CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Thread: Touring Ireland June/July 2016

antje Guest

Touring Ireland June/July 2016

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I have just come back from a most wonderful tour of Ireland, I did 3054 miles and starting in Rosslare, went up the east coast, completing an anti-clockwise circuit of the whole country, sticking mostly to the coast, but with forays inland whenever an interesting 'target' came into view. As I had no schedule to keep, I was able to explore the fantastic beaches, mountains and gentle countryside of the Midlands. I only spent 3 nights in campsites during the 8 weeks, (note: I found that there are as yet not enough campsites, so anyone relying on staying in sites, would have to carefully plan ahead). I can highly recommend BELLEEK PARK CC site near BALLLINA, and, particularly MORTIMER'S MANNIX POINT near CAHERSIVEEN. Mortimer's Mannix Point is a great site, as well as the usual facilities, there is a common room/lounge with log fire burning, where people meet most evenings for conversation and to make music!!! Having a relatively small camper van, I found that I could attempt just about any narrow lane, which made it possible for me to discover the most beautiful beaches and overnight stops; and also to go up and over some rather tricky passes (Caher Pass and Gap of Dunloe come to mind which would be difficult in larger motorhomes). At first, I found the absence of 'lay-byes' as we know them rather tiresome, but as one gets used to it, stopping-off places for a cup of tea become apparent. Another thing to be aware of, apart from some counties, such as Kerry, Waterford and Wexham, I could not find any rubbish bins anywhere!!! There are plenty of recycling facilities, but they are for the usual paper/plastic etc only. So, it was a case of generating as little rubbish as possible and disposing of it with shop/garage owners permission in their bins, or in beach rubbish bins where found. Once through Ulster, you pick up the WILD ATLANTIC WAY which will lead you south as far as KINSALE. Follow it and if stuck for somewhere to park, there are viewing points along the way,where one can overnight if really pressed for somewhere. I strongly recommend the purchase of the WILD ATLANTIC WAY ROUTE ATLAS Euro 15,- (ISBN 978-0-9552655-6-3) the best investment one can make. Also, from Tourist Information there are free copies of WILD ATLANTIC WAY pocket guides for the various areas, which are very useful indeed. Beaches to die for, fabulous scenery, great walking along long-distances paths in the various regions, great food, and wonderfully hospitable people ...... Ireland is definitely worth visiting!!
    Last edited by antje; 19-08-2016 at 11:25.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    T4
    Off to Ireland next week... thanks for the above especially the bit about rubbish!

WRT lack of laybys etc where did you end up stopping-up?

didds

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Frankia I650ED
    We travelled down the Wild Atlantic Way a few years ago, predominantly wild camping and encountered the same problems getting rid of rubbish. I found Ireland the most difficult country in Europe in terms of disposing of general waste.

We moved out here early this year and have the same problem, bin collections are outsourced to private contractors but we're out in the sticks and none of the bin companies will travel down our little narrow lane. So we have no domestic refuse service at all. We compost, recycle bottles, cans etc, burn paper and card, this leaves us with one football-sized bin bag of waste every week to dispose of. Supermarkets usually have a bin outside and since it's largely their excessive packaging you're having trouble disposing of, I see no problem in giving it back to them.

So my recommendation is to use small pedal bin bags and aim to dispose of regularly. Don't wait until you have a huge stinking black bin bag full because you won't be able to get rid of it anywhere.

antje Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    Off to Ireland next week... thanks for the above especially the bit about rubbish!

WRT lack of laybys etc where did you end up stopping-up?

didds
    Good morning,
    Once I got used to 'no lay-bys', it did not take long to get the hang of finding stopping places. My camper is relatively small (Ford Transit mini bus conversion) which means I could go down just about any narrow twisting lane, and used this to the full. With the SatNav on, I'd look for turn-offs leading down to the coast and found fantastic spots adjacent to the most beautiful beaches. In most of the National Parks, it is relatively easy to park. I did notice larger campers parked in Pub car parks and was told that most pubs are quite happy to let you stop if you have a drink in the pub. To empty the toilet obviously needed a CC site, I pulled into 2 of these, explaining that I had no time to stop the night and offered to pay to empty, but was allowed to empty the toilet without paying! Some beaches have toilets (port-a-loo kiosk type). I am sure you will have a great time, 'relax' into the laid-back way of life and ENJOY!

Thread Information