CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So much for the domino effect

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Self-build

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Polls have their inaccuracies, of course but can you come up with a more efficient way of measuring opinion between actual elections? Until then, polls are the best we have and their margin of error is not great. The much publicised errors they make are nearly always within the margin of error. In the poll above, the majority is so great that it dwarfs the margin of error. As I said earlier, if anyone wants to take it on, I am willing to bet on the pro-EU parties overwhelming the anti-EU ones in the EU elections.
    Funnily enough our lass, her dad (who lives in Austria) and I were saying similar yesterday. I suspect a back swing (possibly as a protest vote) towards EU.
    Likes John H, N/A liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Quote Originally Posted by hextal View Post
    Funnily enough our lass, her dad (who lives in Austria) and I were saying similar yesterday. I suspect a back swing (possibly as a protest vote) towards EU.
    You could well be right. It seems that, as the EU elections approach, the militant pro-EU supporters in the EU are beginning to come out. Prior to that, militant anti-EU supporters grabbed the headlines; now things are changing. On a personal level, we have never, in all our time spent in mainland Europe, experienced anti-British feeling but friends of ours have reported that recently they have been berated because of Brexit. Admitedly, things would calm down once they announced they were not in favour of it either but if those experiences are typical of a trend, I suspect that the worm is turning.
    Likes hextal, N/A liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Self-build
    Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    You could well be right. It seems that, as the EU elections approach, the militant pro-EU supporters in the EU are beginning to come out. Prior to that, militant anti-EU supporters grabbed the headlines; now things are changing. On a personal level, we have never, in all our time spent in mainland Europe, experienced anti-British feeling but friends of ours have reported that recently they have been berated because of Brexit. Admitedly, things would calm down once they announced they were not in favour of it either but if those experiences are typical of a trend, I suspect that the worm is turning.
    We were there last year, drinking with her dad and lots of his Austrian friends. As it does, Brexit came up. So I 'fessed up and said that I was for it, half expecting a kicking. I talked through my thoughts on it, not sure I changed any minds but I think I brought up things not considered. I did check a few weeks later whether I was now a 'persona non grata' but he said they'd enjoyed chatting about it with someone from the opposite side. As did I in that they raised things I'd not considered.

I really don't know the best way forward from where we are. Strategically I think assuming that we may not end up staying in, or leaving on a veeeeery long timeframe' and so voting in the EU elections with the assumption that it doesn't really matter could prove an interesting mistake.

Edit:- a lot of double negatives in there, but it's too nice out for me to correct it.

Edit edit:- I do always worry that people can get so invested in an earlier opinion that they feel that can't or shouldn't change their view as events unfold. Or possibly I'm just a fence-sitter.
    Last edited by hextal; 28-04-2019 at 14:31.
    Likes John H, iampatman liked this post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information