CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Thread: New to the site! seriously wanting to get a van, need advice!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    none

New to the site! seriously wanting to get a van, need advice!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hi,

Ive been wanting to live in a van/conversion camper for a good while now and have been doing some research and came upon this amazing forum!

Im 26 and have a normal B class drivers license, does anybody know what is the biggest van/camper i can drive legally?

I love my DIY so im not scared of a good project!

In an ideal world id like a mercades 609d but i think thats a bit big to start off with.

The size of the van would need to sleep me full time and my son occasionally and also be good for holding two bicyles, plus all the obious stuff, im not fussed on a double bed either!

Any suggestions on vans would be greatly appreciatted!

Thanks!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    Your licence restricts you to a vehicle with maximum gross weight of 3,500 Kgs. I think this puts the Mercedes 609D out of your range, but a LWB Sprinter or a Jumbo Hitop Transit would be possible.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    motorhome
    Welcome to the forum.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Rapido Le Randonneur 763F

Hi

Hi and welcome to the forum, we bought a 17 seated mini bus Peugeot boxer and turned it into a camper though I feel if your going to live in it you may need a more professional finish than my budget job has but good luck and have fun.

MikeH Guest
    Would you like to take a look at my Citroen Relay 1.9 SWB self converted camper? I did it about 5 years ago and its been well used so looking a bit tatty now but still as practical as ever.

I`m located not far from you.

wtrlnds64 Guest

Hello...

We have a long wheel base Peugeot, but I wouldn't want to live in it full time...I believe the XXL is about a metre longer and this would probably give you enough room for full time living...but they are quite new and so would be pretty pricey...visit lots of dealers to get a feel for the layout that would suit you...I didn't want to make up the bed every night so we have a fixed one...and it's been an expensive lesson with 3 vans in 2 years to find the right one for us...so spend some time taking good a look around...good luck in whatever you choose...

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Self-build
    They all have their pros and cons.

Best just give a bunch a drive and pick one in good condition

Byronic Guest
    If you're after a van conversion similar in construction to the MB 609d then the Iveco is worth considering. The 3500Kg versions in your case of course.
    They have a separate steel chassis and highish floor, allowing easy fitment of tanks or rear mounted motor scooter rack etc, plus rear wheel drive (possibly twin wheel), in other words adaptability, because one thing is certain you'll want to change or add something sooner or later, and adapting the van could be cheaper than changing the van!!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Carthago Chic C-Line 4.9
    Hi and welcome to the site, hope u find the van your after.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    none

thank you!

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice the lwb sprinter looks great! ive heard a lot of good things about sprinters so far and the iveco also looks like a great size!
    The citreon Relay looks a bit on the small side for what i want but thanks for the offer mikeH!

My budget to start off with will be low about 2000 and obviously i dont want to spend it all on buying just the van. so im probably gonna have to shop around and have a good luck on ebay!

Thanks agian everybody

Thread Information