CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Spending more than 90 days in Europe after March

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Well, in the midst of all the confusion, seemingly contradictory votes and mayhem, the smoke is clearing and the future is actually beginning to look clearer than at any stage for a long time. We are now in for May's deal and an extension of Article 50 till June or (and this is my preferred option) May being defeated for a third time and an extension until 2021. Either way, I don't have to worry about driving home in April and I get at least two more winters in the sun of southern Spain. And the pound is stronger than it has been for a long time
    Last edited by John H; 15-03-2019 at 07:19.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hobby Van Exclusive
    Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Well, in the midst of all the confusion, seemingly contradictory votes and mayhem, the smoke is clearing and the future is actually beginning to look clearer than at any stage for a long time. We are now in for May's deal and an extension of Article 50 till June or (and this is my preferred option) May being defeated for a third time and an extension until 2021. Either way, I don't have to worry about driving home in April and I get at least two more winters in the sun of southern Spain. And the pound is stronger than it has been for a long time
    Just need all 27 to agree.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson flash 510
    Bizarrely , considering recent events , I don't think you'll get your preferred option John .
    We are at the mercy of the D.U.fekkinP

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Quote Originally Posted by alcam View Post
    Bizarrely , considering recent events , I don't think you'll get your preferred option John .
    We are at the mercy of the D.U.fekkinP
    Even if the DUP back her will it be enough? After recent defections it only takes 3 Tories to vote against for her to lose her majority.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Quote Originally Posted by TJBi View Post
    Just need all 27 to agree.
    Somehow I don't think that will be a problem. The EU realizes what so many in the UK don't - that "no deal" is a stupid path to follow for both sides.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW transporter
    Even if the DUP back her will it be enough? After recent defections it only takes 3 Tories to vote against for her to lose her majority.
    I believe 3 Labour voted in favour...what happens if it is a dead heat?
    Likes alcam liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson flash 510
    Quote Originally Posted by Debroos View Post
    Just when you think it couldn't be any more screwed up than it already is !
    Likes Debroos liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Quote Originally Posted by Debroos View Post
    True - it could be very close. My understanding is that in a dead heat the Speaker has the casting vote. By tradition the Speaker always goes with the status quo - ie the deal fails - but with this Speaker who can tell?
    Thanks Debroos thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Ford Transit Tourneo

Update to my original post of the 1st February

I've just received an email from our Car Insurance company. I'm sure that many of you have received similar communications. Ours days this :-

"Whilst uncertainty remains on whether the UK leaves the European Union without a Withdrawal Agreement (a 'no-deal Brexit') on 29th March, if they do, UK motor insurance customers driving in the European Economic Area, Andorra, Serbia, and Switzerland will need physical proof of motor insurance when they travel. This is called a Green Card.
    We have now developed a smooth and seamless process for you to obtain a Green Card if you are planning on driving in the European Union on or after 29th March 2019.
    We will not charge you for this Green Card and it can be obtained by following the steps below:

Login to your My account
    Select ‘Request Green Card’ from the My account homepage
    Follow the on-screen instructions

Please be aware that there is no digital version available, a physical Green Card is the only valid format.
    Your request will be processed within 24 hours of receipt and sent to you in the post the next working day, first class. We recommend requesting your Green Card up to 4 weeks before you travel."

ASSUMING NO DEAL - if you're already abroad and will be driving in Europe for the 3 weeks after the 29th you won't have a Green Card ( and that's also assuming that someone can nip round to your house in the UK and pop it in the post to you - wherever you may be).

I've spent some time trying to answer my original question (thanks everyone who tried to help) and eventually got the following reply from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office :-

"Thank you for your reply of 18/02/2019.

As already mentioned, if you are a registered resident in Portugal, (WE ARE ) the limits of length of stay in Portugal do not apply to you. This means that you can stay in Portugal for as long as you want and leave and enter the territory as many times as you wish.

However, if the UK leaves the EU without a deal, you will not be able to move freely through Schengen space as you do now. The EU Commission has guaranteed that UK nationals will not need a visa if they do not stay longer than 90 days in any 180 day-period. This means that if you leave Portugal, you cannot stay in the Schengen area for more than 90 days without a visa. The 90 days are counted from the moment you cross the border of Portugal and you either re-enter Portugal or leave Schengen.

For example, if you leave Portugal on 31 March, and take 30 days to reach the UK, you still have 60 more days in that period of 180 days to spend in Schengen. If you have exhausted your 90 days travelling to the UK, you cannot re-enter Schengen unless you do so directly through the Portuguese border (in an airport or port) and stay inside Portuguese territory until the next 180 day-period begins.

We suggest you have your residence permit with you when travelling, so you can enter Portugal if you have already exceeded your limit 90 days in Schengen.

We hope this provides the clarity you are seeking.

I see no point in speculating about what will happen after a week on Friday but I don't want to be in the position of driving in Europe without a valid licence and insurance. So we're on the Ferry home a week today. We're also booked into our campsite on the Algarve in October - when we might have a clearer view of overwintering in Europe.

Cheers Spike

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    The EU have announced that UK travelers will be granted a visa for up to 90 days - even in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

EU announces visa-free travel for UK citizens — even with no deal | Euronews

Has there been any discussion on this site about Brits who want to over-winter in Europe - i.e. for more that 90 days?

We've been staying, for 5 months at a time, on the Algarve for the last 6 years and hope to do so again next winter.

To get to Portugal we'll have to have visas for France and Spain (unless we go to Santander/Bilbao) and I'm assuming that we'll be able to/have to apply for Schengen Visas.

It would appear to be quite a task! Portugal Schengen Visa: Requirements, Application & Guidelines

I would be grateful if anyone has any hard information about long-stays post Brexit please.

There are plenty of comments, on the various Forums, from people who are expressing their opinion on what will happen, usually beginning with
    "I can't see that such and such will/won't apply" - but I was hoping that someone may have come across something official.

It could be that there isn't anything official out there yet - but some of you must be making plans for the summer?

Thanks Cheers Spike

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson flash 510
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    I've just received an email from our Car Insurance company. I'm sure that many of you have received similar communications. Ours days this :-

"Whilst uncertainty remains on whether the UK leaves the European Union without a Withdrawal Agreement (a 'no-deal Brexit') on 29th March, if they do, UK motor insurance customers driving in the European Economic Area, Andorra, Serbia, and Switzerland will need physical proof of motor insurance when they travel. This is called a Green Card.
    We have now developed a smooth and seamless process for you to obtain a Green Card if you are planning on driving in the European Union on or after 29th March 2019.
    We will not charge you for this Green Card and it can be obtained by following the steps below:

Login to your My account
    Select ‘Request Green Card’ from the My account homepage
    Follow the on-screen instructions

Please be aware that there is no digital version available, a physical Green Card is the only valid format.
    Your request will be processed within 24 hours of receipt and sent to you in the post the next working day, first class. We recommend requesting your Green Card up to 4 weeks before you travel."

ASSUMING NO DEAL - if you're already abroad and will be driving in Europe for the 3 weeks after the 29th you won't have a Green Card ( and that's also assuming that someone can nip round to your house in the UK and pop it in the post to you - wherever you may be).

I've spent some time trying to answer my original question (thanks everyone who tried to help) and eventually got the following reply from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office :-

"Thank you for your reply of 18/02/2019.

As already mentioned, if you are a registered resident in Portugal, (WE ARE ) the limits of length of stay in Portugal do not apply to you. This means that you can stay in Portugal for as long as you want and leave and enter the territory as many times as you wish.

However, if the UK leaves the EU without a deal, you will not be able to move freely through Schengen space as you do now. The EU Commission has guaranteed that UK nationals will not need a visa if they do not stay longer than 90 days in any 180 day-period. This means that if you leave Portugal, you cannot stay in the Schengen area for more than 90 days without a visa. The 90 days are counted from the moment you cross the border of Portugal and you either re-enter Portugal or leave Schengen.

For example, if you leave Portugal on 31 March, and take 30 days to reach the UK, you still have 60 more days in that period of 180 days to spend in Schengen. If you have exhausted your 90 days travelling to the UK, you cannot re-enter Schengen unless you do so directly through the Portuguese border (in an airport or port) and stay inside Portuguese territory until the next 180 day-period begins.

We suggest you have your residence permit with you when travelling, so you can enter Portugal if you have already exceeded your limit 90 days in Schengen.

We hope this provides the clarity you are seeking.

I see no point in speculating about what will happen after a week on Friday but I don't want to be in the position of driving in Europe without a valid licence and insurance. So we're on the Ferry home a week today. We're also booked into our campsite on the Algarve in October - when we might have a clearer view of overwintering in Europe.

Cheers Spike
    Thanks for all of that . As helpful as is possible at the moment .
    Curious about your residency status in Portugal . What qualifies you for that ?
    I'm also interested in this for Spain . Was going to buy a house in Spain and get a NIE . Not difficult to get but not sure what rights it gives you ?

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread Information