CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparing the van for a long trip

Member Number:

Preparing the van for a long trip

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Apologies to all the other women on the forum who are knowledgable and practical when it comes to stuff like this! Before I went away in March I had a full service which ended up costing me 260. It's less than a year so I don't suppose I need another service. However, I think I'd feel better knowing the van had been looked over or should I save money and just do it myself? In that case, apart from the obvious (fluids and tyres) is there anything I need to do? Yes, I know, put some fuel in! Sorry for the blonde question!

Member Number:
    Quote Originally Posted by carol View Post
    Apologies to all the other women on the forum who are knowledgable and practical when it comes to stuff like this! Before I went away in March I had a full service which ended up costing me 260. It's less than a year so I don't suppose I need another service. However, I think I'd feel better knowing the van had been looked over or should I save money and just do it myself? In that case, apart from the obvious (fluids and tyres) is there anything I need to do? Yes, I know, put some fuel in! Sorry for the blonde question!
    Depends what happened when you where last serviced but I would recommend an oil and filter change.

Richard
    Likes - IanH liked this post

Member Number:
    Maidenhead (summer) and Thailand (winter)

Worth making sure

Quote Originally Posted by carol View Post
    You probably do not need a full service..
    It really depends on the mileage you have done since the last service.

Many garages offer an "intermediate service" which is what you need (i Think).
    It is always worth changing the oil and apart from the items you mention
    Tyres pressures
    Tyres tread
    Tyres sidewall
    Brakes how much life in the brake pads

So maybe 150 check Mr Clutch for their services but not all depots can deal with MH

What about MOT...... I like garages that do MOT then service !

Member Number:
    Not sure how many miles but a few thousand round France and Spain plus meets and trip to Skye. The MOT isn't due until June. The last service included brake work and I've recently had a new clutch.

Member Number:
    When I bought our van the dealer recommended a service every 2 years because of the relatively low mileage of a motorhome.I have ours serviced every year at MOT time,probably unnecessary with my 5-6000 miles pa but that's just me being over cautious.

I would do exactly the same as you before a long trip paying particular attention to the tyre side walls and the date of manufacture.The only other thing I would check is the date of the last cam belt change.
    cheers,Steve

Member Number:
    I've had that done too!

Member Number:
    I'd go by whatever miles you've done and whatever the service interval is for your van, no harm in having an oil change early, unless your happy to have it done while away.
    Likes - big tom liked this post
    Thanks - carol Thanked this person

Member Number:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbear View Post
    Depends what happened when you where last serviced but I would recommend an oil and filter change.

Richard
    deffo on that, don't forget the spare, check it can be removed and is serviceable. 260 should be for big service next should be cheaper short service .
    Likes - carol liked this post

Member Number:
    For me oil and filter change never a bad idea oil degrades with time, check coolant levels , tyre pressures and ready to go..... habitation wise everything works and a plan for gas if you need it ...

Channa
    Likes - carol liked this post

Member Number:
    In no particular order:-

Check tyre age from code on sidewall.......google that. If over 5 yrs, change tyres irrespective of wear or condition. You REALLY don't want to be changing a wheel on a wet midnight on a French motorway!

If you don't know otherwise, change the cambelt, if you do, then halve the recommended life in the manual. In a MH the engine is rarely used, compared, say, to white van man. Some of the cambelt is stationary, and bent, over the various pulleys poss for months on end. Broken cambelt = new engine or most of it = vehicle write off for most of us.

Fit at least a 100w solar panel and a dual battery charger. Once done, both of your batteries will always be full and in the best possible condition

Change the oil and filter, we do ours every year, circa 5000miles in our ancient Renault. Even if the service book says lots more miles, remember your's isn't white van man and the oil will be sitting in an oily puddle in the sump for months on end, soaking up water, acid, and any other cr8p already in the sump.

Your MOT cert will tell you the miles since the last one, btw

Check the tyre pressures (carry a 12v compressor) a lot more than I bet you currently do!
    Last edited by IanH; 07-01-2017 at 14:09.
    Likes - jagmanx, hairydog liked this post
    Thanks - carol Thanked this person

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information