PDA

View Full Version : French canals

Belgian
03-05-2010, 18:52
Some of the best wilding spots in France are to be found alongside or in the direct neighbourhood of their, mostly of the 19th century, canals. In the past I really found some gems overthere.
Now I discovered that there is a website about French canals: Canals in France (http://members.tele2.nl/Mouringh.Marga/index_eng.htm)
You can follow them with satelite views and discover parking spots this wayMaps of the world, street map search - powered by Multimap (http://www.multimap.com/maps)
Have a good trip
(I'll be in Burgondy this week)
Leo

grath
03-05-2010, 19:02
Thanks Leo.
I can most certainly concur as we usually head for the canals:cool::)
We have found some really nice locations.
err, no we haven't. don't want you lot coming as well:p:D horrible dirty smelly places:D
sh don't tell anybody:D

Dezi
04-05-2010, 06:58
Hi, I agree with you Leo, the canal sides are often overlooked. We frequently travel down from the Loire valley towards Moulins in central France and always stop on a free Aire at Sancoins. Several other villages / small towns along the N76 have made Aires available, canalside.

Dezi

Nolly
04-05-2010, 10:19
Some of the best wilding spots in France are to be found alongside or in the direct neighbourhood of their, mostly of the 19th century, canals. In the past I really found some gems overthere.
Now I discovered that there is a website about French canals: Canals in France (http://members.tele2.nl/Mouringh.Marga/index_eng.htm)
You can follow them with satelite views and discover parking spots this wayMaps of the world, street map search - powered by Multimap (http://www.multimap.com/maps)
Have a good trip
(I'll be in Burgondy this week)
Leo

Hi Leo;
We will be cruising in Burgundy at the weekend for a few days. Starting with the Seille then up the Saone to Chalon where we will be heading up the Canal du Centre as far as Chagny. Then back up the Saone to St Jean de Losne. Will keep a lookout for you, be nice to meet up for a glass of the red stuff that they seem to be famous for around here:)
Another very good guide for the canals which is in English French and German, is the Guide Fluvial Editions du Breil. This also gives info on places where boats can pick up groceries water and electric, which can be useful for motorhomers.Carte Fluviale - France Waterways Maps and Guides (http://www.carte-fluviale.com/en/) It also also has info and history on the villages along the canals which makes the trip more interesting. We carry a complete set.
Bonne Route, Nolly.

Nolly
04-05-2010, 10:53
Thanks Leo.

err, no we haven't. don't want you lot coming as well:p:D horrible dirty smelly places:D
sh don't tell anybody:D

Could'nt agree with you more Grath. Really orrible places;) Dont know what the attraction is.:D Could'nt be the Pretty villages,Tranquil, or the Good fishing:) Cant work out why we're off cruising in Burgundy at the weekend.:confused:
Hope to give Leo a broadside:D:D
Regards Nolly.

Belgian
04-05-2010, 20:24
Could'nt agree with you more Grath. Really orrible places;) Dont know what the attraction is.:D Could'nt be the Pretty villages,Tranquil, or the Good fishing:) Cant work out why we're off cruising in Burgundy at the weekend.:confused:
Hope to give Leo a broadside:D:D
Regards Nolly.
Hi Nolly,
We didn't make detailled plans yet.
Probably we will go upstream the Meuse towards Toul and Langres and then west of Dijon towards Autun and then ???? (>>>>we'll try Burgundy wines in some 'France Passion' of course :D)
On se voit quelque part:cool:
Leo

Nolly
04-05-2010, 21:38
Will keep a lookout for you Leo.:cool:
But where ever you go you're bound to come across some nice places. If your around Autun & you have'nt been there already, Mont Beuvray in the southern Morvan is well worth a visit. But keep an eye on the weather according to the meteo the whole of France is in for it by the end of the week.:( We are getting a battering right now.:(
Bonne chance.:) Nolly.

bastonjock
04-05-2010, 21:45
there is a website by an english guy called gresham that is basically about travelling on the French canals,it makes for great reading.

there are also a lot of folks who do it on Narrow boats or what is referred to as wide beam narrow boats,if you think that your diesel bill is bad for your MH,its nothing in comparrison with an boat

Nolly
05-05-2010, 09:06
there is a website by an english guy called gresham that is basically about travelling on the French canals,it makes for great reading.

there are also a lot of folks who do it on Narrow boats or what is referred to as wide beam narrow boats,if you think that your diesel bill is bad for your MH,its nothing in comparrison with an boat
There's no comparison with the lifestyle, but it's not for everyone:) We're looking for a widebeam narrowboat as a permanent home on the French Canals:)
Have you read Narrowdog to Carcassonne by Terry Darlington? :)

Nolly
05-05-2010, 09:23
Hi, I agree with you Leo, the canal sides are often overlooked. We frequently travel down from the Loire valley towards Moulins in central France and always stop on a free Aire at Sancoins. Several other villages / small towns along the N76 have made Aires available, canalside.

Dezi
Next time you're that way if you have'nt done so already, at the top of the Canal du Nivernais there's the Etange de Baye. It's a beautiful spot you can park under the trees near the lock by the side of the lake.:)

bastonjock
06-05-2010, 12:26
There's no comparison with the lifestyle, but it's not for everyone:) We're looking for a widebeam narrowboat as a permanent home on the French Canals:)
Have you read Narrowdog to Carcassonne by Terry Darlington? :)

ive done quite a lot on boats,i was considering a plan to leave peterborough by way of the Nene and hug the coast down to Callais and hop across to the french canal system

There are quite a few people that i know who have a MH and a boat,im looking at selling my boat and buying a MH,i also want a canoe as i love wild camping and bushcraft.

Nolly
06-05-2010, 14:00
ive done quite a lot on boats,i was considering a plan to leave peterborough by way of the Nene and hug the coast down to Callais and hop across to the french canal system

There are quite a few people that i know who have a MH and a boat,im looking at selling my boat and buying a MH,i also want a canoe as i love wild camping and bushcraft.
What type of boat do you you have? If your looking to sell and its this side of the channel I could be interested. Dont know if i would part with the motorhome though as its handy for trips back to the UK, and also finding someplace a little warmer in winter.

bastonjock
09-05-2010, 22:49
Hi Nolly

Thanks for the offer but my boat is a sailing boat,its a 26ft powersailor:)

Nolly
10-05-2010, 12:18
Hi Nolly

Thanks for the offer but my boat is a sailing boat,its a 26ft powersailor:)
Thanks for the info Bastonjock, much appreciated.
Although she sounds a great boat were looking for something a little more livable for a couple of old wrinklies.:D
If you do bring her over and then decide to sell Revue Fluvial (http://www.fluvialnet.com) is a good place to find a buyer without the need for brokers.:)
It's also another good source of info covering the waterways of France.:):
Regards Nolly.

vindiboy
11-05-2010, 18:52
I also love the French Canals.:):)

grath
12-05-2010, 13:44
I also love the French Canals.:):)

Thanks Vindiboy, nice pictures and we have noted them.
We have stayed at Castlesarasin and near by Moissac and will be returning to them again this year.
Thanks again:cool:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS