CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comfort want a tracker fitted, any other reasonable priced companies.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autoroller 695

Comfort want a tracker fitted, any other reasonable priced companies.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Just got a letter from Comfort prior to renewal. Their pet insurers Aviva want a tracker fitted to my Ford based MH or they wont insure it. This would have to be Thatcham 5/6 and would cost several hundred pounds and a minimum of two hundred a year in fees. They can offer a lesser alternative company for seventy pounds more than the £244 I pay now. Any recommendations, I only do about 4k a year, retired and have a spotless licence and claim history.
    Cheers, Tompa.

wakk44 is offline Full member
    Name: Steve
    Spouse: memsahib

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B644
    There is a lot of variations in quotes and conditions among the different motorhome insurance companies,sometimes there doesn't seem to be any logical explanation,they all have their different criteria for calculating premiums and they do vary enormously.

Try AIB(who give a discount for WC members),Safeguard,Caravan Guard and the 2 main clubs are all worth a try.Keep us informed,it's interesting to see the different quotes.
    Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
    Likes jagmanx liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    Safeguard for me insurance and breakdown combined Over they years i`ve tried all the others but i keep going back to them
    You Look Nice Are You The Doctor
    Likes Chainsaw Charlie liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1997 Lunar Road Star 570 2001 BMW 1150RS
    Caravan guard for me, tried AiB last year because I won a discount voucher but I wouldn't touch them again.

Caravan and motorhome insurance from Caravan Guard
    Lord 'Oppy, Laird of Dunans

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Halfords dome tent £15
    Just spoken with Safeguard about a van and what is required they say no alarm or tracker up to 45k then between 45k and 100k it is either alarm or tracker that is on their approved list , over 100k you have to have both a tracker and alarm .
    Likes DeryneGillian liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Halfords dome tent £15
    Also was interesting that the value of a new van is the price you pay not the list price , I asked as was looking at an unregistered demo vehicle that is now heavily discounted, this would not affect the new for old cover most motorhome insurers offer for 2 or 3 years .

Member Number
    I always wonder what it cost's to get on a insurance companys approved alarm list and what the alarm / tracker company pay to them per installation
    Likes Tompa liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Charlie View Post
    Just spoken with Safeguard about a van and what is required they say no alarm or tracker up to 45k then between 45k and 100k it is either alarm or tracker that is on their approved list , over 100k you have to have both a tracker and alarm .
    Valid considerations here about the value of the vehicle

Also unfortunate;y for the OP Transit based vehicles seem very easy to steal.

Trackers (IMO) are of limited advantage in that they do not prevent theft

Alarms reduce theft
    Disklok as well

Nothing is "Theftproof"
    Likes alwaysared, Tompa liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar Campscout Revolution
    Sadly I think the Ford Transit base is a big obstacle that they won’t like.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika EcoVip 712
    Faced with the same when we bought our Liaka .. It was over £60,000 so AIB wanted an Alarm and Tracker fitting. Cost was over £1200 with yearly fee as well. Southdown suggested NFU in Christchurch. They are not bothered about an alarm or tracker but it cost about £100 more to insure. But as we didn't have an ongoing fee for tracker etc it worked out cheaper. They also offer new for old for first two years.

If Aviva want an Alarm and Tracker fitting because it's a Ford based MH it won't be long before all the other insurers follow. Its a shame really as Ford could sort it out. It's not rocket science to fit a new type of lock and beef up the security including removing the ability to clone keys but I suppose they then leave themselves wide open to claims of not fit for purpose and people demanding their money back as they are so easy to nick.
    Last edited by QFour; 09-02-2018 at 15:43.
    Likes Chainsaw Charlie liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information