CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre wired for radio

Member Number
    Motorhome
    none

Pre wired for radio

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Help, I've bought a new motorhome and I never noticed until after I paid the deposit that there wasn't a radio fitted. The annoying thing is, I told the dealer I was over my budget and didn't want there to be any hidden extras. Anyway, he has now sent me a choice of 2 radios, jvc or kenwood, both valued at under £100,, But he wants £295.00 plus Vat. How can it cost over £200 to fit a radio to a pre wired motor?. I feel like I'm getting a little shafted here, anyone with any advice?.
    Mickey.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Land Rover Defender XD130 Pulse Ambulance conversion (ex MOD/NATO)
    As it's prewired, it should be simply a matter of plugging in connector blocks at the rear of the radio, but you might need to buy cable/s specific to your vehicle (even Halfords sell them!). Has your new vehicle got speakers already fitted? If not, that's probably where most of the fitting cost goes, but again, they are not at all difficult to fit as they tend to be standard fitting, and adaptors are available if needed.
    If I was in your position, I'd definitely look at self fitting and other dealer options.
    Last edited by Steve121; 11-01-2017 at 09:29. Reason: Added hyperlink

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master PVC
    Quote Originally Posted by mikigough View Post
    Help, I've bought a new motorhome and I never noticed until after I paid the deposit that there wasn't a radio fitted. The annoying thing is, I told the dealer I was over my budget and didn't want there to be any hidden extras. Anyway, he has now sent me a choice of 2 radios, jvc or kenwood, both valued at under £100,, But he wants £295.00 plus Vat. How can it cost over £200 to fit a radio to a pre wired motor?. I feel like I'm getting a little shafted here, anyone with any advice?.
    Mickey.
    Probably not what you want to hear, but you may not have a leg to stand on. I do agree that they are being a bit unreasonable.

Although most would agree that a radio is a standard fitting, I presume you agreed a spec, and that spec may not have included a radio!

I would get one fitted privately by an auto electrician. My last van's radio was kaput when I bought it. I had a decent Blaupunkt at home and payed an Auto electrician £60 to fit it.
    God bless Colonel Sanders. Marvellous man!

Member Number
    What's the base vehicle.... if it's a chassis cab then the likelihood is that the plugs will already be behind the dash.... as above even if it's not on din style plugs adapters are available from halfrauds for around a tenner.
    I certainly wouldn't be paying £300 for a radio and fitting.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner Delphin Performance T821
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve121 View Post
    As it's prewired, it should be simply a matter of plugging in connector blocks at the rear of the radio, but you might need to buy cable/s specific to your vehicle (even Halfords sell them!). Has your new vehicle got speakers already fitted? If not, that's probably where most of the fitting cost goes, but again, they are not at all difficult to fit as they tend to be standard fitting, and adaptors are available if needed.
    If I was in your position, I'd definitely look at self fitting and other dealer options.
    I needed to replace a car radio some time ago. I bought one on offer at Halfords and needed some extra wiring connectors. The Halfords guy showed me them on the computer but told me I could get them much cheaper elsewhere. He wrote down the details for me and I got them at a local car audio shop for less than half the price.
    My dream job is to be a sound engineer. I don't know why, I just want to - want to.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    none
    Thanks for the replies, I suppose what I really want to know is (1) Does pre wired mean there are speakers fitted?. (2) would you pay that amount?. I don't pick the van up until march, it's a fiat/chausson.
    Mickey.

Member Number
    If the van is brand new get the dealer to fit it otherwise you might have trouble under the warranty.

This is the story of fitting a radio to a basic Dacia,

ICE and easy? Sort of... | Our Cars | Honest John

And no there were no fitted speakers, the door trims/door cards have to come off

Member Number
    Worth a looksy on here maybe .....

Chassis - Chausson

Fiat is still THE reference brand on the motorhome market and the reliability of the Ducato is well established.

For service, you benefit from 1,800 specialized “Fiat Camper Assistance”workshops in Europe and 24/7 phone assistance.
    The Fiat equipment chosen by Chausson has everything you need to broaden your horizons with optimal comfort and full safety.

Motorhome chassis with a lowered center of gravity for easier access.
    The wide rear track for greater road stability and more room inside.
    – Driver’s airbag,
    – braking assistance (ABS): an anti-lock system that keeps wheels from blocking when brakes are applied intensively,
    – anti-slipping (ASR): a system that regulates acceleration to keep the driving wheels from losing traction,
    – six-speed gearbox (except 115 HP).
    Very comfortable “Captain’s chair” seats: these new Fiat seats have a built-in headrest, a wider back, better lateral support, two armrests and a seated position that’s more comfortable than ever.
    They are height- and angle-adjustable as a standard feature.
    Pre-equipped for cab radio and loudspeakers,
    – electrically controlled windows,
    – central bottle-carrier console with a cell phone compartment.
    Central locking of cab doors.
    Radio antenna built into rear-view mirror.
    – Hubcaps on wheels,
    – tire repair kit.

I'd read that as, the wiring being there but no radio/speakers....

Probably what you'd expect as no doubt fiat provide the chassis cab units as a basic commercial spec unless ordered otherwise???

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Why not buy one from china ebay with sd usb and remote control at £15/25 free post they are brill,tell him to stuff his 200 buck radio where the sun dont shine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson flash 510
    Quote Originally Posted by mikigough View Post
    Mickey.
    First van had a cassette player which i replaced with radio/cd player from Halfords . Bought a brand new van [part exchange] from Brownhills when I went to collect it I discovered there was no radio or spare wheel . Went to my old van and started to remove radio and spare wheel . Salesman [decent guy , don't think he's there now] saw what I was doing and arranged for new radio and spare wheel .
    May not be possible for you to fight this now [as Robmac[?] says] but I wouldn't give them a penny . You will get decent radio fitted for a lot less than they are quoting .
    Really bugs me when somebody is spending a small fortune on a vehicle the dealer tries to squeeze more out of them .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information