Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum Updates 2

Member Number
    Motorhome
    AutoSleeper Duetto

Forum Updates 2

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hi-De-Hi

After the recent forum update, there has been one feature that no longer works correctly. This is that the front page (vbAdvanced) no longer marks threads as read correctly. The actual forum software does, but the front page does not. Vbulletin has removed some core code that the modules rely on. After many hours of searching no one with Vbulletin 4 has managed to fix this problem. I am guessing that they have done it deliberately to force forums to upgrade to VBulletin 5.

I have changed the "Whats new?" button on the navigation bar to display unread posts since your last visit from all forums as a temp fix.

VBulletin 5 has been around for 5 years now and is very stable but is nowhere near as flexible as VBulletin 4. My problem is that the current POI system is intertwined into the VBulletin 4 code and VBulletin 5 won't support it. The new POI system is stand alone and only uses the member database for access control.
    VBulletin 4 has now had its last release, so we do have to upgrade to a supported backend for security reasons.

So the plan...

I have installed a version of VBulletin 5 today on the server and have populated it with a backup copy of this forum. Once I have got it to perform more like this current site I will ask members to go and have a look and give me feedback. Then we can look at changing over from one to the other.

I may do this on 1st of October or 1st of November depending how much time I get.

I will keep you updated.

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Hi-De-Hi

After the recent forum update, there has been one feature that no longer works correctly. This is that the front page (vbAdvanced) no longer marks threads as read correctly. The actual forum software does, but the front page does not. Vbulletin has removed some core code that the modules rely on. After many hours of searching no one with Vbulletin 4 has managed to fix this problem. I am guessing that they have done it deliberately to force forums to upgrade to VBulletin 5.

I have changed the "Whats new?" button on the navigation bar to display unread posts since your last visit from all forums as a temp fix.

VBulletin 5 has been around for 5 years now and is very stable but is nowhere near as flexible as VBulletin 4. My problem is that the current POI system is intertwined into the VBulletin 4 code and VBulletin 5 won't support it. The new POI system is stand alone and only uses the member database for access control.
    VBulletin 4 has now had its last release, so we do have to upgrade to a supported backend for security reasons.

So the plan...

I have installed a version of VBulletin 5 today on the server and have populated it with a backup copy of this forum. Once I have got it to perform more like this current site I will ask members to go and have a look and give me feedback. Then we can look at changing over from one to the other.

I may do this on 1st of October or 1st of November depending how much time I get.

I will keep you updated.
    Keep up the good work,

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Old bus
    Hi-De-Hi

So the plan...

I will keep you updated.
    Leave yourself some time to play with your new 'tourbus'
    I wanna go fishin!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    AutoSleeper Duetto
    Quote Originally Posted by Edina View Post
    Leave yourself some time to play with your new 'tourbus'
    I drove down there yesterday to sign the paperwork and sort out a few things. I needed to take some photos under the van for SAP who are doing the suspension upgrade for me.
    Likes Edina, Lee liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Once you get your tongue back in gloating over the new van im sure the site will work %100 .
    Only dirty people wash

grath is online now Full Member
    Name: Graham
    Spouse: Kathleen

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B654 SL Star, 3 Ltr, 4500kg
    Just entered our names and edited vehicle and all has now disappeared from my posts

edit
    Seems I entered the post at the same time as every other poster seems to have similar details now gone, so not just me
    Last edited by grath; 13-09-2017 at 16:14.
    Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine
    Graham+Kath = Grath

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer 694 - Renault master pvc
    Didn't understand a word of that Phill, keep up the good work
    When you don't care what anyone thinks of you, you have reached an awesome level of freedom

Member Number
    Motorhome
    AutoSleeper Duetto
    Quote Originally Posted by grath View Post
    Just entered our names and edited vehicle and all has now disappeared from my posts

edit
    Seems I entered the post at the same time as every other poster seems to have similar details now gone, so not just me
    All finished with the edit now.

Members have to enter fresh data to have it displayed on the forum.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hobby 750
    Hi-De-Hi

So the plan...

I will keep you updated.
    Eh?

Cheers

H
    Likes trixie88 liked this post

grath is online now Full Member
    Name: Graham
    Spouse: Kathleen

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B654 SL Star, 3 Ltr, 4500kg
    All finished with the edit now.

Members have to enter fresh data to have it displayed on the forum.
    Was just saying for feedback, I guessed you were having a twiddle about
    Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine
    Graham+Kath = Grath

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information