Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide to connecting to BT WiFi, FON and SFR-with-FON hotspots in France

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Adria Twin

Guide to connecting to BT WiFi, FON and SFR-with-FON hotspots in France

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hi all,

With so many posts on here about WiFi I wanted to contribute by writing an updated guide on our blog which covers the main points of interest about the free FON scheme. I know that some BT Broadband customers have struggled to get online when in Europe but included in the post is a verified fix which once completed can see your BT login credentials finally being accepted abroad.

If you've heard of FON you'll probably know it's a large network of free co-operative WiFi hotspots across the UK and Europe. The network has grown to almost 13,000,000 hotspots now available to members, with Greece recently added in the form of telecoms provider OTE. If you're a BT Broadband customer you will already get access as part of your package, but if you're not you can still join for a one off charge of 34 by sharing a little of your home broadband using a FON Box.

With a WiFi booster you greatly increase your chance of being able to locate and connect to a FON hotspot, hence why we continue to recommend FON. While experience varies, on the whole people have great reports for getting online in France through SFR. However this information is relevant to everyone regardless of what device you may own.

The Definitive Guide to FON and BT WiFi

I hope this information is of use to fellow Wild Campers

Adam
    Thanks peter palance thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dethleffs Globebus i8
    Quote Originally Posted by Addie View Post
    Hi all,

With so many posts on here about WiFi I wanted to contribute by writing an updated guide on our blog which covers the main points of interest about the free FON scheme. I know that some BT Broadband customers have struggled to get online when in Europe but included in the post is a verified fix which once completed can see your BT login credentials finally being accepted abroad.

If you've heard of FON you'll probably know it's a large network of free co-operative WiFi hotspots across the UK and Europe. The network has grown to almost 13,000,000 hotspots now available to members, with Greece recently added in the form of telecoms provider OTE. If you're a BT Broadband customer you will already get access as part of your package, but if you're not you can still join for a one off charge of 34 by sharing a little of your home broadband using a FON Box.

With a WiFi booster you greatly increase your chance of being able to locate and connect to a FON hotspot, hence why we continue to recommend FON. While experience varies, on the whole people have great reports for getting online in France through SFR. However this information is relevant to everyone regardless of what device you may own.

The Definitive Guide to FON and BT WiFi

I hope this information is of use to fellow Wild Campers

Adam
    A useful and informative post, but isn't it cheaper and far less hassle just to sit in McDo's or Flaunch etc with a cup of coffee............

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Carthago Compact Line
    Quote Originally Posted by El Veterano View Post
    A useful and informative post, but isn't it cheaper and far less hassle just to sit in McDo's or Flaunch etc with a cup of coffee............
    Both offer good opportunities but we have found that Adam's advice is certainly true in France last year where we could have had many more connection options had we been able to use the Fon network. I suppose it all depends on how often you need to be online. We are not BT customers at home so will be investing in a Fon box before we set off this year. Cheapest at the moment is on eBay at 29 including postage, unless Adam has any voucher codes.

Fonera Simpl 2405A Public WiFi 802.11n Router | eBay

Dave
    Thanks peter palance thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    swift kontiki 640
    Quote Originally Posted by El Veterano View Post
    or the pub

Beemer is offline Full Member
    Name: Dave
    Spouse: Christine

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Eura Mobil Practica 690
    Quote Originally Posted by Val54 View Post
    Both offer good opportunities but we have found that Adam's advice is certainly true in France last year where we could have had many more connection options had we been able to use the Fon network. I suppose it all depends on how often you need to be online. We are not BT customers at home so will be investing in a Fon box before we set off this year. Cheapest at the moment is on eBay at 29 including postage, unless Adam has any voucher codes.

Fonera Simpl 2405A Public WiFi 802.11n Router | eBay

Dave
    This sounds like an ideal system for us, as we go to europe usually at least twice a year, and if it is a one off payment of 34 ish on the website, then worth the gamble.

I understand the system (I think) where you need to be registered to allow connection to other members fon boxes, so how does the ebay version work?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bailey Approach Compact
    Thanks for this - I have the i Boost system and find it invaluable when touring. Had issues with BT WiFi in Holland last year but will follow your instructions in France and hope we get "logged in"

Polly Guest
    Hia

I purchased a booster from the motorhome show at Cheshire last year costing 150? Then I purchased a Fon for 34?

And I feel I have not well defiantly not had my monies worth in Britian

I have not been able to find hot spots
    Well I have when at home gone round the corner in my car and picked up a Fon but I didn't need my booster.
    When in the m/h using the booster I have picked up other users but they are locked

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bailey Approach Compact
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Hia

I purchased a booster from the motorhome show at Cheshire last year costing 150? Then I purchased a Fon for 34?

Well I have when at home gone round the corner in my car and picked up a Fon but I didn't need my booster.
    When in the m/h using the booster I have picked up other users but they are locked
    I had similar problems to begin with but turns out I wasn't logging in properly. Give Adam a call, he'll talk you through it & I'm sure you'll be ok. His number is on the info sheet he's posted, and on the instruction booklet that comes with the kit.

Member Number

A few years ago I tried to connect at the St Malo terminal which was provided by the local Chambers of Commerce. Log in required a mobile phone number in order to text password, as is at my local MacDs, but for some reason I never got a result. Lady on one of the ferry terminals said this was a frequent problem. Hopefully problem has been resolved as up the road at Oustreham terminal just a straight log in.

lebesset Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Hia

I don't understand this ...as a long term fonero [ something under 20,000 when they are up to 12 million or so ] I find the uk wall to wall with FON spots , mainly BTFON thanks to BT's market share !

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information