CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guide to connecting to BT WiFi, FON and SFR-with-FON hotspots in France

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance 630G (X250 Maxi)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit View Post
    ....snip......... How far do you get in your attempt to connect?
    That's testing my memory , I believe the result, after entering user details and PW, was something like ' the system is unavailable , please try again later' which i did and constantly got the same message. i was only SFR FON spots I tried, maybe others will work or are easier to connect to

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance 630G (X250 Maxi)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Veterano View Post
    Just take a '3' dongle to France and log on as normal. Or even better and far less hassle, leave the the whole damn lot at home and go and make conversation with REAL people where ever you make your home for the night. That's what we did in Spain for 5 weeks earlier on in the summer and even though I conduct a lot of business in the UK and Australia over the internet, with some forward planning we didn't miss it one bit.
    Too late for a '3' dongle, need to be on line for 30 days before overseas included data is included, but have got Toggle which is great for voice/text.
    I DO talk to the locals, it's a nice rest from the missus , and if you have got google translate app on board it's a doddle with FON Wifi .

I need to keep in touch with my business emails and having wifi for your next destination search is really useful too.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dethleffs Globebus i8
    Quote Originally Posted by yeoblade View Post
    having wifi for your next destination search is really useful too.
    Nice one! And this last bit of your sentence is precisely why I contemplated all sorts of wizardry before we left. I had every POI known to man on my laptop, but in the end with sometimes dodgy connections in McD's and the like, it was just taking up too much time out of our hols. Fortunately I had the same POI's on my Garmin and that, in conjunction with 'All the Aires' books and a good map is how we got about with relative ease. Although I have to admit the 'Spain' version is pretty useless and for the majority of our time in Spain the over nights were coming from POI's from other sources like 'Do Your Dream'.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleepers Symbol campervan
    Why bother?,...... you're in a different country.......so do something different for Christ's sake!

Same goes for the wretched telly,..... chuck it out the window!....... as El Veterano recommends, talk to some real people.

If you must use the internet........go to MuckDonald's........have a coffee, you don't have to eat the filth.
    Britons were wild camping long before campsites, it's a basic human right.
    Likes Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hobby Van Exclusive
    Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit View Post
    A few years ago I tried to connect at the St Malo terminal which was provided by the local Chambers of Commerce. Log in required a mobile phone number in order to text password, as is at my local MacDs, but for some reason I never got a result. Lady on one of the ferry terminals said this was a frequent problem. Hopefully problem has been resolved as up the road at Oustreham terminal just a straight log in.
    The problem was (and may well still be) that the system only worked with French mobile numbers. When it failed with my UK mobile number (in national and international formats), I tried my French mobile number, which gave me access. I subsequently pointed out to Brittany Ferries that this was not much use to the vast majority of their customers (something like 85% IIRC) and suggested that they pursue it with the CCI, but as to whether they did so...
    Likes yeoblade liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Kontiki 640
    Quote Originally Posted by spigot View Post
    Why bother?,...... you're in a different country.......so do something different for Christ's sake!

Same goes for the wretched telly,..... chuck it out the window!....... as El Veterano recommends, talk to some real people.

If you must use the internet........go to MuckDonald's........have a coffee, you don't have to eat the filth.
    Having the internet in the van I think is as important as a Sat Nav. Its a fantastically useful tool. On our first Euro trip in 2009 we never had the internet and despite a bit of planning before we left we ping pong balled around Europe in a totally disorganised fashion and missed all sorts of gems that we later kicked ourselves over. I plan like mad before a trip but where the internet is useful is once you arrive at a destination you can start googling stuff that might be of interest in the local area, find aires or wild spots or even post on here or elsewhere for advice. Also useful if you get into bother, need to find a MH dealer, scooter shop etc. Apart from that I sometimes still work so if I can use the internet for that and make a few quid on the road.

Would be lost without it to be honest. I agree about the telly though, absolute crap. I Cant wait for the satellite to lose its signal

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    Quote Originally Posted by barryd View Post
    Having the internet in the van I think is as important as a Sat Nav. Its a fantastically useful tool. On our first Euro trip in 2009 we never had the internet and despite a bit of planning before we left we ping pong balled around Europe in a totally disorganised fashion and missed all sorts of gems that we later kicked ourselves over. I plan like mad before a trip but where the internet is useful is once you arrive at a destination you can start googling stuff that might be of interest in the local area, find aires or wild spots or even post on here or elsewhere for advice. Also useful if you get into bother, need to find a MH dealer, scooter shop etc. Apart from that I sometimes still work so if I can use the internet for that and make a few quid on the road.

Would be lost without it to be honest. I agree about the telly though, absolute crap. I Cant wait for the satellite to lose its signal
    A (so called) Mate gave me his FON login details in case of emergencies ... then he changed his password (or summat).

We now have a MIFI which usually does the business but something to fall back on is handy, especially with the long range wifi booster that I carry.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Kontiki 640
    Quote Originally Posted by maingate View Post
    A (so called) Mate gave me his FON login details in case of emergencies ... then he changed his password (or summat).

We now have a MIFI which usually does the business but something to fall back on is handy, especially with the long range wifi booster that I carry.
    Actually that "So called mate" didnt change the password, BT deleted the fecking account and now its one of my email addresses and the password I use for it is the same one for that email address so it would have to be changed again as Im not giving the fecker to you so you can read my dodgy incognito emails. When I figure out how to change it I might lend it to you (99.99)

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB
    I've noticed in the UK there are less BT-FON routers to connect to nowadays, my nearest nabours both had BT-FON, but since getting FTTP they no longer have FON routers.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    Quote Originally Posted by barryd View Post
    Actually that "So called mate" didnt change the password, BT deleted the fecking account and now its one of my email addresses and the password I use for it is the same one for that email address so it would have to be changed again as Im not giving the fecker to you so you can read my dodgy incognito emails. When I figure out how to change it I might lend it to you (99.99)
    I have been reading your emails for ages. I will not reveal any details to anyone (especially Michelle) .... ahem, as long as you cross my palm with Silver. About 1 Ton of it.
    Likes barryd liked this post

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information