CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New POI system and mobile apps.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B598

New POI system and mobile apps.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    As many of you know I have been working on the new POI system and APPs for a while now. The problem I have is that the APPs are a new field for me, so I am having to educate myself as I go along. This really slows the process.

I have now taken the decision to outsource the jobs and get them to finish my work. This is costing a lot of money, however, I think that in the long run, the benefit to our members is worth the expense. Work is already underway and I am working with the company every day to ensure that the final system and apps are what we need.

The company I have chosen (from over 100 who quoted the work) were the most expensive, they were more than double the average quote, but their reputation and reviews are the best. The always deliver on time, they always deliver on budget and their customers are always 100% satisfied. So I feel that paying top price for the best is worth it.

The main POI system will be fully delivered and functional within seven weeks of today.
    The mobile apps will be delivered and functional within twelve weeks of today.

The new system is very flexible. It allows anything to be a POI, and for that POI to have any attributes we choose. To add a new category or sub-category takes seconds. POI types have selectable attributes, these can be connected to each POI or excluded. So an LPG station won't a cost per night, and a campsite won't have a price per litre. All POI locations have a rating, they can all have reviews, they can all have photos/videos uploaded and they all have extended attributes.

The APPs mimic the main system functions, but they synchronise with the main live database. They will also have offline mapping.

Members can:

Add new locations
    Report locations
    Suggest edits to location data
    upload photos
    upload video clips
    rate locations
    review locations
    Search using filters

I will update this thread as things progress.

The new system is also Worldwide
    Likes Debs liked this post
    Thanks Bigusdickus, PinkFlowerPetal thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Old bus
    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    As many of you know I have been working on the new POI system and APPs for a while now. The problem I have is that the APPs are a new field for me, so I am having to educate myself as I go along. This really slows the process.

I have now taken the decision to outsource the jobs and get them to finish my work. This is costing a lot of money, however, I think that in the long run, the benefit to our members is worth the expense. Work is already underway and I am working with the company every day to ensure that the final system and apps are what we need.

The company I have chosen (from over 100 who quoted the work) were the most expensive, they were more than double the average quote, but their reputation and reviews are the best. The always deliver on time, they always deliver on budget and their customers are always 100% satisfied. So I feel that paying top price for the best is worth it.

The main POI system will be fully delivered and functional within seven weeks of today.
    The mobile apps will be delivered and functional within twelve weeks of today.

The new system is very flexible. It allows anything to be a POI, and for that POI to have any attributes we choose. To add a new category or sub-category takes seconds. POI types have selectable attributes, these can be connected to each POI or excluded. So an LPG station won't a cost per night, and a campsite won't have a price per litre. All POI locations have a rating, they can all have reviews, they can all have photos/videos uploaded and they all have extended attributes.

The APPs mimic the main system functions, but they synchronise with the main live database. They will also have offline mapping.

Members can:

Add new locations
    Report locations
    Suggest edits to location data
    upload photos
    upload video clips
    rate locations
    review locations
    Search using filters

I will update this thread as things progress.

WOW!!!

Thanks Phil
    I wanna go fishin!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota
    As you can see there is a great deal of work going on behind the scenes.

What we will all enjoy when complete is a 'best in class' system.

I can hardly wait!
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk

Pauljenny is offline INTERNATIONAL PLAYBOY
    Name: erm?
    Spouse: Management, ?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bentley Indigo
    Money well spent, Phil.
    Any chance of it being available for Windows phones,please?
    To the pure in mind, all things are pure

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B598
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauljenny View Post
    Money well spent, Phil.
    Any chance of it being available for Windows phones,please?
    The online app will work on the phone like a mobile app, but it will not have offline mapping.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Suntor 590 RS
    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    it will not have offline mapping
    I think you've made a bad decision there! I always use the POI's on maps.me, simply because the mapping is offline. I find doing this straightforward, but many, many others do not.

All the other features you mention are most welcome and are what most users have come to expect these days, but not providing an offline map facility means that your app will have less functionality and be of less use in remoter areas (large chunks of the NC500, to name just one on my doorstep) as well as not being able to compete with 2 other sites in particular. One of these already provides this in their app and the other is about to release an app that provides this.

I'd strongly urge you to reconsider.

(None of this will stop me from renewing my membership!)

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B598
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyR View Post
    I think you've made a bad decision there! I always use the POI's on maps.me, simply because the mapping is offline. I find doing this straightforward, but many, many others do not.

All the other features you mention are most welcome and are what most users have come to expect these days, but not providing an offline map facility means that your app will have less functionality and be of less use in remoter areas (large chunks of the NC500, to name just one on my doorstep) as well as not being able to compete with 2 other sites in particular. One of these already provides this in their app and the other is about to release an app that provides this.

I'd strongly urge you to reconsider.

(None of this will stop me from renewing my membership!)
    The mobile apps do have offline mapping.
    If you have a phone with an operating system that has less than a 1% market share, you will have to use the website version of the app. Then web version does not have offline mapping.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleper Nuevo ES
    I hope it works out, as a famous astronaut once said ... "As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder".

Fingers x'd.

Chrz Mul.
    If at 1st you don't succeed ... skydiving probably isn't for you
    Likes Bigusdickus liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Adria Sonic Supreme
    This is an amazing step forward and having commissioned a simple app once,I appreciate how much work there is. There are bound to be teething problems but it it will be so worth it. IT is the way to go. Thank you. Really looking forward to being able to add and review site as we travel.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1996 Dethleffs Globe Trotter
    Sounds great, I can't wait to try it

Regards,
    Del
    I have PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) I'm Positive, I'm Mental and now I have Attitude.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information