CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Spending more than 90 days in Europe after March

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B598PL

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    As a citizen of N. Ireland I hold both passports, as many GB citizens now also do. I will be interested to see what happens to those with Irish passports since both the UK and Rep of Ireland have never been part of the Schengen area and whilst it has not been enforced in the past, who knows what will happen in future.

Davy

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

Surely

Quote Originally Posted by TeamRienza View Post
    As a citizen of N. Ireland I hold both passports, as many GB citizens now also do. I will be interested to see what happens to those with Irish passports since both the UK and Rep of Ireland have never been part of the Schengen area and whilst it has not been enforced in the past, who knows what will happen in future.

Davy
    Having an ROI passport and thus in EU (as now) means no problem Schengen irrelevant

Member Number
    Motorhome
    N+B Arto 69GL(2003)

Davy
    Travel between the UK and ROI is under a separate bilateral agreement between the two countries which long pre-dates Schengen.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Quote Originally Posted by londontavern View Post
    Don't you just apply for a visa for a longer stay?
    Possible but, as I explained in an earlier post, difficult, very time-consuming, very expensive, not guaranteed and a short-tern solution only.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698

Davy
    As citizens of the EU, the Irish have the right to freedom of movement within the EU - as we do for a few more weeks. Thus, although we are not in Schengen, when we travel to the EU our passports are not stamped and checks are only cursory or non-existent. After we leave the EU, our passports will be stamped and checks will be like they are to get into any other country. Nothing will change for those with an Irish passport. The reasons why the technical limit of 30 days is universally ignored within the EU is that it goes against the default position of freedom of movement. For its own citizens, the EU is moving towards fewer limits rather than more, so the Irish are extremely unlikely to ever find travel within the EU a problem.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
    Travel between the UK and ROI is under a separate bilateral agreement between the two countries which long pre-dates Schengen.
    That is a slightly different question to the one posed - and just because an agreement pre-dates another does not mean that it takes precedence for all time. if we (the UK) leave the Single Market, then the border with Northern Ireland becomes the border with the EU and the EU has very definite rules about the nature of its external border. Ireland could only go against these rules by leaving the EU itself - and it is certainly not going to do that. This is why the Irish border is proving to be a huge obstacle to Brexit.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW transporter
    Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    That is a slightly different question to the one posed - and just because an agreement pre-dates another does not mean that it takes precedence for all time. if we (the UK) leave the Single Market, then the border with Northern Ireland becomes the border with the EU and the EU has very definite rules about the nature of its external border. Ireland could only go against these rules by leaving the EU itself - and it is certainly not going to do that. This is why the Irish border is proving to be a huge obstacle to Brexit.
    That is all true....however wouldn't the Common Travel Area apply between the roi and mainland Britain?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    N+B Arto 69GL(2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by Debroos View Post
    That is all true....however wouldn't the Common Travel Area apply between the roi and mainland Britain?
    I have seen statements by the UK Government that confirm that the Common Travel Area rules will continue beyond Brexit.

So a person could fly Dublin-Manchester-Belfast and not be subject to checks, why not a train/car Dublin-Belfast direct?

Geoff

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Quote Originally Posted by Debroos View Post
    That all depends on the nature of the relationship between the UK and the EU after Brexit. Whatever deals have been done before, we would now be dealing with a border that never existed before: a border between the EU and the UK. As with any border, the arrangements for travel across that border depend not on one side calling the shots but on agreement between both sides. The UK government has blithely said a lot of things will not alter when it has absolutely no right to say that. It may be that things remain broadly the same or they may alter but it is not up to one side (the UK government) to decide.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Sprinter
    Has been agreed by all 3 parties that the CTA may continue.
    Although nothing is agreed until everything is agreed.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread Information