CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Quotas

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Herald Templar

Fishing Quotas

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    As I walked the dog at 7.00am today around Old Portsmouth two trawlers turn up, registered in Wexford, and within minutes a Spanish registered lorry turns up and they start loading their catch into it. I'm sure everything is legal and above board but I can't help feeling that it is a bit much to completely miss out the middle man, especially if they were fishing UK waters.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar Globescout PVC
    Quote Originally Posted by antiquesam View Post
    As I walked the dog at 7.00am today around Old Portsmouth two trawlers turn up, registered in Wexford, and within minutes a Spanish registered lorry turns up and they start loading their catch into it. I'm sure everything is legal and above board but I can't help feeling that it is a bit much to completely miss out the middle man, especially if they were fishing UK waters.
    Your post isn't really anything to do with fishing quotas.
    Despite our many chip shops we are not a fish eating nation and the majority of our fish goes for export.
    The government sold off many of our quotas sometime ago.
    Likes trevskoda, mariesnowgoose liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Herald Templar
    Quote Originally Posted by korky View Post
    Your post isn't really anything to do with fishing quotas.
    Despite our many chip shops we are not a fish eating nation and the majority of our fish goes for export.
    The government sold off many of our quotas sometime ago.
    Shouldn't there be some checks on what comes into our ports, and how much of what type of fish have been caught?
    Likes rockape liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB
    I'm sure everything is legal and above board but I can't help feeling that it is a bit much to completely miss out the middle man, especially if they were fishing UK waters.
    The 'middleman' in this case will be the port who get paid for services.
    Which reminds me, you need to be Brittish to be good at scamming your fellow countrymen, a few years back a Cornish fisherman decided to retire, most doing this sell there licence to the highest bidder, which is often a foreign boat, but this chap decided he would only sell to another local boat, he found another Cornishman and sold him the licnce at below market rate, the next week it was back on market and sold to a Spanish boat.
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson flash 510
    Shouldn't there be some checks on what comes into our ports, and how much of what type of fish have been caught?
    Pretty sure there is meant to be . I've seen fish getting unloaded from a boat at a waterside restaurant in Scotland .
    Fish processors in Shetland[?] got jailed for processing 'black' fish . They had a separate delivery chute for this fish .

mariesnowgoose is offline Official OTW
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: She's gone bald!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i

Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    There but for the grace of God go I
    Likes alcam, RoadTrek Boy, royh28 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Herald Templar
    Quote Originally Posted by alcam View Post
    Pretty sure there is meant to be . I've seen fish getting unloaded from a boat at a waterside restaurant in Scotland .
    Fish processors in Shetland[?] got jailed for processing 'black' fish . They had a separate delivery chute for this fish .
    Mmmm. I just thought that the two boats coming into port and tying up and immediately unloading into a foreign lorry away from the fish merchants at 7.00am on a Sunday morning seemed strange.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    What is a bigger concern is whether Brexit happens or not foreign fishing rights are mildly affected and a coup de grace for an already damaged UK industry

The irony is we have some of the most productive seas in Europe and export a lot of our catch, It needs the celeb chefs ot make a song and dance promote spider crab, crab , shellfish and fish in plentiful supply like mackerel ( most underated fish ever)

THe UK needs to tune in to eating whats on our doorstep, Steer away from dredged scallops and encourage mussel farms etc. A few years ago the Irish came up with a plan that has paid off creating the seas intoimaginary fields and leaving areas as fallow for a couple of years on a rotational basis the legacy a sustainable sea bass industry

As a footmote there are plans to develop seaweed farms in Filey bay cheffy food at the moment but highly nutritious and a good alternative to salt for seasoning (Dulce)

The UK has a fantastic larder on land and sea some fantastic regional food variations it is about time we celebrated it, supported our domestic farmers ad fisherman and educate the population

Sermon over ( just one of the things I am passionate about )

Channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Mmmm. I just thought that the two boats coming into port and tying up and immediately unloading into a foreign lorry away from the fish merchants at 7.00am on a Sunday morning seemed strange.
    Time sensitive product is the reason , In my past life I spent a lot of time in Grimsby the fish market early doors is worth seeing once in your life, THe professional buyers rarely limit themselves to species if set out for cod and it looks tired but the haddocjk looked good would buy that instead the mantra of good restaurants really

Other side of the River in Hull I dealt with Humber growers the engines on their trucks never went cold starship mileages, I was not a rare occurrence to ship fish/shellfish down to the channel ports for onward travel to Spain, Portugal and France and return loads salad veg and tomatoes fantastic logisitics.

What is interesting due to the cheffy types and original cheap prices fish like Monkfish and Coalfish not that long ago no one wanted fish fingers for coalfish via YOungs and Icelandic freezing plants in Grimsby they weren't worth a candle today though quite expensive.

When I returned from France I was approached to work at a well known hotel in Beverly no soon had I sat down told in no uncertain terms didn't want my French influence My reply was slightly arrogant on reflection " take Atlantic prawns or thai King prawns off the menu for Prawn cocktail and replace with Filey crab from down the road ( they didn't like that idea) Wakefield Rhubarb, Wensley dale cheese take cheddar off the menu to me made a lot of sense even more so a lot of artisan producers nowadays with meats , cheeses etc. SOme great produce out there just need to know what to do with it

THe French have a reputation for fine food and preparation some of the younger breeds of chefs and producers in this country highly talented I honestly believe pay your money take your choice today exciting times for British Industry and its housewifes

Channa
    Last edited by channa; 15-04-2019 at 15:00.
    Likes mariesnowgoose, Norad60 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Frankia I650ED
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    The UK has a fantastic larder on land and sea some fantastic regional food variations it is about time we celebrated it, supported our domestic farmers ad fisherman and educate the population

Sermon over ( just one of the things I am passionate about )

Channa
    Your post reminded me of the great quote by Nye Bevan "This island is made mainly of coal and surrounded by fish. Only an organising genius could produce a shortage of coal and fish at the same time"

Perhaps we should kick-start the British coal industry while we're at it.
    https://woollyramblers.wordpress.com/
    https://woollywanderers.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information