CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Travel insurance for over 70s

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1997 Lunar Road Star 570 2001 BMW 1150RS

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Thanks folks, you always come up trumps, you're brilliant. But, Sue and I have decided to put the decision on hold until we are stabilised, I'll just cancel the damned auto renewal con that insurers seem to sneak in to their policies and take out a policy when we are ready, but if you don't mind, I'll keep all these suggestions for a later date. Thank you again my friends
    Be the best that you can, without causing pain to others
    Likes 2cv, saxonborg liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Have you looked at the free insurance you get with a Nationwide Flexaccount? You are over its age limit, but last time I looked (which was some time ago) it was not very expensive to buy your way out of the age limit.
    [Later] Just checked: it costs 65 per year if you are over 70.
    Changes to travel insurance age upgrade | Nationwide
    Last edited by hairydog; 08-02-2019 at 16:01.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Once you reach 70, a lot of companies limit you to 30 days or so - including Nationwide. I have found that one of the best is LV because it gives you up to 90 days up to the age of 80. To be sure of what is on offer, I always refer to the MoneySavingExpert website of Martin Lewis - a good start for any search.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Once you reach 70, a lot of companies limit you to 30 days or so - including Nationwide. I have found that one of the best is LV because it gives you up to 90 days up to the age of 80. To be sure of what is on offer, I always refer to the MoneySavingExpert website of Martin Lewis - a good start for any search.
    The Nationwide cover can be extended for trips over 31 days. It seems to be around 60 extra for 90 days. I'm not a fan of LV insurance. They are cheap for a reason!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by saxonborg View Post
    Have you had a look at a aNationwide Flexplus account, it includes UK and European breakdown cover, it also has travel insurance for you and your family, however if you are over seventy you would have to get an age extension policy and declare any pre-existing conditions. However as it is rolled up with the breakdown cover which will also cover your car it may just be a better deal
    Not just breakdown cover for a car: it covers motorhomes too. And that breakdown/recovery cover is not age limited or just for short trips.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    The Nationwide cover can be extended for trips over 31 days. It seems to be around 60 extra for 90 days. I'm not a fan of LV insurance. They are cheap for a reason!
    I have a Nationwide account and the "free" travel insurance they give you. I have looked into it compared to others. For people over 70 with pre-existing conditions, the premiums for extending it to the same as LV means you end up paying the same or more. It may be "free" for short term trips if you are of working age and fit but for us it is not the best option.
    Last edited by John H; 09-02-2019 at 08:38.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    fiat-ducato ci carioca 694

me

Quote Originally Posted by oppy View Post
    We've just received our renewal notice from Staysure and they've bumped up the price from 315 last year to 392 this, and also now limited us to a maximum of 35 days per trip. Is this reasonable or can anyone offer advice on a better deal.
    Ta
    im with n.wide about same price,? 31 days in europe /,,pj

Member Number
    Motorhome
    High top van conversion
    Try Saga.120 days a year.max 60 days at a time.240, bought through top cash back, so will receive cash back in a couple of months.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    I have a Nationwide account and the "free" travel insurance they give you. I have looked into it compared to others. For people over 70 with pre-existing conditions, the premiums for extending it to the same as LV means you end up paying the same or more. It may be "free" for short term trips if you are of working age and fit but for us it is not the best option.
    My experience of LV as an insurer makes me think it'd be worth paying more.
    However, I'm not a fan of insurance at all.
    I like to have the free breakdown cover, but hadn't ever thought about the fact that I get free travel insurance: I don't feel it has much value.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    My experience of LV as an insurer makes me think it'd be worth paying more.
    However, I'm not a fan of insurance at all.
    I like to have the free breakdown cover, but hadn't ever thought about the fact that I get free travel insurance: I don't feel it has much value.
    Each to their own but I have not had any bad experiences with LV and they are not necessarily cheap but offer wider benefits than many others that charge similar premiums. However, I always consult Martin Lewis before I take out any travel insurance because what is good value one year is not necessarily good value the next. I do know, however, that the "free" insurance provided to me by Nationwide has never come out near the top of the list.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information