CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mobile wifi

Member Number
    Motorhome
    transit self build

mobile wifi

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I hope some more knowledgeable than me can help. Does a mobile unit (router/ extender) preferable 12v exist that I can plug in a directional antenna to provide a hotspot to connect ipad and mobile phones too. I am looking to connect using my BT fon option, but cannot directly attach an antenna directly to my ipad mini.... or can I???

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Tribute715 motorhome

mikel46

Most operators sell a cheap little box which will provide a hotspot if there is a phone signal. They are all rechargeable via usb type connector and will give 3g or 4g depending on location. I have an ee box available through various sites which gives me connection to which I can wirelessly connect in the vehicle. Have tried an booster box for picking up other signals through its own aerial without much success in the past.

Member Number
    Hi I've been thinking along the lines of this or something similar but would like to hear from some one using one

3 Mobile Booster:UK 3 Mobile Booster

Member Number
    Motorhome
    transit self build
    Quote Originally Posted by mikel46 View Post
    Most operators sell a cheap little box which will provide a hotspot if there is a phone signal. They are all rechargeable via usb type connector and will give 3g or 4g depending on location. I have an ee box available through various sites which gives me connection to which I can wirelessly connect in the vehicle. Have tried an booster box for picking up other signals through its own aerial without much success in the past.
    Hi, I am not looking to connect to a phone signal, I am looking to connect to hotspots and free access such as McDonalds etc

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer 584 Classic
    I use a iBoost Pro D8 Directional System but it costs 160, there are identical units available but a lot cheaper, (there is a thread on here somewhere) it picks up FON signals from long way away if the conditions are right

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist touring 55
    I use one of these with a cheap ebay directional wifi aerial. It runs of 12 volts and works great for me. You have to be carefull about the chipset in the aerial but they are easy to find. Solwise do an various aerialsto match the box but a bit more expensive than ebay.

Solwise - USB to Wireless Repeater Access Point - WL-USBWIFIRPT-3000

Solwise are in Hessle and will post to Europe at acceptable prices

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hobby Van Exclusive
    Quote Originally Posted by derathe View Post
    Hi, I am not looking to connect to a phone signal, I am looking to connect to hotspots and free access such as McDonalds etc
    So not mobile!

Like tezza33, I have an iBoost Pro D8 and have found it extremely useful, connecting principally to SFR FON Wi-Fi in France. You can connect several devices wirelessly at the same time, so ideal for tablets and mobile phones.

Tom

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer 584 Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by TJBi View Post
    So not mobile!

Like tezza33, I have an iBoost Pro D8 and have found it extremely useful, connecting principally to SFR FON Wi-Fi in France. You can connect several devices wirelessly at the same time, so ideal for tablets and mobile phones.

Tom
    I had a problem last time in France because I couldn't connect but Tom (TJBi) reminded me and I have now sorted it, when you find a signal it tells you how far away it is, I connected to a FON signal 6km away a couple of days ago and spoke to Maggy on skype, she was only 20 yds away in the house but the internet doesn't know that, I could have opened the van door and shouted to be honest but this was to set up the router/booster, shame I had to spoil it by talking to SWMBO

Member Number
    Motorhome
    transit self build
    Quote Originally Posted by TJBi View Post
    So not mobile!

Tom
    yes, mobile, whilst in the van rather than mobile phone... but thanks to all who replied as I know have the info I was looking for and will soon be trying it out

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance 630G (X250)
    See this thread Wifi on the road - antenna rebro

I use the Solwise wifi transmitter to my mobile devices & beam antenna to pick up FON
    Swift 630G
    in the boot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information