CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yorkshire quiz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Self-build

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    12/16 I too no idea of the fictious brewery on Emmerdale ...Monks what ? I have erd of Monk Bretton in Barnsley and Monks cross in York ,,,,Theakstons or even Sam Smiths in Tadcaster proper bloody ale , even Stones in Sheffield.

Written by bloody southerners that quiz..Bread cake /teacake and everyone knows a bag o chips wi scraps is yer bloody supper.

If you really want a thread that goes to 50 pages plus ask what a scallop is or fish cake

As for leaving a door open "Was tha born in a barn ? "

What I can say and I am serious is the differences locally are amazing in terms and habits. I grew up in Doncaster and I now live amongst the Wessies ( West Yorkshire folk ) 30 miles a different world ..It really is honestly ..

Like Cornwall and Cumbria , a chat with the elders is always interesting , As a young boy I took a lady Nellie Earnshaw for a trip to Doncaster, she was blind and ran a guest house !!! theatrical New Seekers , Mud , Peters and Lee when the clubs were booming. We were late home me mum was havin kittens, Nellie said don't clip him Mrs Channa I have had a wonderful day. Mrs Earnshaw was made homeless via German bombs during the war 3 times I kid not she grew up in Sheffield..Her stories fantastic as a young lad.

A bit of Yorkshire humour (not true a joke ) My Grandad grew up in Sheffield and when the Germans bombed he refused to go in the air raid shelters, He said if it has yer name on it lad tha has a problem otherwise don't worry ........Our next door neighbours were terrified ..................Mr and Mrs Dooodlebug

A beautiful county with great people in the main.

Channa
    As a non-native to these parts, some of the terminology threw me when I first moved here.

"When are you open till?" "While 5" eh??
    "Where's the shop?". " Down ginnel". Eh???
    "Chips please" "want a bread cake love". huh???

On a different note I've designed a few civils schemes around Sheffield/Rotherham and had a few mates that have worked on others. All had to have the EOD bods in, some several times, due to shells being uncovered.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Quote Originally Posted by hextal View Post
    As a non-native to these parts, some of the terminology threw me when I first moved here.

"When are you open till?" "While 5" eh??
    "Where's the shop?". " Down ginnel". Eh???
    "Chips please" "want a bread cake love". huh???

On a different note I've designed a few civils schemes around Sheffield/Rotherham and had a few mates that have worked on others. All had to have the EOD bods in, some several times, due to shells being uncovered.
    Yorkshire folk as a rule very friendly , yet fiercely proud of this little pocket of the country. My comments an observation of how even within the county interpretation of terms is very different. On that note I suppose an outsider has no chance !!

The diversity of the area is amazing. I have grown up and lived here. The diversity of the people only matched by diversity of the county, Wolds Moors dales all different . The coast line sweeping beaches to jaw dropping cliffs the county has it all.

Leeds ,Sheffield and York all different, in there own way...hit the countryside, Thirsk , Malton Pickering as example different world to our citys, then the hidden jewels Beverly Hull ,,,,It really is a diverse county and well worth a visit.

Yorkshire is often described as gods own county , spend a little time here the label soon becomes apparent,
    o
    I don't apologise for my blatant promotion of the county . It really is a little treasure, lots to do and see and the people are ok too !!!

Channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Self-build
    Spent first decade in the Midlands, nice people but the place made me feel quite claustrophobic.
    Next decade in Staffordshire, definitely felt less enclosed.
    Last 2 decades here, lovely stuff.

If I were to move away from here I guess it would have to be Scotland, though don't want to pull on that thread here.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Kangoo 4x4 Trekka
    9 out of 16 for me, not bad I think being Welsh LOL

Member Number
    Motorhome
    New majestic 125
    Quote Originally Posted by n brown View Post
    Us Cumbrians dont bother much about whats going on down south, but its definitely supper and you get it from a chip shop

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Ford Transit tent on wheels
    Just to make it more complicated you can have dinner for tea and a Sunday dinner during the week if you have a roast at teatime.

My Wessie husband makes sandwiches with tea cakes whereas I (being from East Yorkshire) use bread cakes. However my mam uses plain cakes.

Then there are the patties you buy in Hull chippies. Light, fluffy mash mixed with herbs (each chippy used to have it's own recipe) dipped in batter or breadcrumbed and deep fried.

Scallops are fried potato slices (not chipped) in Hull but they're a piece of fish sandwiched between potato slices dipped in batter and fried in West Yorks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information