CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aberystwyth Experimental (Motorhome and Caravan) Ban to be extended

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer S700 (1992)

Aberystwyth Experimental (Motorhome and Caravan) Ban to be extended

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I received this email dated 31st August.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TDJ/LZ/T2401/665201

Dear Mr Thompson

Further to your objection to the Experimental Traffic Order introduced in April 2015 prohibiting overnight parking by motorhomes and caravans on sections of Aberystwyth sea front, I am contacting you again to inform you of the following. Ceredigion County Council has decided to extend this Experimental Order for a further period of 18 months from the 29 August 2016. The reason for this is because a new retail development is scheduled to open in Aberystwyth shortly. This development includes a multi-storey car park with capacity for over 500 vehicles. The Authority therefore wishes to assess the impact this new development will have on parking in Aberystwyth once it has opened, including on the seafront, and then consider its options.

Objections to the extension of the Order, stating reasons in writing, are to be sent to Legal Services, Neuadd Cyngor Ceredigion, Penmorfa, Aberaeron, Ceredigion, SA46 0PA, or may be submitted via email to technical.services@ceredigion.gov.uk to be received by 01/03/2017. If you believe this Order is invalid because it does not comply with legal requirements, you can apply to the High Court by 03/10/2016. Please also note that all objections received when the Experimental Order was first introduced in April 2015 will be fully taken into consideration when this authority considers whether to amend, revoke or make permanent the extension to this Order.

In the meantime, if you require any further information relating to this matter, please contact my Senior Engineer Traffic Management Mr Tom Delph-Janiurek on 01545 572410 or via technical.services@ceredigion.gov.uk

Yours sincerely

Tom Delph-Janiurek
    Senior Engineer Traffic Management
    For Mr Paul Arnold
    Head of Technical Services

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The ban was to prevent overstaying. Could the new parking provision create space for Motorhomes to park in the existing car parks overnight?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500
    I have yet to find a multi storey car park which has enough head room for vans - or have I misunderstood your comment ?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Quote Originally Posted by delicagirl View Post
    I have yet to find a multi storey car park which has enough head room for vans - or have I misunderstood your comment ?
    Exactly. I find it strange that with the construction of a new retail development, alienating customers from day 1 a tad strange. Congestion is a possible issue, but I fail to see how banning motorhomes will allieviate any problem

Channa

Member Number
    Is he seriously saying a multi storey car park will reduce the demand for sea front parking?Surely the point is people want to park on the front for the view/convenience and wont park in the multi storey till the front parking is all taken.

r4dent is offline Mostly Harmless
    Name: Pete
    Spouse: Liza

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bailey Approach

Below is the email that I have sent. why don't YOU object!

To technical.services@ceredigion.gov.uk

Subject Objection to - Prohibiting overnight parking by motorhomes and caravans on sections of Aberystwyth sea front.

I wish to place on record my objection to the 18 month extension to the Experimental Traffic Order introduced in April 2015 prohibiting overnight parking by motorhomes and caravans on sections of Aberystwyth sea front.

I note that Mr Tom Delph-Janiurek, on behalf of Mr Paul Arnold, gives the reason for the extension has being that a new retail development incorporating a multi-storey car park with capacity for over 500 vehicles is scheduled to open in Aberystwyth shortly and that the Authority therefore wishes to assess the impact this new development will have on parking in Aberystwyth including on the seafront, and then consider its options.

My objection is because:-
    1) Deliberately restricting the overnight parking by motorhomes and caravans will mean any data used to assess the impact will be invalid. It will be based on demand which has been intentionally constrained.
    To gain a true impact assessment the prohibition should be removed with immediate effect.

2) The additional multi-storey parking is irreverent to parking by Motorhomes and Caravans because height restrictions will mean it is not suitable for these vehicles.

3) The Ban is on Overnight parking, use of the new facility will be mainly daytime and possibly early evening.
    To use the latter to justify the former is illogical.

Whilst the prohibition remains Aberystwyth is being denied a significant tourist based revenue stream.

I do not know why Aberystwyth is seeking to exclude a tourist sector which is predominately mature and affluent.
    My wife and I were regular visitors to Aberystwyth, but we have not been since the ban was introduced and will not return until it is lifted.

Pexxxx xxxxr
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Southport

Please acknowledge receipt of this email, and keep me informed of the matter's progress
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer S700 (1992)
    Quote Originally Posted by delicagirl View Post
    In previous correspondence with the authority there was identified a surface car park that it was possible to park unattended motorhomes in overnight. The authority would not commit itself to extending this use to day time as they stated it could mean the vehicle could be blocking parking for other vehicles. We (The Motorhome Tourism Organisation now defunct) were pressing for overnight occupancy to be allowed in this car park.

If the multi storey was to take some pressure off this surface car park then it could be possible to allow motorhome use.

The main problem was the number of vans parking for extended periods along the seafront and blocking access. It was two prominent business owners who had influenced the council, backed by some local residents (hotel keepers), that brought about the original experimental order which is proposed to be extended. They had a FB page but blocked users with descending comments.
    Those staying in the vans were reported to be former residents and students who could no longer pay the high rents being charged for accommodation, not just tourists.
    Last edited by John Thompson; 03-09-2016 at 16:48.

pughed2 Guest

motorhome parking

Congratulations you people for taking these authorities on in writing etc. For the rest of us you can basically get at them with your wallet. Where there just may not be any space to wild in the motorhome, or where the local authority does manage to ban it (very very rare in my experience, only a few places moved on in 3 full time wilding years), just move on, (or go out of season and try), and make sure you do all local purchasing elsewhere............just examined the main Pier Street car park at Burnham on Sea, yes, ridiculous `no overnight` parking signs, covering the special motorhome bays (I suppose you could drive around town at 0100 and go back), but there is plenty of useful space in side roads at the rear of town..........(where I am currently availing myself)............steve Bristol

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer Exsis t-588
    This just highlights this country's attitude to our sector of a massive tourist industry. Yet again we are excluded after investing thousands in our chosen products and herded into sites who's owners have a vested interst in protecting their investment. Go abroad, the weather is better, you'll be welcomed and you can stop almost anywhere, and it's cheaper to live.
    Bd..

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mercedes 614d
    "2) The additional multi-storey parking is irreverent to parking by Motorhomes and Caravans because height restrictions will mean it is not suitable for these vehicles."

Should be "irrelevant".

Peter
    Email: diesel@easynet.co.uk Web: http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk

Member Number
    Motorhome
    33ft Chevrolet/Allegro Bay 6.5L TD Auto
    If this town does not want motorhomes or their knock-on trade, just go somewhere else. I suggest there are many other choices to pick. It is my view that in time councils will gain appreciation for the fact that motor homers are not part of the travelling community and are in fact a potential source of custom and revenue for the town. I was speaking to a member of the public the other day who responded to my "good morning", he assumed I was a traveller. I explained to him, that I was a director of a successful company, and that as an escape from my drudgery and stresses of that world, I chose to spend a large lump of money and get away from it all, if only for the weekend. My family and I have had many adventures and great memories made through this simple pursuit. I have also experienced the petty minded bigots and aggressive jobsworth parking attendant who stopped just short of jabbing a finger on my chest! I generally don't rise to any provocation. I keep in the back of my mind the fact, I am here to enjoy myself, I have paid a pittance (or free) for parking, if I get caught for a fine it would cost me similar money to the campsite charges. The last fine was 34 at Brixham in Devon for being outside the lines. I was annoyed about the ticket at the time because I was asked to use these spaces, by the attendant to free up coach bays. I have become cynical now and less helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information