CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheapest way to get to France

berniesbargreece Guest

Cheapest way to get to France

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I have just been looking at ferry crossings from Dover to Calais, DFDS seem cheap enough, however my motorhome is more than 2.4m high, (about 3m) and more than 5m in length (by about 350mm). The price doubles for my size, It looks like I fall into a category that allows up to 9 passengers, does that sound right?/!!Ddo they allow me 'rounding up' ferry passengers (each chipping in) or is this forbidden. Has anyone got any hidden gems they use to keep the price low.

Any help would be most grateful.

Bernie (Freebird)

Member Number
    We use Tesco vouchers on Eurotunnel, they are worth 3 times the face value of the voucher. With Eurotunnel they class all motorhomes as campervans there is no difference in price what ever the size. With the ferries the best deals I have had are by just ringing them up & haggling over the price, it all depends on how far in advance you can book for your trip as the nearer the departure the more the price is likely to rise.
    Ed
    Likes fairytooth liked this post

Member Number
    Hello
    I've found over the last few years DFDS (Norfolkline) or Seafrance to be the cheapest crossing. Just been on the DFDS site and it looks like their prices have increased significantly in just the past few weeks.
    I wonder if this has anything to do with the demise of Seafrance

Blue Skies

Piglets Pilot Guest
    Hi . If you are a member of Caravan club its 38 each way on DFDS most of the time but you have to be a member and book though the C/C. Terry

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer Eribacar 580
    I use DFDS but book through AFerry.com. They don't seen to have the same measurements criteria

carlsenior Guest

Try Transeuropa

I Know it's not directly to France, they run from Ramsgate to Ostende (only about 70miles to Calais)
    they run a really cheap service as they are mainly freight! so as long as you don't expect a 5* ferry they really do the job! I've used them on many occasions and had great service every time
    Height isn't a problem and as they carry mostly HGV I don't think they'll even bother with the length so you'll get the car rate

Transeuropa Ferries

macbob Guest
    I took my motorhome through the tunnel 2 weeks ago only took 35 minutes and cost 42 each way and I enjoyed the comfort of my motorhome throughout the journey.
    Likes fairytooth liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar Campscout
    Quote Originally Posted by carlsenior View Post
    I Know it's not directly to France, they run from Ramsgate to Ostende (only about 70miles to Calais)
    they run a really cheap service as they are mainly freight! so as long as you don't expect a 5* ferry they really do the job! I've used them on many occasions and had great service every time
    Height isn't a problem and as they carry mostly HGV I don't think they'll even bother with the length so you'll get the car rate

Transeuropa Ferries
    Just been on their web site it's a pity they don't take animals.

John.

MOS Guest
    Bernie
    dont spread this around but DFDS check height with a sightline set on the booking office (i got got in my just too high merc )but never been pulled for length when ive fudged it a bit
    MOS
    ps midnight sailings are cheepest and you can pull streight into their carpark for the night when you arrive at dunkirk
    Likes N/A liked this post

steco1958 Guest
    Euro Tunnel for me, just booked a return for August, Motor Home 7.5m plus the boat 7m cost to me 11.00

That's right Eleven pounds

I know you have to shop at Tesco, but was already doing that, I save over 300 pounds per year with the tesco vouchers at Eurotunnel each year, that is much better than any other loyalty card in the supermarkets.

Steve

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information