Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Spending more than 90 days in Europe after March

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    As long as out paths dont cross, I can live with that
    Clock is ticking for you in more ways than one, I would have thought making the most of life more important than you hogging political threads within a forum.

Anyways, sitting in a pub near parliament after another day of strike action, this is how ones point is made, being active, not spouting off, within a forum, which I am sure not many politicians frequent.
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Quote Originally Posted by Minisorella View Post
    John, that's not really a reason for rudeness and name-calling on the forum is it, especially as the post you responded to was lighthearted.

I don't believe that anyone here truly needs to justify their position to you or anyone else? An opinion expressed is just an opinion. We are all allowed to have different ones and it's interesting, informative and often fun to share and debate them... I'm sharing mine now. On the other hand, the rules of the forum are clear, whatever our opinion of them.
    The post was part of a long sequence of posts which, if taken together, give a different picture. Of course, you are correct, no-one has to justify themselves to me or anybody else. However, if they make statements that are in direct contradiction to the way they actually behave that cannot be called anything other than hypocrisy and if they keep saying the same thing then they must expect to be picked up for it. It is not a difference of opinion I am objecting to (I have very civilized debates with people who take different opinions) it is his hypocrisy.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    N+B Arto 69GL(2003)
    Yes you can get a visa from, for example, Spain for longer than 90 days. However, as I explained earlier, it is difficult, expensive and short-term only. You need to apply to the Spanish Consulate in your home country in person and not more than 3 months or less than one month prior to your anticipated arrival. You have to bring with you a whole raft of documents, including a criminal records check (paid for by yourself) proof of sufficient funds to cover your intended stay, proof of private medical cover (including repatriation) and the reasons for your stay (I'm not sure they would regard wanting to sunbathe sufficient). All of these documents have to be professionally translated into Spanish (not cheap) and there is a fee (I believe around 70 euros) which is non-refundable in the event of refusal. If you get through that lot and want to do the same thing again next year, they will ask why you are not applying for residency (and thus paying your taxes to them rather than the UK).

If all that was not enough to put you off, trying to get medical cover for more than 3 months if you are retired and with pre-existing conditions is both difficult and expensive. I was quoted a premium that would be more than the cost of spending the winter in Australia - and they have free reciprocal health care with the UK!

So, in summary, it is possible but many, like me, may consider it just not worth the effort or expense.

PS if you google "how can I get round the 3 month Schengen rule?" you will pick up lots of USA website forums where people have asked that question. The USA, being a non-EU country, is already subject to the rule. The answers are nearly always the same - you cannot if you wish to be legal.
    I was talking about ordinary 90 day visas not longer.

So can one apply for a visa from individual governments, for Spain from 1st April for 90 days . One for Germany from 1st June for 90 days and one for France from 1st August for 90 days? Then travel back to UK on 20th November? Without breaking any rules in any country. EU and Schengen do not write laws controlling citizens directly - the Rules have to be re-drafted into law by Nation States. So at the time one leaves France one still has a French Visa which has not expired. So what law has one broken and in which country?

Geoff

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    The post was part of a long sequence of posts which, if taken together, give a different picture. Of course, you are correct, no-one has to justify themselves to me or anybody else. However, if they make statements that are in direct contradiction to the way they actually behave that cannot be called anything other than hypocrisy and if they keep saying the same thing then they must expect to be picked up for it. It is not a difference of opinion I am objecting to (I have very civilized debates with people who take different opinions) it is his hypocrisy.
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
    I was talking about ordinary 90 day visas not longer.

So can one apply for a visa from individual governments, for Spain from 1st April for 90 days . One for Germany from 1st June for 90 days and one for France from 1st August for 90 days? Then travel back to UK on 20th November? Without breaking any rules in any country. EU and Schengen do not write laws controlling citizens directly - the Rules have to be re-drafted into law by Nation States. So at the time one leaves France one still has a French Visa which has not expired. So what law has one broken and in which country?

Geoff
    No - you cannot do that. For stays of less than 90 days in any individual member state, you still have to apply for a Schengen visa, which covers all of them (unless you live in a country that has a visa waiver). It is only for stays of over 90 days that individual countries can issue separate visas.
    Thanks nicholsong thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Quote Originally Posted by runnach View Post
    Illustrating my point, I believe

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Quote Originally Posted by runnach View Post
    Clock is ticking for you in more ways than one, I would have thought making the most of life more important than you hogging political threads within a forum.

Anyways, sitting in a pub near parliament after another day of strike action, this is how ones point is made, being active, not spouting off, within a forum, which I am sure not many politicians frequent.
    Classic diversion technique - I think Ill use you as a textbook example

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Kontiki 640
    Dunno if this needs a separate thread but I just picked this up from the Brexit thread on FACTS.

Insurance implications if you have a prang in Europe after Brexit.

"Road traffic accidents in the EU
    From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, UK residents involved in a road traffic accident in an EU or EEA country should not expect to be able to make a claim in respect of that accident via a UK-based Claims Representative or the UK Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB).

Instead, UK residents involved in a road accident may need to bring a claim against either the driver or the insurer of the vehicle in the EU or EEA country where the accident happened. This may involve bringing the claim in the local language.

In the event of an accident in an EU or EEA country caused by an uninsured or an untraced driver, UK residents may not receive compensation if there is no EU Exit deal. This will vary from country to country.

If involved in a road traffic accident in an EU or EEA country before 29 March 2019, you may need to bring legal proceedings in the UK against either the insurer or the MIB before 29 March 2019. After 29 March 2019, you may need to bring legal proceedings against either the responsible driver or the insurer of the vehicle in the EU or EEA instead. If you need more information about this, you should seek legal advice."

Lifted from this document. Prepare to drive in the EU after Brexit - GOV.UK

I think this forum and my own has a relationship with AIB so I could ask them to comment although Im not sure even insurance brokers necessarily know whats going on either.
    Thanks alcam thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    N+B Arto 69GL(2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by barryd View Post
    Dunno if this needs a separate thread but I just picked this up from the Brexit thread on FACTS.

Insurance implications if you have a prang in Europe after Brexit.

"Road traffic accidents in the EU
    From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, UK residents involved in a road traffic accident in an EU or EEA country should not expect to be able to make a claim in respect of that accident via a UK-based Claims Representative or the UK Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB).

Instead, UK residents involved in a road accident may need to bring a claim against either the driver or the insurer of the vehicle in the EU or EEA country where the accident happened. This may involve bringing the claim in the local language.

In the event of an accident in an EU or EEA country caused by an uninsured or an untraced driver, UK residents may not receive compensation if there is no EU Exit deal. This will vary from country to country.

If involved in a road traffic accident in an EU or EEA country before 29 March 2019, you may need to bring legal proceedings in the UK against either the insurer or the MIB before 29 March 2019. After 29 March 2019, you may need to bring legal proceedings against either the responsible driver or the insurer of the vehicle in the EU or EEA instead. If you need more information about this, you should seek legal advice."

Lifted from this document. Prepare to drive in the EU after Brexit - GOV.UK

I think this forum and my own has a relationship with AIB so I could ask them to comment although Im not sure even insurance brokers necessarily know whats going on either.
    Barry

Like many Government pronouncements I believe this is flawed, as it does not state that it concerns claims against Third Parties.

Claims for damage to one's own vehicle, e.g. if one runs into a ditch, could still be made against one's UK Insurer, because one has a UK-binding contract with that insurer, if it covers travel in the EU.

Geoff

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
    Barry

Like many Government pronouncements I believe this is flawed, as it does not state that it concerns claims against Third Parties.

Claims for damage to one's own vehicle, e.g. if one runs into a ditch, could still be made against one's UK Insurer, because one has a UK-binding contract with that insurer, if it covers travel in the EU.

Geoff
    But that only applies as long as you are driving LEGALLY in the EU. For example, if we leave without a deal on March 29th then it is likely that you will need an IDP. If you are already in the EU and going home you won't have one. Thus you will be driving illegally and that will invalidate your insurance.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information