CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Guide to connecting to BT WiFi, FON and SFR-with-FON hotspots in France

Member Number

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    With the availability of cheap mobile broadband 22 a month unlimited data on contract from 3 I,ve had 4g all around France for the last 6 weeks is it worth buying expensive Iboost aerials and then trying to find a wifi signal ?
    I,d just add that my contract includes a B311 router which has been working well of the vans 12v hab supply.
    Actually its so good I,ve cancelled my BT line at home
    Last edited by witzend; 03-07-2019 at 11:08.
    Likes Alf, alwaysared liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB
    Quote Originally Posted by witzend View Post
    With the availability of cheap mobile broadband 22 a month unlimited data on contract from 3 I,ve had 4g all around France for the last 6 weeks is it worth buying expensive Iboost aerials and then trying to find a wifi signal ?

I've got a cheap aerial off eBay, I see there's a similar one on there now for 12.19, works very well, but am considering a contract with higher data.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson flash 510
    I,d just add that my contract includes a B311 router which has been working well of the vans 12v hab supply.
    Are 3 now doing unlimited data abroad ? They weren't 6 weeks ago

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Kontiki 640
    Its a fair point now but its still a bit of a grey area abroad. Most have limits and more worryingly some have limits on how long you can use them abroad. Vodafone seem the most relaxed but they are renowned for changing the goal posts with very little if any notice. Nice to have both IMO. i will use the wifi antenna first and if I cant get logged on ill set up the phone as a hot spot but your right, its the way its all going. Lets hope we get to keep the free EU roaming though.

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by barryd View Post
    Its a fair point now but Lets hope we get to keep the free EU roaming though.
    Most mobile companys have already stated that roaming won,t be affected

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Kontiki 640
    Most mobile companys have already stated that roaming won,t be affected
    Have they? I think only two have said that. Some have said they "have no plans" to reintroduce charges but they have not ruled it out. It may be out of their hands anyway as European providers will simply pass on the charges to the UK providers who in turn will pass them onto us Mobile firms refuse to rule out return of roaming charges after Brexit

None of it is certain but I cant see how it will continue especially if we crash out with no deal. im keeping my iBoost!
    Likes TJBi liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Talbot Express
    Quote Originally Posted by barryd View Post
    Have they? I think only two have said that. Some have said they "have no plans" to reintroduce charges but they have not ruled it out. It may be out of their hands anyway as European providers will simply pass on the charges to the UK providers who in turn will pass them onto us Mobile firms refuse to rule out return of roaming charges after Brexit

None of it is certain but I cant see how it will continue especially if we crash out with no deal. im keeping my iBoost!
    Vodafone are in almost every European country and will therefore be best served to continue full EU roaming.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Talbot Express
    I've used mine something like twice in 2 years. It's pointless messing around searching for crap wifi when you can just buy 4g these days.
    Likes witzend liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    fiat-ducato ci carioca 694

mite

Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit View Post
    A few years ago I tried to connect at the St Malo terminal which was provided by the local Chambers of Commerce. Log in required a mobile phone number in order to text password, as is at my local MacDs, but for some reason I never got a result. Lady on one of the ferry terminals said this was a frequent problem. Hopefully problem has been resolved as up the road at Oustreham terminal just a straight log in.
    mite be something under bonnet with two legs ok pj

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance 630G (X250 Maxi)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoTTyBEEE View Post
    I've used mine something like twice in 2 years. It's pointless messing around searching for crap wifi when you can just buy 4g these days.
    Yes, But I was in Wales last week with no mobile Data signal, out of frustration I got out the WiFi booster and beam aerial (not used for a year) and found BT Fon signals with good connection speed, this happened at 2 locations!
    Never had any luck with BT fon in France
    Swift 630G
    in the boot
    Likes ScoTTyBEEE liked this post

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information