PDA

View Full Version : dover

GARY ENGLISH
15-12-2006, 08:02
i have parked several times at monument no problems nice views and walks handy when using dover crossing get quite a few from abroad use it as well

rogerangie
15-12-2006, 12:35
What momument? Where? Details please.

David & Ann
15-12-2006, 18:08
Gary, not sure what you mean. Is that up on the cliffs where the Castle is?

cipro
15-12-2006, 19:54
If you are giving details of wild camp Gary please if you can road names small town areas so we have a chance of finding them. As you might know a good wild camp would be late at night when sites are closed,All the best.

GARY ENGLISH
16-12-2006, 07:33
Its the war memourial in St Margarets just outside of Dover. Its marked on most maps, Will check all threads on Monday off to Matlock!!!!

Nosha
28-12-2006, 09:04
See my last input for directions under the above heading - great spot and view.

vava1
21-01-2007, 12:18
think this must be st margarets bay http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=635000.262258146&Y=145000.69770659&width=700&height=400&gride=636907.262258146&gridn=144399.69770659&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=freegaz&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&keepicon=true&zm=0&scale=100000&in.x=5&in.y=8

grath
15-08-2008, 18:11
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_0799.jpg
Marine Parade Dover

grath
15-08-2008, 18:21
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_0798.jpg
Marine Parade Dover

grath
15-08-2008, 18:23
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_0797.jpg
Marine Parade Dover

grath
15-08-2008, 18:28
Marine Parade Dover

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_0798.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_0799.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_0797.jpg

robert b
15-08-2008, 20:05
how nice to seee my home town sea front thanks for the great pics

grath
15-08-2008, 20:23
how nice to seee my home town sea front thanks for the great pics

The pictures were taken at about 0830 in the morning:)

David & Ann
16-08-2008, 09:08
Booked Dover to Calais return with Sea France yesterday for 73.50. I will be parking up at Marine Parade as usual. No problems there.

grath
16-08-2008, 16:12
Try Dover Patrol Monument at St Margaret's as an alternative :cool:
The view is fantastic on a clear day

durhamwasp
17-10-2008, 11:10
cheers guys, will be taking a ferry at 6am in the morning and will use these parade spaces for an overnight kip!

DocHoliday
09-05-2009, 12:34
Marine Parade now has signs all over saying cars and motorcycles only, at all times, and there's a 2 metre width restriction at the entrance nearest the ferry port (but I could still drive in at 2.31m wide).

grath
09-05-2009, 13:59
Marine Parade now has signs all over saying cars and motorcycles only, at all times, and there's a 2 metre width restriction at the entrance nearest the ferry port (but I could still drive in at 2.31m wide).

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

grath
09-05-2009, 16:06
Just put a couple of pictures of Marine Parade on, in an earlier post in this thread.

grath
10-05-2009, 08:22
This post has been referred to and queried on Facts :confused:
Marine Parade Dover Forums (http://www.motorhomefacts.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=65133)

Dover District Council - General Information (http://www.doverdc.co.uk/parking/general_information.aspx)

Dover District Council - Caravan Parking (http://www.doverdc.co.uk/parking/general_information/caravan_parking.aspx)

DocHoliday
10-05-2009, 15:40
I've read the query and answers on MHF and it seems the signs I saw are widely ignored, with the police not bothering to enforce them, at least outside the hours 9am to 6pm. Someone says there's an area for cars & caravans but I must have missed that. Sorry for any alarm caused!

grath
10-05-2009, 16:34
I've read the query and answers on MHF and it seems the signs I saw are widely ignored, with the police not bothering to enforce them, at least outside the hours 9am to 6pm. Someone says there's an area for cars & caravans but I must have missed that. Sorry for any alarm caused!

Hi Doc, maybe they are new signs as I can't remember seeing any when I stayed there last year.:confused:
Maybe worth a telephone call sometime.:)
Thanks for your warning, at least we know to beware.:cool:

starblazer
10-05-2009, 19:28
the area for m/homes and caravans is at the old Hoverspeed Terminal end of Marine Parade but after 6 pm any vehicle can park there

bertie

Nolly
29-05-2009, 16:36
We are visiting the UK in June for a few weeks. Will be arriving in Dover at 2000hrs so we are looking for somewhere suitable to get our heads down for the night. Does anyone have any up to date info? St Margaret's sounds good, anyone know if it's still valid and the location? We dont really want an early start the following day. Hope this could be the start of our first experience of wilding in England, as from there we will be heading to the Peak District.

grath
29-05-2009, 16:39
We are visiting the UK in June for a few weeks. Will be arriving in Dover at 2000hrs so we are looking for somewhere suitable to get our heads down for the night. Does anyone have any up to date info? St Margaret's sounds good, anyone know if it's still valid and the location? We dont really want an early start the following day. Hope this could be the start of our first experience of wilding in England, as from there we will be heading to the Peak District.

I am pretty sure that Dover Patrol Monument at St Margaret's is still OK. Someone stayed there a couple of weeks ago.
For the Peak district try the Hayfield Camping & Caravanning club site. Quite a few threads and photo's on here.
Have a nice time:)

Nolly
29-05-2009, 16:54
Thanks for that Grath. Our three year old grand daughter will be travelling with us thats why we need to be confident of finding somewhere.
Thanks again.
Nolly.

grath
29-05-2009, 17:16
Thanks for that Grath. Our three year old grand daughter will be travelling with us thats why we need to be confident of finding somewhere.
Thanks again.
Nolly.

You always have Marine Parade Dover as a back up:)
Come out of the port and go straight over the roundabout and it is on your left.:)

Nolly
29-05-2009, 17:53
Thanks,always good to have a plan B. Three year olds tend to get a bit tichy that time of night.
Have just spoken to Hayfield camping they were really helpful. Mentioned your name. Thanks again.

grath
29-05-2009, 19:36
Thanks,always good to have a plan B. Three year olds tend to get a bit tichy that time of night.
Have just spoken to Hayfield camping they were really helpful. Mentioned your name. Thanks again.

Hi again.
Joan & Kevin the holiday site managers at Hayfield along with Fran & Steve the assistant holiday site managers are both motorhomers and I am very sure that they will make you very welcome and they are also Wildcampers:):cool:

Nolly
30-05-2009, 09:06
Yes she mentioned that she knew of this web site, and being motorhomers that they were into wilding. Also told me of the advantages of temporary membership of the Camping and Caravan club as a visitor to the UK it's possible to join for 3 months for 20 pounds. Could make sense as we have the little one. But we still want to try and wild camp when possible.
We are really looking forward to our trip. The last time that we were in the peaks was in 95 with the LandRover club greenlaning.
Thanks again for pointing us in the right direction.

cipro
11-06-2009, 16:51
parking at the marine parade, having read the above has anybody been after May too park there as I am going end of June and was thinking of staying there from about 21.00 hrs as the ferry is in the morning.
I don't fancy going up the cliff road to the monument parking, well I think
that is the way to it.
I have noticed other small roads near the parade are ok to stop over or is
the roads to narrow :confused::confused::confused::eek:

cipro
19-06-2009, 19:41
parking at the marine parade, having read the above has anybody been after May too park there as I am going end of June and was thinking of staying there from about 21.00 hrs as the ferry is in the morning.
I don't fancy going up the cliff road to the monument parking, well I think
that is the way to it.
I have noticed other small roads near the parade are ok to stop over or is
the roads to narrow :confused::confused::confused::eek:

Just to jog the above has anybody stayed at the marine parade, in the last couple of weeks and is it still ok to stop over night :):)

David & Ann
02-09-2010, 07:05
Just to jog the above has anybody stayed at the marine parade, in the last couple of weeks and is it still ok to stop over night :):)

Stopped at Marine parade 10 days ago. No problems between 18:00 hrs to 09:0hrs. (Free)

Motorvating
02-09-2010, 18:09
There is also a Motorhome Aires type thing at the park and ride in Caterbury (20 mins from dover)

Drive past the park and ride and the MH park is up on the right. You pay a couple of pounds for an overnight stop, which includes return bus tickets to canterbury centre. The park has a MH dump (manhole) and water. When you arrive you get a ticket from the chap in the bus station office, and pay when you leve by way of a ticket machine.

grath
08-01-2011, 12:30
Last summer we overnighted at Marine Parade on our way out and at The Dover Patrol Monument on our return.
We will most probably do the same this year!:D

buster
26-08-2013, 20:44
We are going to France in Sept can we stop overnight on Marine parade or is there somewhere else in or near Dover

Thanks Joyce

gypsy
26-08-2013, 21:48
We stopped overnight at marine parade last Thursday. No problems.

John Thompson
27-08-2013, 07:13
Parking is Free at night at The Esplanade and Waterloo Crescent. Marine Parade is a NO CARAVAN or MOTORHOME area.

This is from Dover District Council as a result of a Freedom of Information request. Reply received 12/08/2013

Map showing locations here Search Results (http://www.tmcto.org/index.php/component/search_gmapfp/242?Country=16:United_Kingdom&County=1:Kent&City=50:Dover&Categorie=-All-&Order=Newest&Modid=150-Search-GMapFP&Itemid=242)

Spaces are available on street in Dover at Waterloo Crescent and The Esplanade. Pictorial signage in this area indicates where caravan/motorhome parking is permitted and the nearby pay and display machines indicate the need to purchase two pay and display tickets. Motorhomes/caravans, trailers are not permitted to park on Marine Parade (outside the Gateway flats) or The Marine Court Premier Inn.
Parking Administration Team Leader
Dover District Council
Parking Services

GWAYGWAY
13-06-2014, 22:15
Hi
I actually live in Dover and I am really surprised that no body has thought about a proper site on the A2 for people to park up for short time before heading down to the ferries at night.
There are normally a load of MHs parked along the Marine Parade (seafront) along by the Dover Harbour Board Head office to the Gateway Flats ( the big building alongside the A2 in Town.
There are parking charges there up to I think 6.00 pm but OK after that. It is belonging to DHB but the council run the parking scam. Apart from there there is sod all as they, at the Council seem to think that charging for parking attracts visitors. I have had a couple of vans park near my house in River bur it is of the beaten track so not often used.

GWAYGWAY
13-08-2014, 19:10
I went to the monument in my car yesterday 12/8/14 to see what goes on there, as I live nearby. There were 14 MotorHomes and of those there were 3 UK the rest were austrian, german and one italian with two NL. One was a very big winnebago type bus chassis vehicle
I wonder where they get their info from.
The road up there is actually non adopted and the holes and ruts were horrendous for my car. There was also utility holes for new equipment in several places.It is not an easy trip there, broken crockery job.
I did spy a Ford Thames Trader camper, in someones front drive and very well presented it was too, at least 50 years old. a real restoration job.

theberties
14-01-2015, 20:14
Read somewhere that the overnighting on Marine Deive in Dover is now banned so can anyone confirm it please
Thanks

John Thompson
15-01-2015, 07:06
It has always been banned at the end near the Ferry Terminal in front of the Gateway Flats and the Hotel. There is no ban on the rest of marine drive at present although the council are considering it. There is and will be no ban on the Esplanade which is a continuation of Marine Drive (up by the Marina).

theberties
15-01-2015, 20:01
Thanks John, will head for there then Wednesday night

Cornishaich
16-01-2015, 08:59
We have stayed a couple of times just up the road at the Plough & Harrow <http://www.shepherdneame.co.uk/pubs/deal/plough-harrow> 51.211494,1.299581
Good food too. Hopefully will be there again in April on our way to the Lot and Cele areas.

Harry

POI Admin
16-01-2015, 14:00
We have stayed a couple of times just up the road at the Plough & Harrow <http://www.shepherdneame.co.uk/pubs/deal/plough-harrow> 51.211494,1.299581
Good food too. Hopefully will be there again in April on our way to the Lot and Cele areas.

Harry

Thanks for the info - I've added it to the Pub Stop POIs :D

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS