CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS


Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 175

Thread: Spending more than 90 days in Europe after March

  1. #151

    Member Number
    44641
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,542
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB


    CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    I said that the count starts from the first date of entry. What I said is the same as their statement that if you count back 180 days from today and you have spent 90 days in the EU you are not allowed back. Whichever way you look at it, if you spend 90 days in the Zone you have to leave for another 90 days before you can return.

    Hopefully I'm not muddying the water too much, that's not quite how it works, it's the last date in 180 days that counts, not the first. If you enter on 1/1/19 to 21/3/19 (80 days) and then re-enter on 20/6/19, after 10 days you will clock up 90 days in 180, but you don't have to leave as on 20/6/19 you will have been given another 90 days. I realise this is probably unlikely, but it may affect some. Take ourselves, we don't normally 'do' July and August, so we would expect to be at home late June, we could then return in September and even if the 90 days falls inside that trip we would not have to leave.
    I can see us having to consult the Calculator a few times.

  2. #152

    Member Number
    74361
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    232
    Motorhome
    N+B Arto 69GL(2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    That is actually in line with what I said. The link you have posted to the official Schengen site says that many people think the clock starts rolling from the date of issue of the visa. I did not say that. I said that the count starts from the first date of entry. What I said is the same as their statement that if you count back 180 days from today and you have spent 90 days in the EU you are not allowed back. Whichever way you look at it, if you spend 90 days in the Zone you have to leave for another 90 days before you can return.

    Maybe it will be clearer if I give a specific example. Let us say you enter the Schengen Zone on 1st January and leave 90 days later on 31st March. You then, on 28th June want to return. Count back 180 days from 28th June and you get to 31st December. During that period, you have spent 90 days in the Zone. But if you do the calculation again on 1st July, you have only spent 89 days and can thus return.
    Let me give you an example of how I see a rolling 180 days working. We used to have to do this with our flying hours rolling limits.



    One enters on Day 1 One, leaves on Day 40, so 40 days spent of the 90 days.

    One then re-enters on day 200 at which point one looks back 180 days and finds only the last 20 days of the first 40 are in the 180 backtrack. At that point one has a used only 20 days in the first entry of 40 days so one can stay 70 more days, i.e. to Day 270

    At day 220 the first entry of the whole 40 days have expired from the rolling 180 days, so one can stay the balance of 90 days less the 20 days from the second entry at Day 200, so a further 70 days to Day 290.

    So one has been absent fom Day 40 to Day 200 = 160 days and one can be present from Day 1 to Day 290 = 290 days with 160 days absent, a net 130 days in 290 days in Schengen.

    Geoff
    Last edited by nicholsong; 10-02-2019 at 17:13.

  3. #153

    Member Number
    25357
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,492
    Motorhome
    Chausson flash 510
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
    Let me give you an example of how I see a rolling 180 days working. We used to have to do this with our flying hours rolling limits.



    One enters on Day 1 One, leaves on Day 40, so 40 days spent of the 90 days.

    One then re-enters on day 200 at which point one looks back 180 days and finds only the last 20 days of the first 40 are in the 180 backtrack. At that point one has a used only 20 days in the first entry of 40 days so one can stay 70 more days, i.e. to Day 270

    At day 220 the first entry of the whole 40 days have expired from the rolling 180 days, so one can stay the balance of 90 days less the 20 days from the second entry at Day 200, so a further 70 days to Day 290.

    So one has been absent fom Day 40 to Day 200 = 160 days and one can be present from Day 1 to Day 290 = 290 days with 160 days absent, a net 130 days in 290 days in Schengen.

    Geoff
    I'm going to the pub
    Likes nicholsong, barryd, londontavern liked this post

  4. #154

    Member Number
    44641
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,542
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB
    Quote Originally Posted by alcam View Post
    I'm going to the pub
    Get one in for me, I'm right behind you.
    Likes nicholsong, londontavern liked this post

  5. #155

    Member Number
    74361
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    232
    Motorhome
    N+B Arto 69GL(2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by alcam View Post
    I'm going to the pub
    If you look at the scribbles on the darts' score board you will see how I worked it all out

    Geoff

  6. #156

    Member Number
    3609
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,234
    Location
    North Yorkshire Dales
    Motorhome
    Swift Kontiki 640
    Did someone mention the Pub?

    The reality of it is as far as most of us are concerned is we do lengthy trips which are now restricted to 90 days. I dont think many of us go back and forth several times although I think a few do say two months or so then maybe another two months later in the year. Workable if you get your timing right but all long termers are going to be quite restricted now. It will be a nightmare for full timers I expect if they dont fancy staying in the UK Or watching the clock tick in a none EU country they dont really want to be in.
    Likes John H liked this post

  7. #157

    Member Number
    4913
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,717
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Quote Originally Posted by colinmd View Post
    Hopefully I'm not muddying the water too much, that's not quite how it works, it's the last date in 180 days that counts, not the first. If you enter on 1/1/19 to 21/3/19 (80 days) and then re-enter on 20/6/19, after 10 days you will clock up 90 days in 180, but you don't have to leave as on 20/6/19 you will have been given another 90 days. I realise this is probably unlikely, but it may affect some. Take ourselves, we don't normally 'do' July and August, so we would expect to be at home late June, we could then return in September and even if the 90 days falls inside that trip we would not have to leave.
    I can see us having to consult the Calculator a few times.
    That is actually in line with what I said. The only point I would make is that you have not "been given another 90 days" What has happened is that the rolling 180 days moves on, so for every 10 days that drop off the beginning of that rolling period, you can stay for another 10 at the end.

    However, most people will have probably lost the will to live at this point so it is far easier to simply remember the short-hand version: once you have spent 90 days in the Schengen Zone you have to leave for another 90 before you can return.

    If anybody thinks they may have found a way round that simple fact, then I suggest they google "how can I spend more than 90 days in the Schengen Zone?" They will be directed to dozens of American websites where people ask that question on a regular basis. The answer is always that there is no legal way to do it. The Americans have been subject to the rule ever since it was established and if they havent found a way round it then you can be sure that there is none!
    Likes barryd liked this post

  8. #158

    Member Number
    74361
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    232
    Motorhome
    N+B Arto 69GL(2003)
    Of course the 90/180 rule and my example above in post 152 also applies to Residents of Schengen countries visiting other parts of Schengen.

    However, with no border controls and therefore no effective method of enforcement, it is largely ignored.

    Geoff

  9. #159

    Member Number
    63429
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    6
    Motorhome
    VW t5
    Don't you just apply for a visa for a longer stay?

  10. #160

    Member Number
    21340
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,498
    Motorhome
    Sprinter
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
    Of course the 90/180 rule and my example above in post 152 also applies to Residents of Schengen countries visiting other parts of Schengen.

    However, with no border controls and therefore no effective method of enforcement, it is largely ignored.

    Geoff
    Wait till after the 16th before going in/out of Poland then. Borders temporarily up.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •