CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Glasgow University.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Debroos View Post
    Does Scotland have a reciprocal arrangement with the EU then, so Scottish students can study free in the EU?
    fees are dependent on the rules of the home country. So pretty sure answer is no by virtue of being Scottish
    Fed up with the Whingers and Moaners. PMs Turned Off. Sayonara

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Not incorrect. At present, Scotland classifies EU students as "home" students and thus offers free tuition. If we leave the EU, that status will be impossible to justify and fees will almost certainly be imposed. This will reduce the number of students coming in and thus all the other income that they bring with them. Fees will be gained but other income will be lost, with the net effect that there will be fewer students and less income.

In England, of course, tuition is not free, so the loss will be even greater.
    Total rubbish and further compounding the crap you spout constantly.

What is wrong is the fact that Scotland was allowed to disclude English, Welsh and NI students from the Free Tutition but anyone from Portugal to Greece can go for free. that is well out of order. why should a fee be demanded from an English Student but not a French one? where is the fairness in that?

Also the Student numbers won't decrease, just there will likely be more fee-paying ones, so overall income increases.

Also ... the whole system is poor as many Scottish HE establishments favour paying students over local (Scottish) ones in order to get the money in. Maybe if there is a reduction in FREE EU places, some of those places can be made available to home-grown ones instead.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    Total rubbish and further compounding the crap you spout constantly.

What is wrong is the fact that Scotland was allowed to disclude English, Welsh and NI students from the Free Tutition but anyone from Portugal to Greece can go for free. that is well out of order.
    The Student numbers won't decrease, just there will likely be more fee-paying ones

Also ... the whole system is poor as many Scottish HE establishments favour paying students over local (Scottish) ones in order to get the money in. Maybe if there is a reduction in FREE EU places, some of those places can be made available to home-grown ones instead.
    If you believe that imposing charges will not reduce the number of EU students then you must live in a pretty strange universe. And your last sentence shows that you don't understand economics!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    If you believe that imposing charges will not reduce the number of EU students then you must live in a pretty strange universe. And your last sentence shows that you don't understand economics!
    it will reduce the number of non-paying EU Students
    And nowadays, any decent course is over-subscribed, so any (non-paying) EU student will be replaced by either a (non-paying) Scottish Student or a paying EU Student. Win-Win

I don't know why I bother replying to an idiot like you anyway, so think you are one for the ignore list

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    it will reduce the number of non-paying EU Students
    And nowadays, any decent course is over-subscribed, so any (non-paying) EU student will be replaced by either a (non-paying) Scottish Student or a paying EU Student. Win-Win

I don't know why I bother replying to an idiot like you anyway, so think you are one for the ignore list
    Once again, you are ignoring the other income that EU students bring with them. In strict terms of tuition fees you are correct but it is no good taking one figure from the whole and pretending it is the whole. The net effect of fewer EU students is lower income. You may not like that but you need to look at the real world rather than just pick out the pieces you like.

PS I can understand why you want to ignore me - it is always difficult to know you are losing the argument.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Not saying it is fair or good. I was answering the incorrect point about that leaving the EU will reduce the income the Uni gets from EU students.
    Also. I was referring to TUTITION FEES, not the overall cost of attending a university. fees are limited to just about 10k PER ANNUM as far as I am aware. Students even in Scotland still have to pay the living costs, it is just the fees that are not charged.

It can be expensive going to Uni. On my course, I got Sponsorship, plus the full London Grant, plus I worked in the Student Bar and in the Holidays and still had an overdraft.

Ref Nick Clegg - I would argue that if he believes in Tutition Fees, the fact he is not hiding that because of his seat location being one where that view is not popular says more about his personal ethics and intelligence than his desire to make sure he keeps his local popularity.
    I know which stance I have more respect for
    I have more respect for an individual who benefited from a system when it was FREE not a person who affords less opportunity to people than they had. I cant see in the slightest how that is progressive.

If young people are our future, it makes sense to provide a gateway to further education without them being saddled with debt and that applies to everyone. 30 k will get a basic degree embellish with a PGCE etc will cost more. Certainly in England it is proving a barrier to people choosing FE and has for coursed being oversubscribed LAw Medicine Vet science that is true but other subjects the establishments are actively advertising Huddersfield Sheffield and Leeds I have seen recently
    Channa
    Likes John H liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    I have more respect for an individual who benefited from a system when it was FREE not a person who affords less opportunity to people than they had. I cant see in the slightest how that is progressive.

If young people are our future, it makes sense to provide a gateway to further education without them being saddled with debt and that applies to everyone. 30 k will get a basic degree embellish with a PGCE etc will cost more. Certainly in England it is proving a barrier to people choosing FE and has for coursed being oversubscribed LAw Medicine Vet science that is true but other subjects the establishments are actively advertising Huddersfield Sheffield and Leeds I have seen recently
    Channa
    Again, my point was not about the validity of tutition fees, it was about someone (anyone) who had a point of view (any point of view) and is willing to let his belief in that point of view not being swayed by a situation that would be of personal benefit to him if he didn't follow his belief.
    it is THAT principle I am talking about, not if there should be tutition fees or not, or if it is Nick Clegg or not.

Over subscribed courses? there sure are in Scotland as there are no fees for most, are there!!
    Will that continue if EU students no longer get a free pass? Indeed it will as any possible reduction in EU Students will be taken up by the Natives (and as it will be a case of swapping a current non-fee payer for another future non-fee payer, each EU Student getting replaced by one from Scotland will have no fee impact on the Uni).

The trouble with fees vs feeless "Higher Education" courses is there are so many degrees that have very little merit. Should there be free HE for all, doing whatever they fancy?
    In the past, a fair minority of youngsters went to uni to avoid going to work as it didn't cost AND they got a grant as well. But back then there were way less daft degrees around. If you could do any old course you wanted, AND get paid to it, it would cause a financial meltdown.

Other Subjects that are chasing students? I bet there are loads of them when people have to pay 9k a year to do a micky-mouse degree that will be of no real benefit to an employer or themselves.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Will that continue if EU students no longer get a free pass? Indeed it will as any possible reduction in EU Students will be taken up by the Natives (and as it will be a case of swapping a current non-fee payer for another future non-fee payer, each EU Student getting replaced by one from Scotland will have no fee impact on the Uni).
    Once again you miss the point. Even if it were a straight swap (and that is by no means certain) then the income from foreign students is lost. You may think it does not matter whether it is a student from Glasgow or a student from Berlin bringing money into the university but it matters greatly in reality. We are a trading nation and exporting education in this way is a substantial source of revenue for the country. It is an area where we have a positive balance at present. Any decline in it will harm our balance of payments. Further, where they are charged, foreign students are charged more for tuition than home-grown ones so you can't even talk about a straight swap.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    Don't know about Glasgow but Newcastle University has a large percentage of Students from the Far East, so Brexit should have little or no affect.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Quote Originally Posted by maingate View Post
    Don't know about Glasgow but Newcastle University has a large percentage of Students from the Far East, so Brexit should have little or no affect.
    And it also has a large number of students from the EU whose access will be limited in the future and so it will have an effect.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information