CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS


Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: EU

  1. #11

    Member Number
    60568
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,601
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus


    CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Minisorella View Post
    Not just leavers voted it down remember... the whole of Parliament itself and the very way it works has put us in this position. MPs with polar opposite opinions on Brexit voted it down because for one group it didn't get us out enough and for the other group, it didn't keep us in enough! Of course, with the whip usually deployed, there's been too far much protective party politics and not enough common sense or cooperation applied to any aspect of what's happened since the referendum.

    For example, whether, as individuals, we agree with it in principle or not, why did anyone think it a good idea to take 'no deal' off the table... by far our strongest bargaining chip? Whether you are Brexit or Remain, everyone wanted the outcome of the negotiations to be as strongly in favour of Britain as possible. Parliament has effectively given the EU carte blanche to dictate the terms it wants now because we've told them very clearly that we'll never just walk away with a shrug and our hands in the air. Do MPs actually not understand politics at all? If only the negotiating team had been drawn from independent experts and all Parliamentary votes had been made non-partisan from the very start.
    ref your point "Parliament has effectively given the EU carte blanche to dictate the terms it wants now because we've told them very clearly that we'll never just walk away".... the UK 'negotiating' (I use that team advisedly) team essentially turned up like it was a poker game, but then turned over their cards on the first hand saying "are these any good? what should we do?"
    I think it would had been quite hard to find a less competent group of people than those chosen.

    It does make me wonder if they actually had a mandate of incompetency and a directive to make such a balls-up of the whole process it would force a general feeling of "better in than out" amongst the population and a cancellation of Article 50 (That is still quite possible)
    Find me on motorhomer.com, a Brexit-Free Zone
    Likes Minisorella liked this post

  2. #12

    Member Number
    19864
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,987
    Location
    Horsham, West Sussex
    Motorhome
    Compass Avantgarde 140 💫
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    ref your point "Parliament has effectively given the EU carte blanche to dictate the terms it wants now because we've told them very clearly that we'll never just walk away".... the UK 'negotiating' (I use that team advisedly) team essentially turned up like it was a poker game, but then turned over their cards on the first hand saying "are these any good? what should we do?"
    I think it would had been quite hard to find a less competent group of people than those chosen.

    It does make me wonder if they actually had a mandate of incompetency and a directive to make such a balls-up of the whole process it would force a general feeling of "better in than out" amongst the population and a cancellation of Article 50 (That is still quite possible)
    I'm not sure we ever even looked at our hand in all honesty... it was confirmed by a politician last night on Question Time that the first draft of the withdrawal agreement was written by the EU itself and given to Theresa May

  3. #13

    Member Number
    7973
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    10,203
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    Her deal is worse than no deal, that's why nobody wants it.

    A friend put a very interesting article on another forum. All this crap about the EU being good for the UK is rubbish. It has been bad for a number of member states. We would always have been better off without it (that's assuming our Politicians didn't completely **** the country up).

    A link to the article:

    https://www.civitas.org.uk/content/f...andparadox.pdf

  4. #14

    Member Number
    7572
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    12,427
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    Tell Tusk et-all, to ram it where the sun don't shine. And to also tell this money pit organisation, to whistle for the 40/50 billion so called divorce deal.
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.

  5. #15

    Member Number
    55264
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    149
    Motorhome
    High roof doblo
    Well no her deal is just a withdrawal agreement with all important cans kicked down the road. Mays withdrawal agreement could still lead to your no deal, but some better outcomes, but not to the best, staying in the EU with preferential terms.
    Likes TJBi liked this post

  6. #16

    Member Number
    25357
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,558
    Motorhome
    Chausson flash 510
    Quote Originally Posted by Minisorella View Post
    Not just leavers voted it down remember... the whole of Parliament itself and the very way it works has put us in this position. MPs with polar opposite opinions on Brexit voted it down because for one group it didn't get us out enough and for the other group, it didn't keep us in enough! Of course, with the whip usually deployed, there's been too far much protective party politics and not enough common sense or cooperation applied to any aspect of what's happened since the referendum.

    For example, whether, as individuals, we agree with it in principle or not, why did anyone think it a good idea to take 'no deal' off the table... by far our strongest bargaining chip? Whether you are Brexit or Remain, everyone wanted the outcome of the negotiations to be as strongly in favour of Britain as possible. Parliament has effectively given the EU carte blanche to dictate the terms it wants now because we've told them very clearly that we'll never just walk away with a shrug and our hands in the air. Do MPs actually not understand politics at all? If only the negotiating team had been drawn from independent experts and all Parliamentary votes had been made non-partisan from the very start.
    Not sure , at this point , that would make any difference as these negotiations are over .

  7. #17

    Member Number
    19864
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,987
    Location
    Horsham, West Sussex
    Motorhome
    Compass Avantgarde 140 💫
    Quote Originally Posted by alcam View Post
    Not sure , at this point , that would make any difference as these negotiations are over .
    Really? Certainly not prior to 'no deal' being vetoed they weren't, had we had the guts to stand our ground until the 28th... or had the negotiating team actually had any intention of letting us leave the EU. Mind you, they say our default position legally is still no deal, so the next couple of weeks will see lots more conflicting proposals, tabled amendments and parliamentary votes, including the no deal vote being ratified into law. Also, any subsequent deadline extension will prolong the Withdrawl Agreement negotiations. Unless Parliament votes for the current agreement before the 28th, this could run and run... we're not even at the end of the beginning.
    Likes antiquesam, RoadTrek Boy liked this post

  8. #18

    Member Number
    30917
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    186
    Motorhome
    Globecar Globescout PVC
    Quote Originally Posted by runnach View Post
    Tell Tusk et-all, to ram it where the sun don't shine. And to also tell this money pit organisation, to whistle for the 40/50 billion so called divorce deal.
    Not a good idea to renege on any deals we have.That would be very damaging down the line.
    If God help us we have to go striking new trade deals with the rest of the world if we Brexit, it makes us look dishonest and untrustworthy.
    Likes TJBi liked this post

  9. #19

    Member Number
    7572
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    12,427
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    Quote Originally Posted by korky View Post
    Not a good idea to renege on any deals we have.That would be very damaging down the line.
    If God help us we have to go striking new trade deals with the rest of the world if we Brexit, it makes us look dishonest and untrustworthy.
    That is the problem with this country, too, many invertebrates, makes me wonder how we ever managed to drag ourselves out our caves.

    Oh, one other reason for UK voting out, as the EU is dishonest and untrustworthy, so nothing new there, then.
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.
    Likes mark61, roamingman liked this post

  10. #20

    Member Number
    45224
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    548
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Mohawk
    Quote Originally Posted by runnach View Post
    That is the problem with this country, too, many invertebrates, makes me wonder how we ever managed to drag ourselves out our caves.

    Oh, one other reason for UK voting out, as the EU is dishonest and untrustworthy, so nothing new there, then.
    Yes and some of us banged our heads on the cave roof and destroyed the few brain cells we were born with !

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •