PDA

View Full Version : newbies to wildcamping

BessieRules
15-03-2010, 20:40
Getting married in gretna green...gonna tour scotland...never wild camped before...and want to know where we can empty our loo as the caravan club wont let us empty our loo or take on water on route...havent found the answer anywhere...please help!!!!

champstar
15-03-2010, 21:22
If a member of Camping and Caravanning club you can use the motorhome stop of facillity at its sites for a fee of around 5 which gets you the use of showers laundry and water and waste.
Also look out for public toilets to dump loo if you use environmentally friendly chemicals...you may also get water here.
Try Youth hostels..we did up north and got water no problem.
There are many community grazing lands up north west where you can camp for a small donation and usuually you can get water.

gairn
15-03-2010, 21:28
A commercial site might take your toilet waste albeit for a small fee - no harm in asking - you could always just stay on the site for a decent shower etc!
All the best
gairn

John H
16-03-2010, 09:51
We have always found that garages will let you empty the loo casette and fill up with water (provided you buy your fuel there, of course). Also, we have several times in the more remote areas of the north been allowed to use, for free, the facilities of campsites (private ones - not the dreaded CC Club ones) if they are full - but this only happens in peak season. If they are not full you could try offering a couple of quid and see what happens. Alternatively, adopt a regime of one day on a campsite and two or three days off (this all depends on the capacity of your tanks, of course). Enjoy Scotland - its wonderful even in bad weather (we know, we were there last summer - or what passed for summer!) and have a great married wilding life.

kenjones
16-03-2010, 12:21
Toilet cassettes are designed to be emptied down toilets. Public loos are ok if you are not near a site. Best do it at a quiet time so you don't annoy anyone.
I often do this when touring.

mandrake
16-03-2010, 13:32
as for the loo emptying we use public loos as long as you dont use nasty chemicals ,water can be got from petrol stations easy enough to fill the tank as for water for drinking ie in juce we get it from asda its only 13p per litre bottle ( i would have said bottled water is ok to put with a glass or two of whiskey but i will risk the wrath of some of our whiskey loving fraternity):eek::D

champstar
16-03-2010, 14:41
You need some good scottish water for that if you dare!!!!

magbrin
16-03-2010, 19:07
If you are in the Highlands we are near Inverness and centrally situated and would be delighted to see you one night. We offer the very basics, but you can empty loo and fill with water - we may even be able to offer a shower by then visit Brin Herb Nursery - Highland home of herb plants and wild flowers. (http://www.brinherbnursery.co.uk) for more details of what/where we are, and if you would like more information please let me know

ajs
16-03-2010, 21:32
( i would have said bottled water is ok to put with a glass or two of whiskey but i will risk the wrath of some of our whiskey loving fraternity):eek::D

:eek: relax... it's OK in cheep blended sheeet... even 50/50 in irish poojuice :rolleyes:

regards :D
aj

guerdeval
17-03-2010, 10:49
congratulations, and also a thankyou to Brin herb nursery:D

skye
19-03-2010, 14:54
Hello from skye I did exactly the same three years ago it was wonderful pics are on this website have a look. We travelled up before the big day and continued after and it was great. We did like alot of others have said wildcamped but did fit in the odd night in very reasonable sites where we could empty and fill oh and enjoy a long hot shower. I did notice though often vans came in and payed a small fee to just use the facilities didnt notice anyone getting turned away. A cheap place no showers but toilets empty points and waste was Forrestry Commision site on left side of LochRannoch in the Tay Forrest 3.00 beautiful spot great for relaxing or walking head to Pitlochry then along the Loch Tummel and you will find the way.Another site is at Lochgilphead this is a reasonably priced site however i definately noticed people asking at reception if they could just pay to use facilities. Whatever you do just enjoy every minute you could not have picked a better place to honeymoon in :) good luck

cannybairn
20-03-2010, 16:46
Getting married in gretna green...gonna tour scotland...never wild camped before...and want to know where we can empty our loo as the caravan club wont let us empty our loo or take on water on route...havent found the answer anywhere...please help!!!!

If you decide to go to the Outer Hebrides (which are stunningly beautiful) most of the small ferry terminals have a tap and also somewhere to empty waste (inc toilet) Eriskay also has a shower! Calmac are the ferry operators to the islands.

BessieRules
21-03-2010, 15:21
many thanks for ur reply i have taken note of the places u said...we needed to know as we are coming from cambs and was not sure what we were going into with this wildcamping lark...we have booked into a couple of sites but have studied further sites on route up to the highlands to john o' groats...sounds like it is a wonderful place for our honeymoon...thats what we thought...congrats on getting married there too...we cant wait!!!...

BessieRules
21-03-2010, 15:27
Many thanks skye for ur reply....we are coming up from cambs to gretna and then onto the highlands and felt we needed to know what we have let ourselves in for doing this wildcamping lark...we will make a note of all the places u mentioned...oh and congrats on ur wedding at gretna...we cant wait!!!!... :O)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS