Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
Results 201 to 202 of 202

Thread: Spending more than 90 days in Europe after March

  1. #201

    Member Number
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Chausson flash 510

    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    I've just received an email from our Car Insurance company. I'm sure that many of you have received similar communications. Ours days this :-

    "Whilst uncertainty remains on whether the UK leaves the European Union without a Withdrawal Agreement (a 'no-deal Brexit') on 29th March, if they do, UK motor insurance customers driving in the European Economic Area, Andorra, Serbia, and Switzerland will need physical proof of motor insurance when they travel. This is called a Green Card.
    We have now developed a smooth and seamless process for you to obtain a Green Card if you are planning on driving in the European Union on or after 29th March 2019.
    We will not charge you for this Green Card and it can be obtained by following the steps below:

    Login to your My account
    Select ‘Request Green Card’ from the My account homepage
    Follow the on-screen instructions

    Please be aware that there is no digital version available, a physical Green Card is the only valid format.
    Your request will be processed within 24 hours of receipt and sent to you in the post the next working day, first class. We recommend requesting your Green Card up to 4 weeks before you travel."

    ASSUMING NO DEAL - if you're already abroad and will be driving in Europe for the 3 weeks after the 29th you won't have a Green Card ( and that's also assuming that someone can nip round to your house in the UK and pop it in the post to you - wherever you may be).

    I've spent some time trying to answer my original question (thanks everyone who tried to help) and eventually got the following reply from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office :-

    "Thank you for your reply of 18/02/2019.

    As already mentioned, if you are a registered resident in Portugal, (WE ARE ) the limits of length of stay in Portugal do not apply to you. This means that you can stay in Portugal for as long as you want and leave and enter the territory as many times as you wish.

    However, if the UK leaves the EU without a deal, you will not be able to move freely through Schengen space as you do now. The EU Commission has guaranteed that UK nationals will not need a visa if they do not stay longer than 90 days in any 180 day-period. This means that if you leave Portugal, you cannot stay in the Schengen area for more than 90 days without a visa. The 90 days are counted from the moment you cross the border of Portugal and you either re-enter Portugal or leave Schengen.

    For example, if you leave Portugal on 31 March, and take 30 days to reach the UK, you still have 60 more days in that period of 180 days to spend in Schengen. If you have exhausted your 90 days travelling to the UK, you cannot re-enter Schengen unless you do so directly through the Portuguese border (in an airport or port) and stay inside Portuguese territory until the next 180 day-period begins.

    We suggest you have your residence permit with you when travelling, so you can enter Portugal if you have already exceeded your limit 90 days in Schengen.

    We hope this provides the clarity you are seeking.

    I see no point in speculating about what will happen after a week on Friday but I don't want to be in the position of driving in Europe without a valid licence and insurance. So we're on the Ferry home a week today. We're also booked into our campsite on the Algarve in October - when we might have a clearer view of overwintering in Europe.

    Cheers Spike
    Thanks for all of that . As helpful as is possible at the moment .
    Curious about your residency status in Portugal . What qualifies you for that ?
    I'm also interested in this for Spain . Was going to buy a house in Spain and get a NIE . Not difficult to get but not sure what rights it gives you ?

  2. #202

    Member Number
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Ford Transit Tourneo
    It's always been the (EU) rule that anyone staying more than 90 days should register and get temporary residency ( which can be made permanent after 5 years). But not all countries bothered (I think Germany and Belgium did - and you get a telling off if found out).

    We realised that there could be problems and applied shortly after the referendum. In Portugal you do it at your local Camara ( Town Hall) and it costs about 20 Euros. In Portugal you also have to have a Fiscal Number ( like our NI number) and this costs about E10

    It was a simple process and took about 10 days. We're glad we did and I suspect that thousands more motorhomers in Iberia will do so in the future.


    Thanks alcam thanked for this post

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts