CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BBC petition to stop the licencing fee nonsense

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto sleeper nuevo

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Winter fuel allowance next . TV license more than a weeks pension for many pensioners .
    Likes bobj808 liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by molly 2 View Post
    Winter fuel allowance next . TV license more than a weeks pension for many pensioners .
    Or 40p a day. And if that's too much, they won9have to pay, as it's means tested...

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Sprinter
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysared View Post
    No
    It's nothing but a government propaganda machine.

Regards,
    Del
    Propaganda, but beyond government.

mariesnowgoose is offline Official OTW
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: She's gone bald!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    Quote Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post
    Or 40p a day. And if that's too much, they won9have to pay, as it's means tested...
    TV licenses are definitely NOT means tested, at least definitely not for 'old-fashioned' pensioners under 75 years.

Specifically, a friend of mine (widow, died earlier this year) living in a council bungalow on basic state pension (boosted slightly by pension credit) had to pay for her TV licence which she did on a weekly basis (couldn't afford to pay all in one go) over the counter at the post office, or other outlet where they take such payments.

Don't forget - TV's are still classed as an unnecessary item as far as benefits are concerned, even though our modern society might consider them essential!

I'd quite like them to remain as an unnecessary item, tbh

I grew up quite happily without one and they can be massive time wasters - bit like online games and social media which are modern equivalents

Give me radio any day, at least you can get on and do other useful things while listening instead of having to waste time watching.
    Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    There but for the grace of God go I
    Likes harrow, izwozral, Debroos, trevskoda, GreggBear liked this post
    Thanks harrow thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Sprinter
    Haven't had a TV for many years, doesn't stop them sending letters and a knock on the door about every 3 years
    Likes trevskoda, ricc liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by mariesnowgoose View Post
    TV licenses are definitely NOT means tested, at least definitely not for 'old-fashioned' pensioners under 75 years.

Specifically, a friend of mine (widow, died earlier this year) living in a council bungalow on basic state pension (boosted slightly by pension credit) had to pay for her TV licence which she did on a weekly basis (couldn't afford to pay all in one go) over the counter at the post office, or other outlet where they take such payments.

Don't forget - TV's are still classed as an unnecessary item as far as benefits are concerned, even though our modern society might consider them essential!

I'd quite like them to remain as an unnecessary item, tbh

I grew up quite happily without one and they can be massive time wasters - bit like online games and social media which are modern equivalents

Give me radio any day, at least you can get on and do other useful things while listening instead of having to waste time watching.
    Quite simple really. If you don't have a Television, or you don't use it to watch TV (maybe just watch DVD say), you don't need a license.

So don't use the TV service, don't have to pay anything for it (even though you may use the services for free that other people are paying for within their license, such as Radio and Website).

Or maybe move to Germany? €200 per annum regardless if you own a TV or not
    Switzerland? €440 if you own a TV OR a Radio (sorry, Marie, you'd have to pay as you like the radio)
    Greece? Doesn't matter if you watch or own a TV, you still pay €50 a year regardless unless you are off-grid
    Same for Italy, except there it is €100 charge per annum.

Just a few examples - just about every country in Europe has Consumer or Government (so whole Population) funded Public Television.

Is anyone really so daft to think if the current License Fee was to be abolished it would not be replaced by something else that would likely be paid by MORE people as well , as the funding will come out of either general or specific taxation, and almost certainly include people who don't watch TV (cue the next "unfair to charge people who don't have a TV for funding the BBC - bring back the TV license" petition)?
    Then again, maybe that would not be such a bad idea so all these people who use the service and pretend they don't (probably sneak into the cinema for free as well? what's the difference?) can't get out of paying for something they use.
    AND the average paid amount will be lower as well quite possibly as the dodgers can't get away with it so easily - so same fund requirement collected amongst more .... so those who do currently pay will end up paying less.... Hmm, maybe I should sign that pathetic petition?

But then again, I believe in paying for what I use and NOT being forced to pay for something I don't, and abolishing the TV License would result in an unfair alternative I would imagine, so I'd stick with the "no thanks" option.
    Last edited by wildebus; 13-06-2019 at 09:34.
    Fed up with the Whingers and Moaners. PMs Turned Off. Sayonara
    Likes Alf liked this post
    Thanks Debroos, alcam thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    09 Fiat Ducato 2.3 Swift Mondial RL
    I am surprised nobody has mentioned the that the 2017 Tory manifesto promised to protect pensioners tv licenses.
    Likes Debroos, maureenandtom, iampatman liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by mariesnowgoose View Post
    I'm talking about the current news that over 75's will now have to pay unless they are on pension credits.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    2009 Chausson Flash 08
    MPs are entitled to free TV licences but not our over 75s. However, only 53 of them claimed them this year. Maybe the rest are embarrassed about all the freebies they can get and knew this was coming with the resultant disquiet . Fraudsters in suits.
    Likes Fazerloz, GreggBear liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by bobj808 View Post
    MPs are entitled to free TV licences but not our over 75s. However, only 53 of them claimed them this year. Maybe the rest are embarrassed about all the freebies they can get and knew this was coming with the resultant disquiet . Fraudsters in suits.
    WHAT/////////Why............why do mps get it free.......
    where there is hope , there is a dreamer
    Likes ricc liked this post

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information