CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: VW camper wilders

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post
    Funny, never noticed this thread before.

I changed my Swift Sundance 530LP for an Autosleeper Trooper - VW T4 - in November 2015. I love the van but it is really too small, even for just me and the dog, and I'm thinking it's time I upsized again.

Attachment 64049

And before anyone comments that I'm driving on the wrong side of the road - that photo was taken by a friend when I drove past her somewhere in France last year.
    Those Troopers are very nice Campers and hold their value brilliantly

I think the T4/T5 size Campers are great as a everyday Vehicle you can also go away in. But how families of 4 or 5 (usually plus a dog or two) manage I have never got my head around.
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit
    Likes Caz liked this post

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    Thanks Kayjay, hope you dont mind I have sent him the pics and your comments, may give him some fresh ideas as he was angling towards a small tent as well for him and missus to sleep in while little un was in the van. They could all 3 sleep in a layout like yours no worries
    Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Likes Kajay liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T6 LWB Conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    The main reason all the Campervan conversions you see at shows have a hob in them is that without the hob it is NOT a Campervan. It really is that simple. No Hob ... No classification as a "Motor Caravan" under DVLA/DVSA rules.
    (this reclassification rule was the only reason I fitted a little kitchen pod with single burner in my VW T4, but actually was handy for brewing up TBH).

both my T4 and T5 were standard low roof tin-tops and having a high roof LT now truly is much much better (IMO) I have to say. I did look at elevating roofs for headroom (rather then sleeping) purposes and the side-elevating was the one I nearly went for on the T4 (sort of like the one in the first photo in this post - VW camper wilders)
    Weíre not fussed about what itís classed as with DVLA. Itís still a camper van to us
    Likes mariesnowgoose liked this post

mariesnowgoose is offline Unreformed Mongoose
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: Neilyg

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Ford Legend Auto-Sleeper 1988 Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post
    Funny, never noticed this thread before.

I changed my Swift Sundance 530LP for an Autosleeper Trooper - VW T4 - in November 2015. I love the van but it is really too small, even for just me and the dog, and I'm thinking it's time I upsized again.

Attachment 64049

And before anyone comments that I'm driving on the wrong side of the road - that photo was taken by a friend when I drove past her somewhere in France last year.
    Caz, have you thought about a slightly bigger Autosleeper?

I do love them.

Unfortunately newer Autosleeper vans are a bit over our budget, but if you have the money you can pick up some pretty some decent ones second hand.
    Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    Marie

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master PVC
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajay View Post
    Weíre not fussed about what itís classed as with DVLA. Itís still a camper van to us
    I've also done that sort of camping, but all of the habitation gear was removable from the van.

The only problem I can foresee is if you ever have to make an insurance claim. Is it insured as a campervan?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master PVC
    ...having said that, I see that this firm offer day van insurance, which would probably cover your needs;

DIY - Self Build Campervan Insurance and Day Van Insurance

I've never heard of that before.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Robmac View Post
    I've also done that sort of camping, but all of the habitation gear was removable from the van.

The only problem I can foresee is if you ever have to make an insurance claim. Is it insured as a campervan?
    This is the thing ... You can have two identical vans, one is classified as a Motor Caravan, one is still a Panel Van, and in the even of an insurance claim writeoff, the Panel Van is worth whatever a basic panel van is worth, plus limited contents. But the Campervan is worth maybe twice as much or more plus the value of all the camping accoutrements. (plus Campervan Insurance is usually cheaper plus Campervans under 3.05t ULW are subject to car speeds, not commercial van speeds)

Why make life more difficult for yourself?
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    Quote Originally Posted by mariesnowgoose View Post
    Caz, have you thought about a slightly bigger Autosleeper?

I do love them.

Unfortunately newer Autosleeper vans are a bit over our budget, but if you have the money you can pick up some pretty some decent ones second hand.
    Yes I have thought about a bigger Autosleeper. Or an Adria, Wildaxe, Autocruise, Timberland, Devon and any other PVCs that spring to mind, in fact I think about them constantly! Most of the ones I really like are way beyond my budget and would be wasted on me with my hound who can wreck things without really trying, in fact because of him I don't want anything too new and shiny so am looking at quite old ones - but they tend to be smaller and not have the layouts I like.

I'll find something.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T6 LWB Conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by Robmac View Post

Hi, itís insured as a van with modifications. Iíve informed insurance of them all. Hubby bought it as panel van through his business for work. We already had another van that he continues to use for work. The mods are seating, cupboards, and diesel heater and poptop roof bed. No fitted gas or fridge. We wanted more storage and not having a fitted sink/cooker and fridge gave us that plus a more comfortable layout and second bed sofa bed that we can use if putting poptop up is not an option when overnight parking. We are only weekend campers, and daytrippers. Spur of moment stop overs if we find a nice spot. Cook outside in the fresh air or eat out.
    Likes Robmac liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T25 Syncro

from holland

I bought a VW T25 Syncro 16" almost five years ago and broke it during my first holiday. I was busy repairing it the last 5 years (on and off) and now we travel in it finally.

33750328_1754296017989929_5749158800548429824_n.jpg

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread Information