CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide to connecting to BT WiFi, FON and SFR-with-FON hotspots in France

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Carthago Compact Line

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
    This sounds like an ideal system for us, as we go to europe usually at least twice a year, and if it is a one off payment of 34 ish on the website, then worth the gamble.

I understand the system (I think) where you need to be registered to allow connection to other members fon boxes, so how does the ebay version work?
    It's the same box that you would buy direct from Fon. The advantage of the latest version is that you can just use it to extend your existing home wireless network. So you don't need to change your existing router and settings, it will just set itself up as a hotspot. Once it is working and you have registered with Fon then you will have access to their network. I'll update you when mine is delivered later ths week.

Dave

Polly Guest
    Hia

In built up areas yes but more remote in a field etc

But will not give up with it

Yes I have spoken to Andy and I am set up right
    I also have every step written/wrote down and also have had someone talk me through it and show me
    But hey ho

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Carthago Compact Line
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
    This sounds like an ideal system for us, as we go to europe usually at least twice a year, and if it is a one off payment of 34 ish on the website, then worth the gamble.

I understand the system (I think) where you need to be registered to allow connection to other members fon boxes, so how does the ebay version work?
    Update as promised, the "eBay" purchase arrived next day and worked straight out of the box. You simply login to the box from your computer to update its settings and as part of that process you register the box with Fon. The email address you select is then your password for logging into Fon hotspots. Fon send you an email to confirm the email address and once confirmed you are up and running. Exactly the same as buying the box from Fon.
    Dave

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Kontiki 640
    Polly. I think you have been unlucky as the UK and France are now awash with BT Openzone and SFR Fon hotspots. Sometimes in a field in the middle of nowhere of course your right, you may not get anything. I cannot go anywhere without an internet connection for very long so I tend to use Addies Directional Antenna if possible first with the laptop or if there is nothing then hopefully I can rely on my iPhone for emails at least or simple browsing. If abroad I use Opera Mini Browser on the iPhone with a Toggle Sim at 15p per MB. Opera compresses the data by up to 90%.

I have found the antenna superb though and it means in France for example I can often get online from an Aire or wild spot without seeking out a McDonalds etc. This is important for me as I might need to remote into a computer in the UK and work for a couple of hours so the McDonalds thing is not ideal.

One piece of Software I sometimes use for tuning in the antenna is INSSIDER which shows you the signal strength much more accurately than the Windows Wifi box. It can be a bit fiddely but moving the antenna around the van and watching the signal improve can mean the difference between getting online or not.

I think you can pretty much drive into any French or UK Town now though and lob the antenna out of the window and find a hotspot pretty quickly.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Frankia I650ED
    We aren't BT customers, I have been thinking of investing in a FON box to enable us to use the FON network on our travels. However we will be away for a year and of course cancelling our broadband. Can I just plug the box in to my parents' router (they are on Branson cable)?

Cheers
    Shaun

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Carthago Compact Line
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunr68 View Post
    We aren't BT customers, I have been thinking of investing in a FON box to enable us to use the FON network on our travels. However we will be away for a year and of course cancelling our broadband. Can I just plug the box in to my parents' router (they are on Branson cable)?

Cheers
    Shaun
    You can use any home address for the Fon box all you will need to ensure is that the Virgin router has a spare ethernet connection and then set it up from there. The email address you use to register the box is then your password to the Fon network abroad. Of course if your parents live in a highly populated area, the public access to the Fon hotspot you have created might be popular and any Internet traffic might count against their usage if they are on a limited account.
    Dave

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance 630G (X250 Maxi)

Does It work for you in France?

Has anyone had any success with using FON in France?

I have both BT, so fon is included AND a fonerera box and account. Last month I tried without luck logging onto SFR FON spots, I think I've done all reccommended by motorhomewifi but without luck.
    I use a personal wifi hotspot device in the van with a beam antenna and connect fine to BTFON in UK. But last month in france no luck and I'm of there again soon and would like it working.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dethleffs Globebus i8
    Just take a '3' dongle to France and log on as normal. Or even better and far less hassle, leave the the whole damn lot at home and go and make conversation with REAL people where ever you make your home for the night. That's what we did in Spain for 5 weeks earlier on in the summer and even though I conduct a lot of business in the UK and Australia over the internet, with some forward planning we didn't miss it one bit.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Carthago Compact Line
    Quote Originally Posted by yeoblade View Post

I have both BT, so fon is included AND a fonerera box and account. Last month I tried without luck logging onto SFR FON spots, I think I've done all reccommended by motorhomewifi but without luck.
    I use a personal wifi hotspot device in the van with a beam antenna and connect fine to BTFON in UK. But last month in france no luck and I'm of there again soon and would like it working.
    We have a Fonera (but no BT) with the same van setup. It worked ok with Fon hotspots last year in France. We are back out there next week, I'll try the SFR issue and let you know if it works for us.
    Dave

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by yeoblade View Post

I have managed with a similar set up as yourself and am passing through France next month so will relate my experience then. How far do you get in your attempt to connect?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information