Motorhome
    iveco eurocargo

Sedbergh, Cumbria

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Likes Canalsman liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    2011 Adria Matrix M680SP
    You're obviously not too fussy about your overnight stops Paul. These unprotected roadside laybys are cluttering the database unnecessarily in my opinion.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco eurocargo
    Quote Originally Posted by Croftland1 View Post
    You're obviously not too fussy about your overnight stops Paul. These unprotected roadside laybys are cluttering the database unnecessarily in my opinion.

Maybee you could add a few and others wouldnt have to

Member Number
    Motorhome
    2011 Adria Matrix M680SP
    Quote Originally Posted by paul h View Post
    Maybee you could add a few and others wouldnt have to
    I've added many good stops Paul.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco eurocargo
    Quote Originally Posted by Croftland1 View Post

Rural layby near Waverton, Cheshire is this a protected layby spot or am i missing your point
    Last edited by paul h; 18-08-2012 at 10:44.

Deleted user 21925 Guest
    I think all POI's are added with the best intentions, it is up to Canalsman whether he adds them or not.
    Likes mariesnowgoose liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco eurocargo
    Quote Originally Posted by Robmac View Post
    I think all POI's are added with the best intentions, it is up to Canalsman whether he adds them or not.
    exactly my father used to take us to the spot i added due to the train line and bridge trains arnt my bag but do appeal to others

Member Number
    Motorhome
    2011 Adria Matrix M680SP
    Quote Originally Posted by paul h View Post
    Rural layby near Waverton, Cheshire is this a protected layby spot or am i missing your point
    Yes I think you're missing it. I visited the Waverton layby personally and found it to be very large with the protection of trees and vegetation at the end. I would be happy overnighting there and consequently shared it with the other members. Please have it taken off if you believe it's unsafe.

I do most of my wildcamping in Cumbria and my frustration is that the database once contained a very adequate list of quality wildcamp locations. Unfortunately there now appears to be some inane competition to list as many insignificant road widenings as possible to the POI database and I believe this has resulted in members having to plough through far too much dross in order to find somewhere that is a reasonable prospect for a pleasant overnight stay.

The database is now very diluted and far less useful to me. I don't think I am on my own with this frustration. What do others think?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Elddis Autostratus
    I recently added a thread citing the criteria for POI submission, which you'll find here:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/...-criteria.html

In here you'll see that for an A-road to qualify, there must be a physical separation from the carriageway to make the spot more likely to be safe.

The Waverton layby is on an unclassified road, so doesn't need to be separated.

The place that PaulH submitted is on an A-road, but was added before I settled on the base criteria.

I have had a look at the spot using Streetview, and this should probably be removed.

If there are other places that are similarly outside the criteria, please submit an update through a new thread under POI Updates and I'll review them.

Thanks.

Chris
    Likes N/A, Croftland1 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    I have to admit that most of the POI's are unsuitable for a large coachbuilt van.

I am at present planning an extended Scottish trip (weather permitting) and there are very few POI's that I can use. I am finding my own and hoping for the best. It was much the same 2 years ago when we did this trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information