CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drugs post brexit,,dialysis diabetics et al ..and fake news ?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100

Drugs post brexit,,dialysis diabetics et al ..and fake news ?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I came across this article, and aware of the woman interviewed, she gave an interview to the Guardian and they allege she is talking of going on strike (not the case at all) so fair reporting, below I have published her statement written by herself and very sensibly written IMHO

Fact remains that supplies could be hit to the most vulnerable people, the department of health are reticent in giving cast iron guarantees ,that is a guarantee which matches the current situation.

Her writings are not a political commentary but merely a grave concern to a lot of people

‘Beyond insane’: why one woman fears no-deal Brexit could kill her | Politics | The Guardian

This is perhaps a better article and a shame headline grabbing and sensationalism overshadowed on a serious subject that has potential implications for a lot of people

Can I just clarify a couple of things to people who’ve commented on this post!
    1. Journalists like to sensationalise their stories to get clicks and to generate views - headlines are designed to catch attention so by their nature will be dramatic. I gave this interview because Kidney Care UK have been tirelessly campaigning on all of our behalves and they managed to get the guardian to pick up the story about the potential impact of Brexit on kidney patients and I spoke to the journalist. Personally I think we should be grateful that they were bothered to cover this story from our perspective at all as we constantly say in our community how minimal the public coverage of CKD is compared to other conditions

2. My dialysis strike comment was made in the context that IF we have short to medium term disruption to these critical supplies due to us leaving with no deal or due to it taking time to renegotiate new supply trade arrangements with various countries or navigate import/ border delays then the situation we could find ourselves in would effectively risk us having to reduce dialysis (or medication) treatment frequency in order to ration supplies for longer (this is not scaremongering, please read the Lancet report on Brexit published yesterday or talk to hospital/Renal pharmacists to learn for yourself). I did remark that I therefore might as well go on strike to make an impact and also to preserve some of my existing home dialysis supplies as long as possible at the end of March... I’m not pursuing a death wish though, clearly I wouldn’t make myself ill or push it to the extent of needing hospital treatment, but it makes a point. Also I care enough about this to take direct action on behalf of those who can’t.

3. For those like myself who have been on dialysis for more than 7 years you may recall when the Italian earthquake damaged Baxter’s factory in 2012 we ran into short supply of specific types of bloodlines with a threat of treatment rationing almost immediately, because our supply chains are not diversified and we do not hold much spare stock at all in this country as storage is costly and the up front cost to buy it all in bulk is too much. The government has actually published papers in the past (way before Brexit) where they highlighted the risk of our medical supply chains in the uk being too heavily dependent on EU imports and therefore very vulnerable to disruption if there are ever delays or shortages. Which is certainly an argument for manufacturing more supplies in the UK but that can’t happen overnight and also the NHS can’t afford a lot of prices, hence why we buy a lot in more cheaply from abroad. No doubt in the longer term we will make new deals with other countries whether within or outside the EU (which in some cases might require non EU countries to set up manufacturing facilities for specific bespoke items) but it’s taken 2 years to formally negotiate and agree very little in terms of trade deals so far, so how long will it take to get every single new deal that’s needed? Time is what I am highlighting here... we can’t risk those short term delays when it comes to dialysis equipment, transplant medication, insulin, radiotherapy isotopes, epilepsy medication etc etc and a whole lot more

3. I am not making a leave or remain point here nor am I debating whether the uk should or should not be so interlinked with Europe (I wouldn’t start that debate in a newspaper interview or on Facebook I’m not that stupid nor that desperate to be trolled!) the point I am making is we currently have NO guarantees of security and timeliness of supplies in the short term during a no deal/badly negotiated deal period until new arrangements can be made, and the government even today published their Brexit impact report but were unwilling to make the full details available to MPs who requested them, they only published the summary. So why the secrecy? We’ve asked the question about a guarantee of no border delays for medical supplies.... if they had a clear cut answer for that surely they’d just tell us? Instead we have Matt Hancock instructing all medical suppliers and pharmacists to stockpile at least 6 weeks worth of stock ( routinely they would aim to have 21 days worth of most things stockpiled) but a lot of them cannot actually get hold of 6 weeks worth anyway nor do they have space to keep it and in some cases expiry dates or refrigeration requirements etc are a challenge. I don’t think any dialysis patient on here fancies a delay in getting their EPO for example. We have politicians giving vague statements full of ifs, buts and maybes. You can read about the DoHSC advice online and related House of Commons discussions are recorded in the parliamentary Hansard transcripts also available online.
    Don’t just trust or believe what the media chooses to publish, go and read the sources and ask your local MP for detailed reports and plans.

4. The news broke recently that the government contracted Seaborne Freight, a ferry company with no ferries nor any transit experience, to start running a back up import route in and out of Ramsgate in the event of a no deal Brexit. They insisted despite so much controversy when it was announced, that it was a viable contract and not a risk in any way. Then a few weeks ago they totally backtracked out of that contract, as it was deemed to be not fit for purpose, suddenly lacking in legitimate financial backing and there are also concerns over Ramsgate not being fit for purpose either. Does this fill you with confidence about all the so called promises they’re making about no disruption to medical supplies? For me personally it does not.

Whatever your political beliefs or side of the Brexit debate please don’t be complacent. Start asking questions and don’t let yourself get fobbed off!

Channa
    Last edited by channa; 27-02-2019 at 10:15.
    Likes korky, time4t, REC, britcoms, TJBi, RoadTrek Boy liked this post
    Thanks John H, alcam, iampatman thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Soon!!!
    Very sensible analysis of a problem which is not being addressed due to politicians spending more time worrying about their political careers rather than getting g together to work for the Nation's best interests. Just one of the many issues ignored and left to those affected to try and deal with!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    HYMER ML I
    All these things that keep coming up in the papers are false news, scare stories, so that you will vote stay in the next referendum, which is coming soon.
    1 All the things that are imported will continue to be imported as the were in the past, any shortages caused by tariffs would be caused by UK customs Tariffs are for IMPORTED goods applied by the importing country, If we face them for exports then they would face them for their exports, and that is not going to happen.
    2 Queues for lorries blocking Dover. The blockages that do happen are caused by Bad weather and strike in Calais not the UK exporters not doing paperwork as there are few of them to cause a holdup. . Only about 20% of outgoing trucks are loaded, most are empty having delivered the imports and then done a couple of internal cabotage jobs before going out empty tro collect the next load to come in, MOST of the truck in Dover at any time are POLISH/BULGARIAN/ HUNGARIAN/ SLOVAKIAN etc etc , not even a lot of german or Dutch/ French like there was.
    The EU will not countenance having THEIR Trucks held up as it would cost them money.
    3 All the Problems that the papers come up with are not going to happen they are all figment of an Editors imagination to get a few more sales.

Unfortunately too many people fall for this crap and will panic at the slightest whif of something.
    Likes witzend, runnach, chas17, RoadTrek Boy liked this post
    Thanks RoadTrek Boy, roamingman thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    Speaking with my cousin who is a retired doctor, and was one off, the directors for Health Scotland, many of these stories are just that, stories, or as the Donald would say "fake news". His other point was, if folks looked after themselves, meds would go further towards those with illness that are hereditary ailments, or caused through poor H&S within industry.

Lets blame all the UK's ill's on Brexit.
    Last edited by runnach; 27-02-2019 at 20:41.
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.
    Likes witzend, delicagirl, RoadTrek Boy liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacarr E412

Delays?

Last time I crossed the channel there were big tailbacks at Coquelles Eurotunnel and we missed our scheduled crossing despite turning up early. Were these caused by the French, no, the increased French contingent were standing around nattering and smoking, and ignoring everyone. The problem was caused by the UK border force being unable to deal with the workload, and that on a quiet Sunday morning in October. So how are they going to cope with a busy day after Brexit? The implementation of the Pet Passport system created utter chaos when introduced some years back, nobody seemed to know what they were supposed to be doing the first couple of years. Surprisingly I have little faith in pedlars of ‘it’ll be alright on the night’ when it comes to anything implemented by burocracy!
    Likes channa, delicagirl, John H, TJBi, RoadTrek Boy liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Quote Originally Posted by GWAYGWAY View Post
    All these things that keep coming up in the papers are false news, scare stories, so that you will vote stay in the next referendum, which is coming soon.
    1 All the things that are imported will continue to be imported as the were in the past, any shortages caused by tariffs would be caused by UK customs Tariffs are for IMPORTED goods applied by the importing country, If we face them for exports then they would face them for their exports, and that is not going to happen.
    2 Queues for lorries blocking Dover. The blockages that do happen are caused by Bad weather and strike in Calais not the UK exporters not doing paperwork as there are few of them to cause a holdup. . Only about 20% of outgoing trucks are loaded, most are empty having delivered the imports and then done a couple of internal cabotage jobs before going out empty tro collect the next load to come in, MOST of the truck in Dover at any time are POLISH/BULGARIAN/ HUNGARIAN/ SLOVAKIAN etc etc , not even a lot of german or Dutch/ French like there was.
    The EU will not countenance having THEIR Trucks held up as it would cost them money.
    3 All the Problems that the papers come up with are not going to happen they are all figment of an Editors imagination to get a few more sales.

Unfortunately too many people fall for this crap and will panic at the slightest whif of something.
    There is so much wrong with that it is difficult to know where to start! First, tariffs don't cause shortages, they increase prices. The shortages come about largely because any non-EU lorry wanting to enter the EU for trade has to apply for a permit. Those permits are limited. There are some 75,000 UK lorries that regularly travel to the EU. Messages coming out of the EU suggest that we would be entitled to just over 1,000 permits after Brexit. Even if the real figure were ten times that figure we would still be struggling. A haulage firm owner was interviewed on the radio a few days ago and he was tearing his hair out with the government (I got the impression that if May had been there she wouldn't have come out alive). He had applied for 70 permits in the event of a no deal Brexit and had been awarded none. If we leave without a deal, that haulage company has no business.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson flash 510
    Quote Originally Posted by runnach View Post
    Speaking with my cousin who is a retired doctor, and was one off, the directors for Health Scotland, many of these stories are just that, stories, or as the Donald would say "fake news". His other point was, if folks looked after themselves, meds would go further towards those with illness that are hereditary ailments, or caused through poor H&S within industry.

Lets blame all the UK's ill's on Brexit.
    So Channa is wrong then ?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hobby Van Exclusive
    Quote Originally Posted by GWAYGWAY View Post

The story of Brexit:

It'll be Alright on the Night

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    Quote Originally Posted by alcam View Post
    So Channa is wrong then ?
    Is my cousin???
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Quote Originally Posted by runnach View Post
    Is my cousin???
    I have not expressed an opinion so hard to be wrong, The article in the Guardian was distorted from what the interviewee actually said which is why I attached her statement

The fact remains that any assurances are vague, and certainly no assurances that all patients will enjoy undisrupted supply as they do at the moment

Channa
    Likes TJBi, REC liked this post

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information