PDA

View Full Version : Italy trip July

dunk
24-03-2010, 12:17
hi there,
new plan we have booked the eurotunnel and my navagator (wife) wants to go to the Italian lakes & Venice.
what would be the best route to take (i hear the tolls are a fortune in France ) my van is plated to 3850kg loaded.
i would like at least 1 stop on the way as i will be doing all the driving.

all comments are welcome.

dunk

Dezi
24-03-2010, 13:00
hi there,
new plan we have booked the eurotunnel and my navagator (wife) wants to go to the Italian lakes & Venice.
what would be the best route to take (i hear the tolls are a fortune in France ) my van is plated to 3850kg loaded.
i would like at least 1 stop on the way as i will be doing all the driving.

all comments are welcome.

dunk

Hi, I have travelled to Italy each year since 1998 visiting family meandering along most routes to get there in the process. Time is the main factor - if you are official old gits "retired" as we are then longer routes + a bit more fuel is not a problem. Other wise I suggest the following. Calais, north to Dunkerque, sharp right onto the E42 /A25 to Namur, south on the A4 / E411 to Luxemburg. Fill up with cheap fuel, Continue south avoiding toll road until you reach Colmar. Cross into Germany "no toll road" heading towards lake Constanz. From then its either Swiss or Austian tolls if you use the motorways until Italy where the same criteria reigns. Thats enough to get you thinking. Come back if I can help with more detailed questions.

Dezi

Belgian
24-03-2010, 13:19
Hi, I have travelled to Italy each year since 1998 visiting family meandering along most routes to get there in the process. Time is the main factor - if you are official old gits "retired" as we are then longer routes + a bit more fuel is not a problem. Other wise I suggest the following. Calais, north to Dunkerque, sharp right onto the E42 /A25 to Namur, south on the A4 / E411 to Luxemburg. Fill up with cheap fuel, Continue south avoiding toll road until you reach Colmar. Cross into Germany "no toll road" heading towards lake Constanz. From then its either Swiss or Austian tolls if you use the motorways until Italy where the same criteria reigns. Thats enough to get you thinking. Come back if I can help with more detailed questions.

Dezi
Hi,
Dezi, surely pointed out a good route. I go on from lake Constanz (Bodensee): continue in South Bavaria (north side of the Alps) at Füssen cross Austrian border > Innsbrück. Don't use the motorways in Austria - take the 'old' roads over the Brenner-pass to Südtirol (Alto Adige) in Italy. Italian motorways are cheaper than French but take the normal roads (far more to be seen). Only warning: Italian drivers are 'loco' :rolleyes::D

dunk
24-03-2010, 13:26
thanks dezi,
we have 15 days to get there & back so a couple of days each way is ok by me 6-8 hrs is to long to sit in the drivers seat for me (lol)
any good places to stop on the way ?

dunk

Dezi
24-03-2010, 14:18
thanks dezi,
we have 15 days to get there & back so a couple of days each way is ok by me 6-8 hrs is to long to sit in the drivers seat for me (lol)
any good places to stop on the way ?

dunk

Hi, This year - !3 May I catch the 4.00 ferry to Calais. 1st night motorway services “ Spy “just before Namur. Park under the lights in clear view. 2nd night Col Du Bonhomme “large free parking area behind bar on left at crossroads. 3rd night stopping in Konstanz because Madam wishes to have a day looking at the spring flower display on Mainau island. 4th night lake side near Silvaplana just south of St Moritz. Then my niece has the dubious pleasure of me parked up on her drive for a week before heading West, then south to Avignon & a few weeks meandering along the Dordogne river.Its a lousy stinking rotten existence – BUT somebody gotta do it !!!
Finally I can recommend the recommend – Camping Serenissima - Via Delle Saline, 34, 51016 Montecatini, 30030 Venice, Italy‎ - 041 92 18 50‎ - Bus stop outside the gate takes you straight to the water taxis in Venice. Although a couple of free parking areas are available near Venice I would not use them. Hope this helps
Dezi

vanmandan
24-03-2010, 14:45
I usually go the same route as Belgian
over the Brenner Pass.
1st town in Italy is Vipitano ...
huge parking lot at the ski lift good for wilding.
on your right just as you enter the town.
My favourite Lake is Iseo .... much less touristy
than the big lakes ..... feels more Italian to me.
Good campsites right by the lake, but also easy
wildcamping in the centre of Iseo town.
(you'll see the vans)
In Venice I usually stay ay Camping Fusina.
Expensive, but very handy for the quick water taxi
into the city.Great views of Venice at night if you can
get a waterside pitch.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff68/bobfan66/LakeIseoNItaly.jpg (http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff68/bobfan66/?action=view&current=LakeIseoNItaly.jpg)
Lake Iseo.

Belgian
24-03-2010, 15:01
Hi Dezi,
May I suggest NOT to use the motorwayparking at Spy: noisy and not that safe (Charlerloi is often called 'Belgian Chicago' :mad:).
Instead take the next exit (12) > Namur, follow the left bank of the Meuse-river (N92) southwards. You have spots at:
NAMUR
● P Blvd de la Meuse > pont de Jambes, Port Plaisance (dimanche: brocante) S=Capitainerie, gratis
PROFONDEVILLE (69E3)
● P Rive de Meuse
● P cimétière N 50 22 52.3, E 4 51 45.1
ANHEE (69F4)
● P along Meuse river
DINANT (69F4)
● P left bank, Av. Colonel Cadoux ( capitainerie). 7pl tap, N 50 15 37.8, E 4 54 36.5
● P right bank >< Rocher Bayard N 50 14 38.5, E 4 55 15.1
● P Rue Remparet d’Albeau (Meuse)
● P Abbaye Leffe (THE beer-abbye)
● P Citadelle (above town) N 50 15 40, E 4 54 59.6
Then take the N94 and you are back on the E411 towards Luxembourg
Leave at exit 32 (Arlon) take N81 > Athus, Longwy (F) leave at the last Belgian exit (4) to fill up at a Luxembourg petrolstation (500m away - 3-country corner) (even cheaper than on the motorway near Luxembourg itself).
Back again to exit 4; go around Longwy and take the express-way N52/A30.
In this way you avoid the petrol queus in Luxembourg and the messy bends at Thionville. You get back at the (free) motorway north of Metz. Via Nancy you'll get your way towards Col du Bonhomme (a nice parking at the col)
Enjoy,
Leo

Dezi
24-03-2010, 15:29
Hi Leo, I did know about a couple of the other spots you mention buuut in over twenty years of meandering the high road & by roads of Europe, including the former eastern sector, I have never experienced a problem providing I adhere to the aforementioned formulae.However I promise that if I do not arrive to late then I shall take advantage of your ever useful knowledge.Merci, Mon ami

Dezi

John H
24-03-2010, 20:54
Can't add anything to the route suggestions above but when you get to Venice you'll find the campsites are very expensive. We stayed for 3 nights in the 24 hour guarded car park at the end of the Lido de Jeselo (it cost 13 euros per night about four years ago - a lot cheaper than the nearby cramped campsites) and was right next to the vaparetto (water taxi) station that takes you to the heart of Venice. Have a good trip.

Dezi
25-03-2010, 06:35
Hi, Just found this, might help make up your mind. Camping Serenissima 2010 prices- CAMPING SERENISSIMA - Prices (http://www.campingserenissima.com/prezzi/prezzi%20ING.htm)

Dezi

dunk
08-05-2010, 10:08
HI there,
Weare no longer takeing the van to Italy:(:( (to far for one driver at 50-60 mph) and never driven in Europe.
we are going in the car instead :( , We have booked a site beside Venice and one at Lake Garda.
we have a few weekends booked away with the van and are looking to go to Wales in august for a couple of weeks (we went there lastyear to a cottage and saw hundereds of vans)
Not what we wanted but it will get us used to the roads over there and will take the van next time (france we think)

Thanks for all the info (will use it next time)

dunk

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS