CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Benefits

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkshireCPLE View Post
    Makes us sick the way this benefit system works (or should we say doesn't)!!!
    Due to having surgery and been left with a disability, no I didn't claim against the NHS and now I've also suffered a heart attack and unable to work. Following this the wife got cancer and she too had to stop work for a year whilst undergoing surgery, Chemo and Radiotherapy. She's worked for the same Company for 30 years and had to claim ESP. (1st time she's ever claimed ever) They paid her the standard rate.
    I've been told I'm not disabled enough to get the points needed to be able to claim due to the fact I don't need a carer and the wife is employed full time. So basically we live of her wage alone. She's a secretary so not a huge wage.
    Now she has just got back to full time work and slowly trying to get back on our feet financially when through the post came a TAX BILL so we can pay tax back on the benefits that she got while off sick. Nobody told us that this would happen. We presumed the money she was getting was to live on. After all, she has always been on PAYE and never had to do a tax return so you can imagine our surprise when we found out they wanted nearly 800 back by end of this January bearing in mind the first we heard of this was about 8 weeks before the dead line.
    We have called them to ask why it wasn't sorted through her works sick pay and the tax code. They still haven't told us. They told us to setup an online simple tax payment thing online and pay it by the 31st Jan. But we aren't in a position to. . They didn't want to help and just told us to wait until the next letter and then they will see what can be done. (still waiting)
    As far as we are concerned it should of been explained to us and her tax code should of been changed to cover this.
    When we were dealing with cancer treatments all other things were a bit of a blur. We are now waiting to see what the next move is from HMRC but to be honest they can't get blood from a stone.
    there are a number of free tax advice forums run by ex Tax Inspectors who help the working folks to challenge the Revenue's illegal demands to "pay it all now or else" - sorry i cant remember the names.... google is a great resource. also maybe MoneysavingExperts Martin lewis's forum has an active and useful sub-forum ... have a look..
    Thanks yorkshireCPLE, mariesnowgoose thanked for this post

Member Number
    Due to having surgery and been left with a disability, no I didn't claim against the NHS and now I've also suffered a heart attack and unable to work. Following this the wife got cancer and she too had to stop work for a year whilst undergoing surgery, Chemo and Radiotherapy. She's worked for the same Company for 30 years and had to claim ESP. (1st time she's ever claimed ever) They paid her the standard rate.
    I've been told I'm not disabled enough to get the points needed to be able to claim due to the fact I don't need a carer and the wife is employed full time. So basically we live of her wage alone. She's a secretary so not a huge wage.
    Now she has just got back to full time work and slowly trying to get back on our feet financially when through the post came a TAX BILL so we can pay tax back on the benefits that she got while off sick. Nobody told us that this would happen. We presumed the money she was getting was to live on. After all, she has always been on PAYE and never had to do a tax return so you can imagine our surprise when we found out they wanted nearly 800 back by end of this January bearing in mind the first we heard of this was about 8 weeks before the dead line.
    We have called them to ask why it wasn't sorted through her works sick pay and the tax code. They still haven't told us. They told us to setup an online simple tax payment thing online and pay it by the 31st Jan. But we aren't in a position to. . They didn't want to help and just told us to wait until the next letter and then they will see what can be done. (still waiting)
    As far as we are concerned it should of been explained to us and her tax code should of been changed to cover this.
    When we were dealing with cancer treatments all other things were a bit of a blur. We are now waiting to see what the next move is from HMRC but to be honest they can't get blood from a stone.
    Hopefully the tax people will adjust your wifes paye tax code and just take a little money at a time.

I have been on ESA, JSA, going back and hopefully going back on ESA.

I receive zero in benefits but the DWP say they might pay my national insurance stamp.

As I have said in another thread do find out about your state pension, I worked more that 40 years for the same PLC but I am still not entitled to a full state pension.
    Likes mariesnowgoose liked this post
    Thanks mariesnowgoose thanked for this post

yorkshireCPLE is offline Full Member
    Name: Carl
    Spouse: Helen, the better half...

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson Welcome 28
    Quote Originally Posted by harrow View Post
    Hopefully the tax people will adjust your wifes paye tax code and just take a little money at a time.

I have been on ESA, JSA, going back and hopefully going back on ESA.

I receive zero in benefits but the DWP say they might pay my national insurance stamp.

As I have said in another thread do find out about your state pension, I worked more that 40 years for the same PLC but I am still not entitled to a full state pension.
    Yes let's hope so, she pays into a private pension too so hopefully she will be ok when it comes to that time. As for me that's what DWP said to me, but I don't even claim that, 1 to much hassle being involved with them, 2 if I take after my dad and his brother I wont even reach pension age so with any luck I'll of turned me toes up by then..

Member Number
    Yes let's hope so, she pays into a private pension too so hopefully she will be ok when it comes to that time. As for me that's what DWP said to me, but I don't even claim that, 1 to much hassle being involved with them, 2 if I take after my dad and his brother I wont even reach pension age so with any luck I'll of turned me toes up by then..
    The DWP will be pleased !
    Likes yorkshireCPLE liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson Welcome 28
    The DWP will be pleased !
    LOL. Won't make no difference to them. I get nowt off'em!!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master (Self Built)
    We are now waiting to see what the next move is from HMRC but to be honest they can't get blood from a stone.
    Your post @yorkshireCPLE has made me absolutely hopping mad, how dare they!!!! But as for your last few words quoted above, I am sorry to say that HMRC has a habit of getting blood out of a stone!!

OK, I know what you are saying about politics etc. everyone is entitled to have their own opinion, but in a case like yours I suggest that both of you sit down and compose a long and detailed letter and send it to your MP. This is easy to do as there is a website which gives links to who all your publicly elected representatives are WriteToThem - Email your Councillor, MP, MEP, MSP or Welsh, NI, or London Assembly Member for free it is a very good site and one I have used several times to communicate with my own chocolate tea pot MP whom I am now in the process of trying to get deselected.

Good luck, my heart goes out to you.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    within the last few posts there is some outdated information

You need to follow these steps to the letter with no deviations and I am assuming you have no live self employed business and below retirement age.

You will probably find your area is now using the universal credit fiasco

1) register for the JSA element and sign on once
    2) immeadiately afterwards submit a fitness note (Sick note)
    3 ) They will remove you from JSA and place you on the ESA assessment rate , at which point you will get a UC ESA assessment which may result in more benefit and access to appeal processes

ESA assessment rate and JSA is identical not sure how a working spouse will affect you financially but offer a template to get the ball rolling

Channa

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post

You need to follow these steps to the letter with no deviations and I am assuming you have no live self employed business and below retirement age.

3 ) They will remove you from JSA and place you on the ESA assessment rate , at which point you will get a UC ESA assessment which may result in more benefit and access to appeal processes

ESA assessment rate and JSA is identical not sure how a working spouse will affect you financially but offer a template to get the ball rolling

Channa
    Everywhere is now covered by universal credit. ESA now becomes "new style ESA" and you have to apply on paper and have a starting interview at the job centre.
    (health and work conversation)

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Everywhere is now covered by universal credit. ESA now becomes "new style ESA" and you have to apply on paper and have a starting interview at the job centre.
    (health and work conversation)
    That's the reason Harrow I chose words I thought carefully, ESA old style was a telephone paperwork exercise,

Channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson Welcome 28
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post

Channa
    Thanks Channa, I will try that the next time we are in the area of home while she's off for a holiday break and see what we can sort out. Thanks for the advise..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information