Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by mark61 View Post
    There is a calculator.

Calculator manual

Calculator.

this is the bit which is of interest.

Among others, it means that an absence for an uninterrupted period of 90 days allows for a new stay for up to 90 days
    Likes Clunegapyears liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Sprinter
    Strange, I'm pretty sure I have read previously that the 180 is rolling. So you look back 180 days, and you can't be over 90 days in that period.
    Was a while ago, I may have that wrong, and I can't remember where I read it.

Found it,
    Schengen / Short-stay Tourist Visa Calculator
    Last edited by mark61; 09-02-2019 at 23:34.
    Thanks alcam, nicholsong thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    fiat-ducato ci carioca 694

sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
    Thanks for this, I think. Iím going to take this at face value. Iíll trust my gut feeling on this. Where I can Iíll cover my BS, and go to the continent with hope, a smile and a skip in my step.
    Oh! And my fingers crossed 🤞
    bit more trotting for you,p.s. take it slow,ok,pj

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacarr E412

Insurance after 70

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
    World Nomads give you the boot at 65 and by 70 your choices are dwindling at the same rate as the premiums are rising. 75 is another hurdle with less or no choice, even higher premiums and severe restrictions on how long each trip can be.
    Nationwide have informed me that as of 1st Jan this year the price increase formerly at 75 now takes place at 70. Which effectively means they wanted another £40 off me to continue to cover the overseas trips I had already booked for this year. I await grimly what more they will want on renewal later this month!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacarr E412

90 days

Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    I'm not saying you are right or wrong (no idea!) but wouldn't that interpretation mean that as long as you had been in the UK for the past 90 days, you could enter the EU for the remaining 90 days of one 180 period, then the next day start the first of another 90 days in the next 180 day period?
    No, itís a rolling 180 days. So if you have spent total 90 days within any 180 day period you have used up your allowance. You will have to wait three months. Think of it as a 180 day ruler. Wherever you slide the ruler along the calaendar you canít see more than 90 days in Schengen beneath it.
    Likes Clunegapyears liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    I'm not saying you are right or wrong (no idea!) but wouldn't that interpretation mean that as long as you had been in the UK for the past 90 days, you could enter the EU for the remaining 90 days of one 180 period, then the next day start the first of another 90 days in the next 180 day period?
    Sorry but no. The 90 days in any period of 180 is measured from the date of your first entry. If you use up all of your allowance in the first 3 months you cannot re-enter until the rest of the six month period has elapsed.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    N+B Arto 69GL(2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Sorry but no. The 90 days in any period of 180 is measured from the date of your first entry. If you use up all of your allowance in the first 3 months you cannot re-enter until the rest of the six month period has elapsed.
    I cannot vouch for the information contained on this website

Schengen Visa - Comprehensive information about Europe Visa

But it contains the following information

"90/180 Schengen Visa Rule

Another point where most multiple-entry Schengen visa holders get confused, as well as the nationals of the countries that are permitted to enter Schengen visa-free. Most people think that the 180-day period starts on the day you visa becomes valid, which is not true.

Actually, the 180-day period keeps rolling. Therefore, anytime you wish to enter the Schengen, you just have to count backwards the last 180 days, and see if you have been present in the Schengen for more than 90 days throughout that period.

Visa Sticker

All of the information explained above is given in your Schengen visa sticker affixed in your passport. Many people get confused because they do not know how to read and interpret the labels attached into a visa. For this reason, we have written an entire article about ďReading a Schengen Visa Stickerď, which will help you understand easy everything what is written there".

I believe these periods will apply to UK Passport holders as I beleve that UK will be added to the list of visa-free countries.

If the information is correct then the 'rolling' 180 day rule applies to UK Citizens.

Geoff
    Thanks REC thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
    I cannot vouch for the information contained on this website

Schengen Visa - Comprehensive information about Europe Visa

But it contains the following information

"90/180 Schengen Visa Rule

Another point where most multiple-entry Schengen visa holders get confused, as well as the nationals of the countries that are permitted to enter Schengen visa-free. Most people think that the 180-day period starts on the day you visa becomes valid, which is not true.

Actually, the 180-day period keeps rolling. Therefore, anytime you wish to enter the Schengen, you just have to count backwards the last 180 days, and see if you have been present in the Schengen for more than 90 days throughout that period.

Visa Sticker

All of the information explained above is given in your Schengen visa sticker affixed in your passport. Many people get confused because they do not know how to read and interpret the labels attached into a visa. For this reason, we have written an entire article about “Reading a Schengen Visa Sticker“, which will help you understand easy everything what is written there".

I believe these periods will apply to UK Passport holders as I beleve that UK will be added to the list of visa-free countries.

If the information is correct then the 'rolling' 180 day rule applies to UK Citizens.

Geoff
    That is actually in line with what I said. The link you have posted to the official Schengen site says that many people think the clock starts rolling from the date of issue of the visa. I did not say that. I said that the count starts from the first date of entry. What I said is the same as their statement that if you count back 180 days from today and you have spent 90 days in the EU you are not allowed back. Whichever way you look at it, if you spend 90 days in the Zone you have to leave for another 90 days before you can return.

Maybe it will be clearer if I give a specific example. Let us say you enter the Schengen Zone on 1st January and leave 90 days later on 31st March. You then, on 28th June want to return. Count back 180 days from 28th June and you get to 31st December. During that period, you have spent 90 days in the Zone. But if you do the calculation again on 1st July, you have only spent 89 days and can thus return.
    Last edited by John H; 10-02-2019 at 16:30.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Herald Templar
    Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    That is actually in line with what I said. The link you have posted to the official Schengen site says that many people think the clock starts rolling from the date of issue of the visa. I did not say that. I said that the count starts from the first date of entry. What I said is the same as their statement that if you count back 180 days from today and you have spent 90 days in the EU you are not allowed back. Whichever way you look at it, if you spend 90 days in the Zone you have to leave for another 90 days before you can return.

Maybe it will be clearer if I give a specific example. Let us say you enter the Schengen Zone on 1st January and leave 90 days later on 31st March. You then, on 28th June want to return. Count back 180 days from 28th June and you get to 31st December. During that period, you have spent 90 days in the Zone. But if you do the calculation again on 1st July, you have only spent 89 days and can thus return.
    I think you said in an earlier post that it would be possible to do a week in the EU and a week in the UK for ever, having just done 90 days in 180 and then go on to repeat the process. Under your current hypothesis this wouldn't be possible as you would have used 90 in the last 180 and would be barred for the next 90 days.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Quote Originally Posted by antiquesam View Post
    I think you said in an earlier post that it would be possible to do a week in the EU and a week in the UK for ever, having just done 90 days in 180 and then go on to repeat the process. Under your current hypothesis this wouldn't be possible as you would have used 90 in the last 180 and would be barred for the next 90 days.
    Firstly, it is not a hypothesis; it is the reality according to the official Schengen website that nicholsong provided a link to. Second, if you do the calculation, then what I said is perfectly valid. If you spend one week in the EU followed by one week in the UK then, if you first entered the EU on 1st January, by the end of March you have spent 45 days in the EU so you can keep going. By the end of June you have spent 90 of the previous 180 days in the EU. One week later, when you wish to return, 7 days have dropped off the calculation, so you can return. And so on and so on.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information