PDA

View Full Version : newbie at motorhoming

BessieRules
26-03-2010, 12:24
Can somebody help...am travelling around scotland wildcamping in places...can we travel with ANY water on board our motorhome?? or is it advisable to carry water in containers??....thanks :)

suej
26-03-2010, 12:34
Sure, you can travel with water in your water tank. Wouldn't travel with it full tho if it's a biggie, unless your going to be out in the wild for days on end.. (although we have in the past till we got more sense).. as it makes your van heavier and therefore heavier on fuel

jann
26-03-2010, 13:11
We always start off with a full tank, then we can use our own water that we are used to for as long as possible. We take a small container with us for picking up water which we use for washing .

gairn
26-03-2010, 18:56
Hi there
Quite new to this as well. Been carrying plenty fresh water with no problems but a full tank plus hot water heater plus toilet cistern is about 90 litres or about 90kg so same as another passenger. I try to get rid of grey water and toilet waste regularly as that really is unnecessary weight. Depends how often you can access supplies. I've got a 25 litre jerry can which is handy although awkward when full. Has a tap though so can go without main tank if reqd, esp when really cold.
Cheers
Gairn

John Thompson
27-03-2010, 07:03
Can somebody help...am travelling around scotland wildcamping in places...can we travel with ANY water on board our motorhome?? or is it advisable to carry water in containers??....thanks :)

I always carry water in my fresh tank but empty the waste and toilet cassette.

Joan was on a Motorhome Driving course yesterday and the instructor advised not to run with a part filled tank. His advice was empty or full.

Some people only drink bottled water However we use our tank for all our water.

Carrying water in other containers risks spillage and takes up precious space

I cracked the floor of a caravan by having a 5 gall water container fall over. This then leaked and I blamed that for the floor delaminating.

Hallii
27-03-2010, 09:28
Find out what the Maximum Loaded Weight and front / rear axle loads are for your van.

Then fill up with water and all your gear and go and weigh it.

Hopefully you will be OK.

But you might get a surprise!

I always travel with my tanks full, I like to be self sufficient.

Hallii

coolasluck
27-03-2010, 10:11
We normally try to travel with minimal water,and then look for water when we are near to our destination.Normally your water is the first thing to run out so we fill our tank,after making sure that we have also filled our boiler, and also fill 2 five gallon containers this allows us also to stay put in one location longer.For us we ran out of battery power on a recent jaunt where we stay put 3 times for two nights each.But as we never moved around much the battery did not charge enough!!
We brought a new 110 amp battery at the exeter motorhome show on the way home,the old one was an 85 amp battery so am wondering if i should keep it on board as a spare or just put in in the garage?

coolasluck
27-03-2010, 10:14
I always carry water in my fresh tank but empty the waste and toilet cassette.

Joan was on a Motorhome Driving course yesterday and the instructor advised not to run with a part filled tank. His advice was empty or full.

Some people only drink bottled water However we use our tank for all our water.

Carrying water in other containers risks spillage and takes up precious space

I cracked the floor of a caravan by having a 5 gall water container fall over. This then leaked and I blamed that for the floor delaminating.

I have 2 5 gallon plastic containers that are water tight,i picked them up from my mate at the chinese i work for on a monday night,really useful when you cant use a hose,an essential really.They were used for soya sauce.

jenspen
27-03-2010, 11:18
We have a 45 litre water tank on board which we keep as full as possible. We also have a 25 litre container stashed behind the drivers seat and a 5 litre container. But we wild for several days without moving and we also do all our own washing. No showers though and a smaller washing up bowl than provided with the van.

pappajohn
27-03-2010, 14:11

depends on the construction of your tank.

mine straddles the seatbelt frame under the dinnete seat so is almost two seperate 40ltr tanks.

half a tank will slosh from side to side and become unstable unless some kind of baffle is fitted...ie: same as mine

grath
27-03-2010, 16:36
As we wild quite a bit we travel with a full tank (130 litres). I know it is heavy but we are able to have 2 to 3 showers each depending on if we wash our hair.
We also top up when ever we can and regularly empty the waste.
It lasts us for up to 3 days:)
Watch out that you are not over maximum or axle weight though.:)

GregM
06-04-2010, 12:39
We always fill the on board tank before we leave home, or leave a CS/CL site. A couple of weeks ago we thought we may wild camp so also filled an aqua roll we have.

I do need to ask though, those that wild camp, what do you do with the toilet waste? and where do you fill with water?

Thanks

Motorvating
06-04-2010, 19:14
We usually travel with enough water to get to our destination area, and then fill up to our max of 200 litres which will last us three of four days.

Filling up can be done at garages, pubs that have camp sites (often free camping).

Dumping black water can be done at pubs with campsites, some campsites will charge a small fee for dumping only. We have a hose from black water tank that we often empty down a waste sewar if we can find one. I have seen people empty cassettes down public loos.

The secret is to be aware of whats around you, and be an opportunist.

GregM
06-04-2010, 21:37
Hadn't thought about using public loo's.:D

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS