CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: to sell or not to sell my car

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500

to sell or not to sell my car

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    last year i paid £237 for my van insurance and recovery/repatriation with AIB for 8,000 miles per annum. This was with no NCD as the NCD was on my Ford StreetKa 2 seater soft top.

This year i am trying to decide if i should get rid of my Ford and use the van as my only vehicle. i have had a quote for £416 as my only vehicle (with 9 years NCD transferred from the Ford to the van) and with an annual mileage of 10,000 and a lot more days of european travesl.

What advantages and disadvantages can folks come up with for my selling the Ford (which i love - especially in the summer, driving round with the soft top down and my hair blowing in the wind and feeling 29 again !!)

Ford is petrol so less polluting than the van which is diesel.

The van is a lot slower as i rarely go above 50mph as fuel usage soars over 55mph.

i have not yet found a new garage i can trust in my new village... thats a thought too....

lateral thinking ideas welcome..... thanks
    Last edited by delicagirl; 27-03-2019 at 15:37.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T
    How about an electric bike as a replacement,still get the wind in your hair and nil running costs just to run to local shops etc,if having the van as your main vehicle it may just be a matter of modifying the times you take that to the shops ie outside of busy times. I've been using my truck as my only means for the last 6 months and it's really not that inconvenient if you think ahead.
    Sent From My Cheap Mobile Using Tapafatfinger.
    Likes delicagirl, trevskoda, bazzybabes liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    How about an electric bike as a replacement,still get the wind in your hair and nil running costs just to run to local shops etc,if having the van as your main vehicle it may just be a matter of modifying the times you take that to the shops ie outside of busy times. I've been using my truck as my only means for the last 6 months and it's really not that inconvenient if you think ahead.

DOH so have i !! i sorned the car last autumn when i went away in the van and never re-insured it..... lol !!
    Likes Asterix liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Concorde charisma
    Another thought delicious, whatís the parking like in local towns and villages can you get parked in the van are there any car parks with height restrictions on,
    I had a triumph spitfire rag top when younger, I decided a few years ago when I was thinking about getting something a bit sporty again that I would hire a sports car if I wanted the wind in the hair feeling.

Itís still a bit early for selling a soft top they sell much better in the late spring early summer, why donít you book yourself a holiday say on the west coast of Scotland or somewhere with windy roads and take a week to have a blast enjoy the wind in your hair, looking at scenery enjoying the experience then go home and sell it, 😄
    Likes delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Roadtrek 190V
    I got rid of my car over 2yrs ago and haven't regretted it,when nipping to the shops I have to think about it a little more as parking isn't as easy, but when you think about how much it costs just to keep a car on the road per year with Tax, Insurance, Servicing/MOT and general repairs, that buys a lot of fuel for the van.
    Colin
    Warning: Definitely contains nuts.
    Likes delicagirl, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Concorde charisma
    Price up how much it is for six months insurance and tax, then once a year go out and hire a car to that value, you won’t be lost anything, or how about joining a local car club, you can book a car to use over a specific weekend in Cambridge they have some nice classic sports cars available
    Last edited by andyjanet; 27-03-2019 at 16:25.
    Likes delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T5 Auto-Sleepers Trooper
    We goy rid of our car 6 years ago I am the only driver so it was expensive to insure and tax two vehicles for one drive, a no brainer actually I have the van on unlimited mileage as well.

Alf
    Likes delicagirl, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    it sounds like you don't really need it so may as well get rid. As has been said, bit of a seasonal car so wait until the good weather to move on
    Fed up with the Whingers and Moaners. PMs Turned Off. Sayonara
    Likes delicagirl, Alf liked this post

Member Number
    You can get a months car insurance easily enough but I can't find 3 or 6 monthly insurance.

I have not had any vehicle at all since January the costs are spiraling.

I did have a small motorbike but that insurance went up two and a half times.

No wonder the kids drive round with no insurance.

Thank goodness I have a bus pass.
    Likes delicagirl, Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Carthago Chic C-Line 4.9
    Financially get rid, emotionally keep it. Not much help but thatís how I see your choice.
    Likes delicagirl, jenks liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information