assume U kn ow Dutch very very hot on wilding Like 200E if caught (and they DO try to catch you). Some aires and growing but not vey many and mostly in North. Sodding greedy lot they are-want everyone pay top price but try to avoid paying for anything themselves- They are a plague down on Burgundy canals and the waterways where I keep my boat_ which is wht I'm moving up North. :p

biggirafe
14-03-2010, 06:42
We always crossover in the evening and overnight in France as it's so much more convenient.

If your heading towards Holland try here:-

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/france/7384-dunkerque-stopover.html#post69856

Less than 30 mins from Calais and a nice spot.

Hi Geoff
Thanks, long time since you posted,hope you and family are well :)

bill2b
14-03-2010, 07:37

I cant see burglars bothering too much with it, they just have to drive down the roads mid week and it there is a motorhome / caravan there they can come back at the weekend and if the motorhome / caravan is not there they burgle the house.
:mad::mad:

barryd
14-03-2010, 08:13
I just got a quote from P&O for Dover to Calais

8:30 am ferry Easter Monday 5th April 35

8:30 am ferry on Tuesday 6th 47

Whats that all about then? You would have thought it would be more on Easter Monday.

biggirafe
21-03-2010, 16:31
I just got a quote from P&O for Dover to Calais

8:30 am ferry Easter Monday 5th April 35

8:30 am ferry on Tuesday 6th 47

Whats that all about then? You would have thought it would be more on Easter Monday.

Hi Barry
Our plans are more definate now as a friend will no longer be camping with us easter weekend we intend to drive to Dover BH Friday and stay in Dover to catch an early morning ferry, if your interested we could get to Dover early enough to have a couple of beers????

barryd
21-03-2010, 16:57
Hi Barry
Our plans are more definate now as a friend will no longer be camping with us easter weekend we intend to drive to Dover BH Friday and stay in Dover to catch an early morning ferry, if your interested we could get to Dover early enough to have a couple of beers????

Hi Mark

I would definately have been up for that but we wont be at Dover until the Sunday evening now. Im going to this wedding in Oxfordshire which appears to be a three day affair so will be there from Friday till when I am sober enough on Sunday to drive to Dover. Have you seen Chris's wild camping map on this thread http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/motorhome-website-links/9161-wildcamping-map-7.html#post93052 as there are at least three options for Dover as well as Marine Parade? Fantastic stuff, he emailed me all the google earth and POI yesterday, brilliant.

Hope you have a great time chasing flowers in Holland while I chase the sunshine in the med!!!!!

We must meet up sooner or later and some of the other gang as well.

Cheers
BD

robniandlexi
23-07-2011, 19:57
As a new member I have found it really useful to read a few postings about park-ups. Is it still ok to park up on Marine Parade in Dover? My family and I are then heading North out of Calais to Brugges, on to the Rhineland around Koblenz, chugging down the Rhine and going near to Lake Lusanne and onto a campsite near Annecy. I would be really pleased to hear about any recommendations about park-ups that people have stayed in and enjoyed on that route.

Many thanks.

Robin

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS