CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Spending more than 90 days in Europe after March

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    If i get a irish passport then i can go where and when i want
    Because i will be in out shake it all about.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    HYMER ML I
    HOW WOULD THEY KNOW? If you ship in or out there are few records kept as to how long you were ,in or out.
    Anyway it is not going to happen, there is an orchestrated campaign of idiocy and uselessness that is guaranteed the there will another vote and it will be skued as to how the answers are put so as it will be a STAY IN result. IT has been deemed to be so, by those that really have the power in the world. Mark my words, it will come to pass.
    Likes Tezza liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Ford Transit Tourneo

Staying In Europe for the winter

Quote Originally Posted by REC View Post
    We are lucky in that we can apply for temporary residence as we have a home in portugal. But found this.... apparently you can declare you have enough income to live on and get a temporary visa for Portugal. Haven't read it in depth and it sounds a little more complicated but might be worth applying ?

Brexit and why you need Portuguese residency
    Thanks Ruth & Dave

We too got Portuguese Residency (when it looked as if the UK might not be covered). It's always been the law in EU countries that you have to register after 90 days - but it's only a few of them who've been keen (in the past). We managed to get residency using a campsite as our address and we're hoping that we'll be OK for the next 3 years.

The Portuguese and Spanish Tourism industry are worried - hence the recent news that Brits. will have their own queue at Faro Airport.

Portugal plans special lanes for Britons in airports after Brexit | World news | The Guardian

Cheers Spike
    Likes FringeDweller liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Ford Transit Tourneo
    Quote Originally Posted by GWAYGWAY View Post
    HOW WOULD THEY KNOW? If you ship in or out there are few records kept as to how long you were ,in or out.
    Anyway it is not going to happen, there is an orchestrated campaign of idiocy and uselessness that is guaranteed the there will another vote and it will be skued as to how the answers are put so as it will be a STAY IN result. IT has been deemed to be so, by those that really have the power in the world. Mark my words, it will come to pass.
    Thanks GWAYWAY - Apart from Brit. number plates sticking out like a sore thumb in Europe there's optical number-plate recognition. The existing fine is between 400 and 1500.

I don't want to get involved in whether it will happen - I'm interested to find out what members are doing to plan for a 90 + day tour after March.

Cheers

Mike

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunr68 View Post
    Autumn in Spain/Portugal then 90 days out of the EU (Morrocco), then you're free to re-enter the EU for a further 90 days over the spring and UK/Ireland over the summer.
    That sounds good on the face of it but, like barryd, I have done lots of research into this and it is so difficult as to be impossible. The key is insurance. EHIC will disappear for us because participating countries have to agree to freedom of movement. Any replacement will apply only for the 90 days you will legally be entitled to stay. If you take out private insurance, there are time limits on any single trip. The longest time limit I have found for people of an advanced age (ie over 60) is 90 days and each trip has to start and finish in the UK. I have contacted the company that offered me that and asked them if they would be willing to extend the limit to 6 months. They said yes but for ten times the premium. We can spend the winter in Australia for that and they have free reciprocal health care with the UK! I suspect that once the compulsion for motor insurance to be provided for the EU is removed then motor insurance will go the same way.

It is not impossible to extend the Schengen 90 day limit but it is difficult, time consuming and expensive. For example, if you wish to extend it in Spain you have to apply in person to the consulate in your home country not more than 3 months nor less than one month prior to your expected stay and take with you documents that prove you have no criminal record, that you have sufficient funds to cover your stay and that you have sufficient medical care (see above!). Those documents have to be translated in to Spanish. There is a non-refundable fee of, I believe, around 70 euros (which is chicken feed compared to the cost of all that translation!). If you go through all this, succeed and apply again the next year, they are very likely to turn round and say that if you want to spend that much time in the country you should take out residence, with all that entails - paying taxes in Spain rather than the UK etc etc.

Not impossible but...………………………………..
    Likes Dowel liked this post
    Thanks jacquigem, runnach, Clunegapyears, FringeDweller thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Kontiki 640
    Quote Originally Posted by GWAYGWAY View Post
    Your entry to Schengen will be logged on entry and exit. I dare say if you winged it down in Spain you might get away with it but chances are they would catch up with you at the border and as has been discussed before fines are heavy for over staying and you risk being deported and refused entry in the future. Plus as John says will insurance be valid for more than your legally allowed to stay? Personally I wont be risking it. I would like to get just one last mega adventure under my belt though before the hammer comes down but if there is no transition period then that will be that. My vans ancient now anyway and maybe isnt up to the Alpine abuse it once was, perhaps it will finally die a death and blow up on the top of the Col de la Bonette. Ill just leave it there as a monument to the end of a golden era.
    Last edited by barryd; 01-02-2019 at 22:24.
    Likes jacquigem, jagmanx, Moonraker 2 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar Globescout PVC
    If the worst happens, then the world will demonstrate how much confidence it has in the UK.The pound will fall so far that 90 days in Euroland will be unaffordable.
    Likes jacquigem, Fern Kinnell, Sker liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autocruise Vista
    Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    That sounds good on the face of it but, like barryd, I have done lots of research into this and it is so difficult as to be impossible. The key is insurance. EHIC will disappear for us because participating countries
    EHIC is irrelevant. Health insurance is irrelevant. I have travelled across the continent by motorhome as far as Moscow and Istanbul and the validity or otherwise of the EHIC has not prevented me from doing so. The only additional complication that Brexit may introduce would be a 90 day limit to time in the EU, we would still be free to explore the rest of the world unhindered.

Please don't complicate matters. There's a big world to explore out there.

A few vlogs I'm following:

A young Dutch fella driving an old Russian van through the 'stans

YouTube

and a South Korean couple who shipped their self-build to Vladivostok and are driving it across Russia and Mongolia to Europe

YouTube
    https://woollyramblers.wordpress.com/
    https://woollywanderers.wordpress.com/
    Likes Clunegapyears, FringeDweller liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    Thankfully my dad was from Ireland, God bless you dad and, Mrs R from France, where we will retire to.
    Last edited by runnach; 01-02-2019 at 23:11.
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Fiat Ducato Enlagh Marlin 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by runnach View Post
    Thankfully my dad was from Ireland, God bless you dad and, Mrs R from France, where we will retire to.
    My wife and I are both of Irish Descent and eligible so are now
    applying for Irish Citizenship and Passports.
    Just wandering around and loving it.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information