CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TV license lost

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner

A word of warning.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I recently got an email from the TV Licensing Authority (allegedly) that started with "Oops there was a problem renewing your licence". It had gone straight to my Spam folder but strangely did not show up as a new email in there. There is a link to click which will straighten out the problem after you 'update' your details.

Luckily, old Mrs Maingate didn't raise her kids to be stoopid, so no links get clicked around here.

Also ... beware of an email from an Aishaah Mahboob regarding Lawnswood School in Leeds. I got a phishing email from her this morning and googled the School, then emailed them about it. The School Office Manager said they had been affected by this scam email and so had other schools.

I have had no spam for ages but my Amazon account was compromised and now 2 other scammers are trying it on. I have taken steps by changing passwords etc. but obviously some of my details are out there for the criminals.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Herald Templar
    Quote Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post
    Absolutely not, but they won't pay for the licence because it's means tested. I work for a lot of pensioners that are very well off, so they do exist.
    40% of those eligible for Pension Credits aren't claiming them through ignorance or pride.
    Likes trevskoda, mariesnowgoose liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Herald Templar
    Quote Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post
    Absolutely not, but they won't pay for the licence because it's means tested. I work for a lot of pensioners that are very well off, so they do exist.
    Very true, but what of those without index linked pensions, or no pensions other than the State Pension? I'm fast learning that my annuity isn't going up with inflation, and although I can live now I won't be able to afford to live to a ripe old age.
    Likes Nabsim, delicagirl, mariesnowgoose liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by antiquesam View Post
    40% of those eligible for Pension Credits aren't claiming them through ignorance or pride.
    Everyone here claims for everything and do very little work if any,lazy barstewarts the irish.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes antiquesam liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW transporter
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    Everyone here claims for everything and do very little work if any,lazy barstewarts the irish.
    Presumably you are the exeption to this lamentable fact! 😉
    Likes trevskoda, delicagirl, mariesnowgoose liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by antiquesam View Post
    Or the ability to make the claim !
    Likes trevskoda, mariesnowgoose, channa liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Avantgarde 140 💫
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabsim View Post
    So that says to me that most of the country are already breaking the law and not buying a license then Jennie? I don’t think over 75’s account for over half the population do they?

I have a little way to go yet before I would have qualified but it should be means tested. There will be a good number of folks housebound well under 75 who use tv as their main entertainment.

I am proud of what our parents/grandparents did (and still do don’t forget) to keep us safe but I don’t see why veterans are singled out in this. I dont see anything wrong that anyone who watches tv and can afford it has to buy a license. I do even though I rarely watch tv these days

Edit: sorry Jennie, my first para isn’t meant to have a go at you but the headline and BBC statement. Didn’t realise how it read until after I posted it

I knew what you meant Nabs and it's a brilliant point

In fact, it's a whole lot worse than at first glance because the beeb get income other than licence fees, eg by selling programmes overseas and merchandising, etc. So... to recap, the Government gives the BBC extra money on top of this each year to cover what the beeb would have received from the over 75s and the beeb will have to take responsibility from next year. As you say, that can't possibly account for half their budget, unless there are a heck of a lot more over 75s than under??? Sounds like the beeb are bending the truth a tad... otherwise known as spin, grrrrr All of which means, for once it's not the Government being the bad guys!

By the way, I'm not saying that being a bit more selective about freebies by means testing is necessarily a bad thing, as long as genuinely eligible people don't slip through the net. The fuss is just human nature... no matter how grateful and happy everyone one is to be granted an unexpected freebie in the first place, there's always going to be an outcry when that benevolent 'perk' is taken away again! I just hate that everyone serves the god of profit these days and there's little or no corporate social responsibility... or even conscience

Edit to say... I've found figures...

In 2017/18, there were 25.8 million licences issued, plus just 4.66 million over-75 concessionary licences granted.

So definitely not half then.
    Last edited by Minisorella; 12-06-2019 at 10:33.
    Likes maingate, mariesnowgoose, Nabsim, Caz liked this post
    Thanks mariesnowgoose, Nabsim thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500
    the scammers are on the ball...... i have already had a scam email saying that my TV payment could not be processed by the "authorised" website and would i complete the information required....

BEWARE !!!!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar Globescout PVC
    Whatever the rights or wrongs of the free licence, basically the Government have made it a decision for the BBC and not them.
    So everyone can say nasty Beeb not nasty Tories. Good bit of deflection there.
    Likes channa, Debroos liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by Debroos View Post
    Presumably you are the exeption to this lamentable fact! 😉
    Im not saying a thing in case i incriminate my self osifer hic.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes harrow, Debroos liked this post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information