mariesnowgoose is offline Official OTW
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: She's picking on me again

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i

Save Druridge Bay

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Please tell Communities Secretary James Brokenshire not to approve an opencast coalmine in Druridge Bay, Northumberland.

Save Druridge Bay - Friends of the Earth

Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    There but for the grace of God go I

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Self-build
    Would be interesting to see the pros and cons of this one.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    Quote Originally Posted by hextal View Post
    Would be interesting to see the pros and cons of this one.
    I'm sure there's lots of info online about this if you want to look it up for yourself.

This fight rumbles on, in the same way that applications to build a nuclear power station at Druridge have re-surfaced every 10 years or so for probably the last 50 years.

If you let complacency take over then - coal mining or nuclear - one or the other will eventually happen.

Here's a small video from couple years ago, leave it up to you to decide whether this is a balanced media report or not
    (NB. Is it worth the destruction for the creation of 50 jobs.....?)

Likes Floridaphill liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Self-build
    Unfortunately, as mentioned in another recent thread, I've recently spent time staring down the barrels of several local action groups campaigns. Our team in general has had numerous, they comprise everything from facebook to local media, involvement of MPs, vandalism/sabotaging equipment. Unfortunately, when you look into any of this online the vast majority of the info is questionable at best. One of the big issues we face is that, when it comes to libel, you have to be able to prove losses, which is very tricky (particularly in the public sector), so the information put out by the groups can go a fair bit beyond 'misinformed' and well into 'BS' territory, because, outside the rich and famous, there's actually not much appetite to attempt to bring prosecutions.

The other issue is that, whilst these sorts of groups often come from a place of well meaning, they invariably have (often intentionally) over simplistic understandings of the numeous issues that have informed a decision, often preferring to go with the 'I don't want it, therefore the company must be stupid/bad' point of view. I've lost track of how many email/phone-calls I've received from people angry at how monumentally inept/evil/lazy I am for some decision or other that they disagreed with, then after 15mins on the phone, or several email exchanges, you invariably hit the point where they respond along the lines "oh, blimey, i'd not though of any of that". That's not to say that I always win them over, but they do always leave with a much more rounded view of the factors affecting such a decision.

None of this is to say that the above relates to Druridge Bay, more that when various action groups are involved, the 'facts' as found online can be pretty varied in terms of their relationship to reality, so trying to separate the fact from fiction can get very tricky.
    Likes mariesnowgoose, yorkslass liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    Fair comments, Hextal and I see where you're coming from.

However, Druridge Bay has been a long standing wildcamping meet venue, so have to declare a selfish interest here.

I also have to declare a very personal selfish interest, as it's a beautiful part of the Northumberland coastline I've known since I was a child.
    It was ALL open cast mining around there at one time with 'Big Geordie" sited inland not too far away. It was dirty and desolate back from the sea front. The beach was still beautiful, but not much else was.

Are our attempts to move towards sustainable and less environmentally damaging power sources so inept & inadequate that the only alternative is to resurrect fossil fuel mining?

We have enough environmental destruction going on all around us. Surely there has to be better alternatives than to turn the clock back 50 years or so and re-open scars in this well restored landscape?

PS As far as I'm aware I don't think any of the campaigns in the past to save Druridge have included violence or vandalism, but I could be wrong...
    Likes yorkslass, hextal liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    See my comments on the other thread.
    Likes mariesnowgoose liked this post

Thread Information