CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should i sorn my car while away?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Citroen Relay swb

Should i sorn my car while away?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Some advice please. I'm going away on the 20th January for 2 to 3 months. The MOT on my car expires on Feb 6th. I pay my road tax monthly by dd. Is it worth sorning it and getting the MOT when I'm back or is it not worth the bother? It's a VW Golf so tax is probably 15 a month and I'd lose 3 months of my MOT. what do others do?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dethleffs Globebus i8
    SORN it. It only takes a couple of minutes online. Don't give the tax man a penny more than you need to.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hobby tuskana exclusive gelc
    I always Sorn my car but remember you cancel the tax from the day you contact Dvla. So make a plan so you don't waste a whole months tax. Then retax at the beginning of a month when you return and make an appointment for the Mot at a garage so you can take the car on the road legally to re test it. Hope that makes sense?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    PEUGEOT EXPERT STEALTH /'95 RENAULT MASTER AMBULANCE
    Quote Originally Posted by carol View Post
    Some advice please. I'm going away on the 20th January for 2 to 3 months. The MOT on my car expires on Feb 6th. I pay my road tax monthly by dd. Is it worth sorning it and getting the MOT when I'm back or is it not worth the bother? It's a VW Golf so tax is probably 15 a month and I'd lose 3 months of my MOT. what do others do?
    SORN it matey cos you just know the man will screw you if you don't! Only takes seconds online then your mind's at peace for your travels. Enjoy the experience without burdening yourself with worry.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

Very good advice

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff1950 View Post
    I always Sorn my car but remember you cancel the tax from the day you contact Dvla. So make a plan so you don't waste a whole months tax. Then retax at the beginning of a month when you return and make an appointment for the Mot at a garage so you can take the car on the road legally to re test it. Hope that makes sense?
    SORN it

Or get a SORN AWF shotgun !

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Motorhome (aka The Nest)
    Hi ya,
    That's inconvenient timing for MOT vs Trip isn't it,
    If you can Park it suitably, & accept that it probably won't be insured as a result, Then Yep SORN it. & sort it out on your return. Would be my view.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Sprinter
    I'd probably soon it too.

When you return, I'm sure I am right in saying you'll have to get it MOT'd before you tax it.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    If the car is being kept on a public road it NEEDS to be taxed. no exceptions.

If it is on private land then SORN. There are provisions under the road traffic act that upon your return you can visit a test station for MOT and leave if necessary to an appropriate place of repair. 9( the test needs to be pre booked)

Your insurance you need to keep going, two reasons. Firstly you have an insurable interest , secondly if you were to cancel odds are you will lose money.

What may be worth doing is contacting them telling them where the vehicle is parked and you are going away. That is material fact which gives them opportunity to continue or withdraw cover.

Channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Motorhome (aka The Nest)
    Could be Mistaken, But if you're going to keep your Vehicle insurance going as Channa suggested, Check that it covers you on PRIVATE OFF ROAD conditions that's going to be required to be met if you SORN it. Some may not so it's worth a call.
    Last edited by Nesting Zombie; 02-01-2017 at 13:59.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Citroen Relay swb
    Thanks for the advice. My car would normally be on the road but if I SORN it, it will be off road.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information