CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Most efficient fridge on the planet !!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowel View Post

I wonder whether insulation of fridges might be improved without altering the electrics and maybe providing the fridge radiator with a good direct supply of cool air from below the van may also increase efficiency?
    Going back to OP, there are a couple of things which make this no longer relevant and not so good for a van, back when the linked article was published it was comparing a inefficient US fridge with a freezer, since then and in europe the insulation of fridges (in some cases) has improved a great deal, so the operating power usage with door closed is pretty much the same, this leaves the only way it is more efficient being a top opening door, for a house with plenty of room this is ok, but in a limited space van this eats into space one way or other, either you have to leave space above door to allow it to open,or you use door as worktop and then have to clear it to open door.
    There is another option I suppose you could put fridge on casters and wheel it in and out of a space, but it doesn't make it easy to use.
    btw, we had a large top opening thermo electric fridge in old van, it was quite efficient, but we find the present front opening door much better in use.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Elddis Accordo
    Last edited by Fletch6; 26-08-2018 at 22:43.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist touring 55
    Better insulation will improve the performance of any fridge or freezer. Many liveaboard yachties build their own fridges with very serious insulation to reduce the power input. Reducing the duuty cycle down to 20% or less is possible compared to the 33% for ready made Dometic units. They all use compressor kits which are supplied by the likes of Dometic with 12 volt compressors. Not cheap but efficient and outperform any off the shelf unit. Whilst this is really not an option for factory built vans for self build it must be a real option. In hot climates absorption fridges need good ventilation but are hamstrung by the reality they can only cool to 30 degrees below ambient.

Edited to add some idea of the kits available. Most of the parts have self sealing connectors which means no nasty problems with refrigerant gas a much easier DIY solution

Refrigeration Units
    Last edited by maxi77; 20-04-2018 at 14:49.
    Likes channa liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    ford transit camper
    Continued quest:

I was researching the same problem here are 2 great videos which may help the decision and save money etc.
    the presenter is obviously attempting to promote an inventor but I do not think it interferes with the results.
    Enjoy
    Pho

Fridge Comparison Energy Consumption test with multiple fridge types in the leisure industry
    230V Fridge comparison test versus a 12V compressor fridge cost / benefit analysis

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    I've read that in several places, but it is utterly untrue. My gas fridge was in temperatures of 37 degrees last year, but the freezer was at -19. That is a 56 degree difference. It could manage better, if needed. It's down to how well it is installed.
    Ambients do play an important part with absorption fridges purely on the principal of how they work...But I agree with you the quality of installation is key. It figures adjacent to ovens direct sunlight they aren't going to do as well as other locations.

Irrefutable evidence again by how they work compressor units are more effective. that is no slur on absorption cycle fridges and in the main serve well

Channa

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    Compressor fridge works great for us, never seems to pull much power although only been in the uk this year with it, saying that we have had some 30 degree days although not many.

I think a lot will depend on what you have unless starting out from scratch as the costs of either are high. Ignore the horror stories you read about compressor fridges though they arenít true.
    Don't Worry, Be Happy

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Talbot Express
    Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Yes, a compressor fridge is far more efficient. But the power supply is far less efficient. 1KG of propane has 13KWh of power (plus the weight of the tank, of course). A battery with that much power storage capacity would weigh around 300KG.
    The problem for absorption fridges is that the hotter the weather, the more work they have to do, which produces even more heat.
    Unless the installation has been designed to dissipate that much heat, you can get into a form of thermal runaway, where it gets hotter and hotter behind the back of the fridge, making an impossible thermal hill to climb.
    Big, how the vents, good ducting and maybe fans all make it work, but motorhome makers like to cut corners and fit "good enough" setups.
    I installed a couple of 12v computer fans on the upper fridge vent and it's made a huge difference, currently S.France and fridge maintains 4-5c all day. They're also essential because if I keep my sliding door open this covers the fridge vents and pretty much stops it working.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Said by HD .... "Yes, a compressor fridge is far more efficient. But the power supply is far less efficient. 1KG of propane has 13KWh of power (plus the weight of the tank, of course). A battery with that much power storage capacity would weigh around 300KG."

But if "a compressor fridge is far more efficient" you wouldn't need "that much power storage capacity" would you?
    Fed up with the Whingers and Moaners. PMs Turned Off. Sayonara
    Likes Full Member liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    High roof doblo

Best fridge

I just read this long thread. Ignoring the tech which we may not understand, there are some quietly saying my compressor fridge works fine and others saying my 3 way fridge works but..... That is also my experience.
    Solar panels allow you to suck energy out of the environment most of the year, at a rate plenty high enough to run an efficient fridge, so i run my fridge with only one 85 amp hour battery. The comparative weight of gas to batteries is not relevant. I bet hairy dog has more batteries than me?
    Likes Nabsim liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Defleffs Summer
    My Dometic 3 way is sensitive to the mains voltage, it won't work below 200V

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information