CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Tab Content
No Recent Activity

5 Visitor Messages

1. ...cont from before.

I have to disagree a bit there (hence the personal message rather than the thread) - I've gone from wild camping in a van to working at an off-grid place with over a kW of PV panels, huge batteries (48V, 400AH) and computer controlled charge controllers & inverters that look after a deep well water pump, water purification plant, 7 other pumps that are 240V/25W a piece for shifting water around the place, as well as lighting and refridgeration. Over winter the batteries went flat. As in the hydrometer wasn't even reading at all . To bring those monsters back to full (1275+ Specific Gravity) really took a lot of cosseting - not wrapped in cotton wool ( it's fibreglass insulation!). I've had to come up to speed on four stage charging, setting hysteresis levels for bulk/absorption/float and EQ. I wish I'd known all this stuff when we suffered the odd flat battery in the van.

Best wishes and happy travels ...

Mild Red
  2. Hello!

In the battery charging thread you said:

well the post i put on about charging a flat battery i said top up.

Ah - now I see the confusion - I understood you to mean, well, "top up" as when the barman gives you a glass more froth than ale and you go back and say "top it up to the line please"

and

i as for being thankfull about the off grid place, we happen to full time so we only have batteries for power so quite understand about these things .batteries do not need wraping up in cotton wool nowadays

See next post ...
  3. Hi
    Me and my wife are 4 weeks away from full timing in a white Iveco - which we haven't bought yet... We both work full time - I have a company van also - and I would love to know about your first experiences of fulltiming. We intend to head South to France in a year, but until then it's stealth camping around North London in a white panel van. Is there somewhere I could read about how you started and what you overlooked or under estimated. Toilets come to mind, whatever system you use, it's all pretty hands-on, it seems. I came to London in a LWB Transit when I was seventeen, did six months around Kings Cross area in a bare van with a sleeping bag. Fantastic time, went out to clubs every night, swimming every morning. A bit nervous now about things you might not think about until you're doing it, as it were.
    Anyway, nice to make contact with you.
    Andy
  4. hi hope you fullfil your dream as for the cons first. not too many as we dont use campsites we just wild there has been the odd time we have picked a spot to stay a little unsutable but you soon learn .other than that things have worked out fine no real probs public loos are ok for empting the van toilet as we dont use nasty chemicals just organic and the best bit is meeting so many new freinds on our travels
  5. View Conversation
    nice to see another full timer on this site,i cant wait for ourselves to go full timing,its my dream!Gotta wait a few years though.What pros and cons have you found?
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 5 of 5
About mandrake

Basic Information

Date of Birth
February 29
About mandrake
Vehicle:
wobble box

Signature

in the process of hunting for another tin shed on wheels

Statistics

Total Posts