CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Wildcamping How To Guide 2012

Watatoad Guest

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by mariesnowgoose View Post
    I'll take my chances

That's definitely one for the individual to make their own mind up about

I suppose if we're going to suggest ways that nervous wildcampers can protect themselves and their campervans while out and about they'll have to be within the law.

Technically, your campervan is your home on wheels. It seems to make sense to me that the same rules used for the protection of your bricks and mortar abode would apply.

Would I be correct?
    Not too sure about that as a disabled man a caravaner was arrested and successfully prosecuted earlier this year for having an offensive weapon a Swiss Army knife in his glove box - No not a locking one - just a small general purpose one - he said that he used it for peeling apples and when picnicking.

Not sure if I am aloud to add the link to the newspaper article but on the chance I am:

Disabled caravanner prosecuted for keeping penknife in his car to use on picnics | Mail Online

Watatoad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Davies View Post
    Superglue, great for the van and will save a life. I'd say most injuries we will see that cannot wait for an ambulance will be the same as those seen on a battlefield, therefore I carry a medic's kit on the bike not a pack of plasters!

A good point made I'll add one to the van when I finish building it....
    Just make certain it is medical quality superglue as some are very different.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autocruise Forte
    Quote Originally Posted by Watatoad View Post
    Not too sure about that as a disabled man a caravaner was arrested and successfully prosecuted earlier this year for having an offensive weapon a Swiss Army knife in his glove box - No not a locking one - just a small general purpose one - he said that he used it for peeling apples and when picnicking.

Not sure if I am aloud to add the link to the newspaper article but on the chance I am:

Disabled caravanner prosecuted for keeping penknife in his car to use on picnics | Mail Online
    The report in the paper does not mention the length of the blade on the knife, or what statute and section Knowles was charged under, but it does state categorically that he '...admitted possessing an offensive weapon at Torquay Magistrates Court' (my underlining), so it seems that he actually pleaded guilty.

His brief also said, '[Knowles] used the knife to cut up fruit on picnics with his wife [for whom he is a carer]', as if this was some sort of mitigation, and it appears that the magistrates accepted it as such because of the leniency of their sentence. However, had Knowles pleaded not guilty to the charge, this could have been offered as grounds for acquittal as he could maintain that he had 'lawful authority or reasonable excuse' for having the knife in his vehicle and it would have been up to the prosecution to rebut that by providing evidence to the contrary from the arresting officers (hard to do under the circumstances, I would have thought).

Frankly, I think Knowles was badly advised if his brief allowed him to plead guilty. On the other hand, if he had pleaded not guilty and the case went against him (as indeed it did), I think that he has solid grounds for appeal and that it would be successful given a half-decent brief.

In conclusion, this case should not be treated as a precedent (in fact, cases in the Magistrates' Courts never are).
    Likes N/A liked this post

BillyPants Guest
    I have a small lockknife. I keep it in my ruc sac with a torch, whistle, compass etc etc and I keep it for exactly the same reason: cutting fruit etc when up mountains. I hunted for weeks for the type, a serrated blade which slices through fruit etc with ease, but on simple contact does not cut skin. I was sick of cutting my own fingers! I'm not certain how he was prosecuted because I'm sure we're allowed anything up to a 4 inch blade.
    Personally I think the cops have been disappointed they waited all night and didn't get a drunk driver so they were determined to get him for something. Anything. Mind you, don't they have to have reasonable suspicion to search your vehicle?
    This whole thing doesn't sound quite right to me.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sold

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bailey Autograph 625
    If you are entitled to one.

Surely this is the sort of system, which if abused, will eventually be withdrawn.
    =^..^=

Asto Guest
    We do pay for them, and should the mainstream toilets be closed for whatever reason I would use a disabled one without feeling any guilt.
    Likes Tezza liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autocruise Forte
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyPants View Post
    I have a small lockknife. I keep it in my ruc sac with a torch, whistle, compass etc etc and I keep it for exactly the same reason: cutting fruit etc when up mountains.
    The legislation and case law which defines an 'offensive weapon' specifically excludes folding pocket knives with a blade not exceeding 75mm but specifically includes lock-knives as these are NOT 'folding pocket knives'.

Were I you, I would leave your lock-knife at home and carry a small folding pocket knife instead; after all, this is just as capable of peeling fruit as a lock-knife and has the benefit of not falling foul of the law.

cornishgail Guest

Help!! tablet/pad with sat nav.

Hi
    Is there such a thing?? I would like a sat nav on an I pad but will use only pay as you go not contract
    so.... do you need Wi-Fi to use a sat nav app and will it tell you where you are if not on Wi-Fi?
    getting really confused as I need to replace very old sat nav but want to combine it with an I pad....does that make sense?
    thanks
    gail

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B544
    Quote Originally Posted by cornishgail View Post
    Hi
    Is there such a thing?? I would like a sat nav on an I pad but will use only pay as you go not contract
    so.... do you need Wi-Fi to use a sat nav app and will it tell you where you are if not on Wi-Fi?
    getting really confused as I need to replace very old sat nav but want to combine it with an I pad....does that make sense?
    thanks
    gail
    Hi...yes you can download tomtom from the app store. I have tomtom europe. It cost about 80.00 i think , it takes 2 Gb of space but it does not need to be connected to 3G or wifi as the maps are all downloaded onto the ipad. I also use waze a lot but that does need a connection. hope this helps
    The less you want the more you live .

Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread Information