PDA

View Full Version : Inverawe

champstar
05-04-2010, 19:21
A FC car park on the unclassified road that leads to Inverawe smokehouse and country park. The road is about 2 miles but follow the signs for the smokehouse...well worth a visit the cafe serves good food and lots to do..the car park for the FC is about a quarter of a mile from the smokehouse. Dont know but the area to the side is marked off for archery targets so might be busy in the summer...very quiet location..with good walks.

magbrin
05-04-2010, 19:46
A FC car park on the unclassified road that leads to Inverawe smokehouse and country park. The road is about 2 miles but follow the signs for the smokehouse...well worth a visit the cafe serves good food and lots to do..the car park for the FC is about a quarter of a mile from the smokehouse. Dont know but the area to the side is marked off for archery targets so might be busy in the summer...very quiet location..with good walks.

We are heading for Inverawe in a couple of weeks to collect stock for the shop (smoked salmon, Argyll ham, smoked venison etc) although not sure that we will stay just there. There must be lots of other good spots close by. I spent many happy holidays in the Lochawe area in my younger days and we were married in a little church on the east side of the loch. I can picture some ideal wilding sites, but not sure that they are still there, I know there are some statics about towards the south end of the loch. Also Loch Etive, at Bonawe. There is a little pier and I imagine there are some spots there too. Perhaps someone has been there recently.

maingate
05-04-2010, 19:51
Just a bit of general information for this part of the world:

Last week, we found most places had no overnighting signs. As it was before Easter (being the traditional start of the tourist season) we just ignored them.

From Oban, going south on the A816, there is a large pull in just past Kilmore and overlooks Loch Feochan. It is not directly overlooked by houses and we had a peaceful night (very little traffic).

We overnighted in the main car park in Mallaig despite the no overnighting sign. It is on your left as you arrive. There were vehicles, a caravan and a boat which had obviously been there a long time, so we give it a shot and had a quiet night. All other parking places in the town have no overnight signs.

These spots may be a problem in the busy season but when we go back out of season, I believe we will have no problems with enforcement of the no overnighting. The locals said not to worry about the signs.

magbrin
26-04-2010, 22:06
Having visited Inverawe last week I can confirm that the spot on Loch Etive I was thinking about is an ideal site. Follow the road through Taynuilt and keep right. Follow the signs for the Bonawe Ironworks (Historic Scotland Monument well worth a visit) but instead of turning right to the car park continue on to the end of the road. There is a large car park just by the old pier. Fnatastic views all round - especially up Loch Etive. A little traffic - dog walkers & fishermen mainly.

Canalsman
26-04-2010, 23:20
Having visited Inverawe last week I can confirm that the spot on Loch Etive I was thinking about is an ideal site. Follow the road through Taynuilt and keep right. Follow the signs for the Bonawe Ironworks (Historic Scotland Monument well worth a visit) but instead of turning right to the car park continue on to the end of the road. There is a large car park just by the old pier. Fnatastic views all round - especially up Loch Etive. A little traffic - dog walkers & fishermen mainly.

See it just here ... bonawe - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/3xy3jfn)

magbrin
29-04-2010, 13:04
That's it but it wasn't as busy as that when we were there:D

Happychick
12-08-2010, 11:20
I've just spent the night at this carpark and slept like a top. I was the only vehicle here after dark. Up to dusk and after about 0900 folks came and went, but were mostly rod fishermen renting boats or kayakers. I was a bit concerned as I'm on my own with my wee dog for company, but the Scottish rain poured until about 0200 so I was not worried. Woke up this morning to blue skies and a flock of resident swans. I'd stay another night but need water. Thanks for the recommend. :)

mikeflys
08-09-2010, 18:36
Visited this site at Taynuilt on route north, and don't see any problems here, other than a little busy with fishermen and jet skiers when we arrived, but I am sure it will be quieter later in the evening.However, we decided to push on. Crossing the Connel bridge, we took the first right heading for Bonawe. If you keep right on to the end of the road
(och aye Mr Lauder ) you will come to a quarry. You have gone too far so turn at the quarry and 300 mtrs or so back the way you came and you will see a post box on your right. Across from this is a large area concreted and level. I reversed off this behind the bushes, allowing even better views. No problems here, virtually across the water from Taynuilt.Couple of lorries from about 7:30 at quarry, seals in the bay, but no hassle. I will post other stops of our trip, and some photos etc ASAP for anyone interested. Just a wee addendum here. I am informed that if you continue to the very end of the road as we did, you can open the gate and across a couple of fields you can camp by the shore. Not having this info at the time, and
being unsure, we did a 7 point turn due to a badly parked 4X4, and returned to the spot described in the foregoing. I cannot verify this info as we haven't tried it, but it does come from a local source.

Went back in July 2011, but area mentioned was covered in portacabins, some work going on at quarry I guess.

ellieloy
13-08-2011, 10:05

We went up here but turned back as our van looked like it wouldn't go under the bridge! - stayed at Bonawe instead - lovely :)

ellieloy
13-08-2011, 10:07
Follow signs for the Iron Furnace off the main road A85 at Talnaught, and then make your way to the end of the track - very peaceful

Canalsman
13-08-2011, 22:37
We went up here but turned back as our van looked like it wouldn't go under the bridge! - stayed at Bonawe instead - lovely :)

The railway bridge is 12'6" clearance - so shouldn't trouble motorhomes I wouldn't have thought ...

David & Ann
13-08-2011, 22:40
It will me, 3' 1", especially in Italy where most of their Railroad bridges along the coast are 2.2m high.

Canalsman
13-08-2011, 23:18
It will me, 3' 1", especially in Italy where most of their Railroad bridges along the coast are 2.2m high.

3'1" ???

David & Ann
14-08-2011, 07:09
Sorry Canalsman, I meant 3.1m, or 3m.10cm, or 310cm, or 3100mm. ☺☺☺Thank you for spotting the error. It is taking me time to get used to the British measurements.☺☺

Canalsman
14-08-2011, 12:22
Sorry Canalsman, I meant 3.1m, or 3m.10cm, or 310cm, or 3100mm. ☺☺☺Thank you for spotting the error. It is taking me time to get used to the British measurements.☺☺

I make that 10' 2" - so the bridge won't be a problem :)

David & Ann
14-08-2011, 14:21
I make that 10' 2" - so the bridge won't be a problem :)

In Italy a lot are. Not the normal roads, those bridges are okay. The ones where the main road runs parrerell to the railroad tracks which are right on the coast. You need to take the slip road and go under the bridge to get to the beach. 9 times out of 10 they are no more than 2.2m to 2.5m. I have had many a time had to reverse back with a whole pile of cars blaring their horns.

ellieloy
15-08-2011, 22:19
Nothing i have in our vehicle documentation gives us a definitive height but its defo taller than our previous camper, and we have checked it by a local bridge that we know it wont go under and are using that as a gauge at the mo. (I emailed the manufacturer but got no response). If anyone knows the height of A Rimor Superbrig 728 then please let us know.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS