Thread: Green Frog Moffat small meet Nov 29th - Dec 3rd 2018

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Well Terry I was parked on the same pitch as Pat and being a gent I had left room on the hard standing for him to totter home in the dark leaving only one set of wheels on the hardstanding.

When I came to move I went to the right to give plenty room for Pats van thinking it was too tight going left. Well back wheel was only a foot off the grass so as soon as I started to move almost I lost all drive. Ground was so wet after the constant rain on Sunday you could feel yourself sinking just stood on it mind ha ha

So there it is, poor judgement and bad parking Terry, no other excuse. Would not have moved at all without Phil mud boards, there was no feeling at all through the drive and I couldnít hear a thing for the little shite yapping and growling (and nipped me twice pushing her away).

Best bit of it was Pat had started his engine at same time but I didnít hear it, he pulled out roughly same time so I could have gone left after all
    Don't Worry, Be Happy

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabsim View Post
    Well Terry I was parked on the same pitch as Pat and being a gent I had left room on the hard standing for him to totter home in the dark leaving only one set of wheels on the hardstanding.

When I came to move I went to the right to give plenty room for Pats van thinking it was too tight going left. Well back wheel was only a foot off the grass so as soon as I started to move almost I lost all drive. Ground was so wet after the constant rain on Sunday you could feel yourself sinking just stood on it mind ha ha

So there it is, poor judgement and bad parking Terry, no other excuse. Would not have moved at all without Phil mud boards, there was no feeling at all through the drive and I couldnít hear a thing for the little shite yapping and growling (and nipped me twice pushing her away).

Best bit of it was Pat had started his engine at same time but I didnít hear it, he pulled out roughly same time so I could have gone left after all
    Seems to me another sinking setup Neil.

When I arrived a year past last Oct meet, there was no meet and greet personnel to seen. Obviously scared of the dark and cold and, I tentatively headed towards my pitch in total darkness, like trying to land an aircraft with no landing lights to guide me.

Anyways, you know who you are, and only appeared after I crashed and burned.

Seems to me that Pat, aka Bruce, made no attempt to allow you to move off pitch safely, and he should know better of the ground conditions at the Frog during wet conditions, thus Bruce moving off at same time, was a deliberate attempt to have you move into the sinking zone.

Least we not forget, eh Neil!!
    Likes Nabsim liked this post

The laird is online now Full Member
    Name: Gordon
    Spouse: Fonky fi

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer b544 and luv it
    The night shift had not clocked in by the time you arrived 🤪
    Likes runnach liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    Well, I knew it could have gone better (The last time I drove that road, a motorbike was heading right to me (on MY side of the road) and he had to ride up the verge and crash to avoid going through my windscreen)
    On the journey TO the Frog, front of van got covered by muck after taking avoiding action with on-coming vehicle - but that washed off.

On the journey FROM the Frog, more avoiding action to avoid oncoming vehicles (why do drivers of cars on that road think they hve to drive in the middle around the bends?!) and this time the consequences won't wash off ....

IMG_20181204_094453
    by David, on Flickr

Non-Repairable due to where the post welds have sheared off so time for angle-grinder to cut away. Alas poor step, I will miss you.

But apart from that, a fun meet
    Rain stopped for a while so got to work on the step removal.

Look Ma, No Step
    by David, on Flickr

The front two supports had both broken off from the supports bolted to the floor when I stepped on it (so clearly very weakened), so just needed to remove the central rear one. Little tricky as was between the fuel tank and the propshaft so used the grinder to cut away at the bottom and then after driving up the levelling ramps to raise the side for better access, unbolted the top where it was mounted to the underfloor.

Given the way the front top supports had broken off at the top AND the welds at the bottom had just about given way (slight tap with a lump hammer bent each one flat so I could slide the complete step frabrication away from underneath), I think it was already quite weak and a couple of heavy bounces on the step getting in and out could have made it give way, which would have been a right pain if away from the tools at a meet for example and a potential recovery job as would not have been able to drive with the step dragging on the ground.
    Anyone carries an Angle Grinder in their van?
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit

The laird is online now Full Member
    Name: Gordon
    Spouse: Fonky fi

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer b544 and luv it
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    Rain stopped for a while so got to work on the step removal.

Look Ma, No Step
    by David, on Flickr

The front two supports had both broken off from the supports bolted to the floor when I stepped on it (so clearly very weakened), so just needed to remove the central rear one. Little tricky as was between the fuel tank and the propshaft so used the grinder to cut away at the bottom and then after driving up the levelling ramps to raise the side for better access, unbolted the top where it was mounted to the underfloor.

Given the way the front top supports had broken off at the top AND the welds at the bottom had just about given way (slight tap with a lump hammer bent each one flat so I could slide the complete step frabrication away from underneath), I think it was already quite weak and a couple of heavy bounces on the step getting in and out could have made it give way, which would have been a right pain if away from the tools at a meet for example and a potential recovery job as would not have been able to drive with the step dragging on the ground.
    Anyone carries an Angle Grinder in their van?
    Rae jimll Fix it had a grinder at the frog��
    Last edited by The laird; 07-12-2018 at 15:25.
    Thanks wildebus thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by The laird View Post
    Rae jimll Fox has a grinder at the frog👍
    Handy to know. I carry a few tools with me but never reckoned on needing unplanned time with an Grinder. All sorted out now - will just be using the loose folding step I bought for the T4 a few years ago from now on.
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vwlt46 converted premia body ambulance
    i must admit i have one in the ambulance and (keep it quiet between ourselves a generator lol)
    which will all be left out when the new peugeot boxer comes
    i will miss having 4.5ton gross it can be an advantage

rab
    Likes The laird liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleeper Talisman
    That's Ann and me just back, sorry about the time delay, as always, fantastic meet. Would love to take this opportunity to thank Gordon for organising another great meet.

Rae & Ann
    Oh the posh posh travelling life, the travelling life for me.
    Likes The laird liked this post
    Thanks The laird thanked for this post

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread Information